Neurology Community
Help with MRI results..what does it all mean???

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

I was having neck and arm pain so my doctor sent me for an x-ray then an MRI...Here are the results for the MRI that I don't understand...could somebody please tell me what it all means???
The craniovertebral junction is normal. At C2-C3, disc space height is well-maintained. Disc contours are normal. There is no compromise of the foramen or spinal canal. Moderate osteoarthritic changes are present in the left facet joint. At C3-C4 level, disc space height is well-maintained. There are small bilateral uncinate spurs. There is no compromise of the spinal canal or foramen. At C4-C5, there are mild osteoarthritic changes in the left facet joint, this level is otherwise unremarkable. At C5-C6, there is marked disc space narrowing with a broad disc osteophyte complex. Moderate bilateral uncinate spurring is present. The cross-sectional area of the spinal canal is borderline but adequate. There is mild bilateral foraminal narrowing. There is T2 hyperintensity seen in the vertebral body bone marrow at both C5 and C6, this is felt to represent reaction to degenerative disc disease. At C6-C7, there is moderate disc space narrowing with a large central disc osteophyte complex. This causes moderate stenosis of the spinal canal and there is moderately severe ventral deformity of the spinal cord as it crosses this level. There are large uncinate spurs bilaterally. Foramen show moderate narrowing bilaterally. The C7-T1 level shows disc space height is well-maintained. There is no compromise of the spinal canal or foramen. There are mild osteoarthritic changes in the facets bilaterally. No abnormal signal is seen in the spinal cord.

Impression
Impression: Moderately severe cervical spondylosis at C5-C6 and C6-C7. At the C6-C7 level there is a large disc osteophyte complex that causes a moderate degree of ventral deformity of the spinal cord as well as bilateral foraminal narrowing. There are no signal changes in the cord.

Thanks for any answers!!!!
Your physician/specialist should have discussed the results of the MRI with you. If you have not, please consult them. What I can tell you from internet search information and my own diagnosis is that you have extreme arthritis of the neck in the C5-C6 and C6-C7, and possibly bone spurs that may cause you discomfort. If your pain is chronic, lasting more than 3 months, you may need surgery to remove extra bone growth, which has a lengthy recovery period. The wear/tear in your fluid-like-jelly may be due to strenuous movement or repetitive exercise or just from aging naturally. You can't reverse the damage, but you may treat it with anesthesiology in the form of cortico-steroidal injections or anti-inflammatory drugs. Your physician/specialist will make the decision for you based on the results of your MRI and your current feelings. There is degeration to the cartilage that cushions the discs C5-C7 area. I also have pain in my shoulder, down the arm and tingling sensations, warmth, shooting pain, numbness. Constant pain in my neck on one side, and constant pain in my shoulder. Sometimes my forearm aches. I constantly have to stretch and be aware of my posture. I will be watching this post. Keep in touch with your physician/specialist. I will be waiting to see what happens from here.