Neurology Community
Help me understand my MRI

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Help me understand my MRI

I had an MRI done but my DR. didnt explain anything about it. He just touch my big toe and walked out. I neeed someone to help explain if it is bad .Here it is . There is severs disk space narrowing at L3-4. Severe disk space narrowing at L5-S1. There is mild posterolisthesis of L2 approximately 2mm. At L2-3 disk bulge is seen. Mild right neural foraminal stenosis. There is suggestion of annular tear.At L3-4 broad base disk bulge osteophyte is seen. Spinal canal is fairly capacious but moderate neural forminal stenosis. AtL4-5 disk bulge is seen.There is facet arthropathy. Moderate bilateral neural forminal stenosis.
Can you post a little bit about the type of pain you're having
I have shoooting pain in butt,legs and right foot. It hurt like putting a hot iron on thses body partd
There is severe disk space narrowing at L3-4. Severe disk space narrowing at L5-S1.

When the disc narrows, bone spurs often grow up around the disc. A narrow disc can be painful because it doesn’t have the same ability to absorb shocks as a normal disc does.

There is mild posterolisthesis of L2 approximately 2mm;

Posterolisthesis means backward displacement of a vertebra on a lower one, so your L2 vertebra which is on top of L3 has shifted back a little, the findings mild, so don’t worry about it.

You have a disc bulge at L2-3; a lot of disc bulges don’t cause any symptoms.

Mild right neural foraminal stenosis. There is suggestion of annular tear.

The foramina, are the holes that the nerve roots use to exit to the spine, stenosis means narrowing, so you have mild narrowing of the foramina. Probably from bone spurs (arthritis) the report states that you may have annular tear, which has to do with the disks again, it’s a tear in the outside ring or edge; they can heal over time. I wouldn’t worry about any of this.

At L3-4 broad base disk bulge osteophyte is seen Spinal canal is fairly capacious but moderate neural forminal stenosis.

Disk bulge osteophyte: Sometimes when a disc bulges it will become calcified or harden over time, this could be causing some of the moderate foraminal narrowing you have at this level. There are no problems with your spinal canal here.

At L4-5 disk bulge is seen. There is facet (arthropathy.is arthritis of the facet joints) Moderate bilateral neural forminal stenosis.

There are a lot of changes noted on this report, but a lot of it is just age related and probably not causing any symptoms. Any thing that’s mild, forget about and a lot of disc bulges don’t cause pain, it’s the herniations you have to worry about.

I think the pain you’re having is probably related to the disc space narrowing, which in turn causes problems with the facets joints, which causes arthritis, which in turn compresses the nerves. The treatment for degenerative disc disease often begins with physical therapy and exercises aimed at strengthening the muscles surrounding the spine. Anyway, It’s a place to start.

Take Care
Hi, Thank you for your question. In slipped disc or disc prolapse conditions symptoms may originate due to nerve root pressure, pressure on the spinal cord and pressure on the tail bone. Common symptoms could be paralysis of muscles, pain radiating to the arms or legs, leg pain and numbness, tingling, or weakness. Warning symptoms can include loss of control of the bladder function, paralysis & spasticity of both the legs. Since you are suffering continuous weakness and notice reduced strength of muscle bulk in left leg, please arrange an appointment with a neurologist right away. Further referral to a physiotherapist for spinal exercises could be beneficial and may produce relief of symptoms. Hope this helps. Take Care & Stay Healthy!!!