Neurology Community
Hemifacial spasm and muscle twitches and cramps

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

8 months ago I had a slight twitch under my lower eyelid, as time progressed it had started involving the entire right side of my face. I was sent to a neurologist about 2 months after, who did and MRI and said it was negative and had diagnosed me with a hemifacial spasm (I am currently 21). The underlying cause was not known, he just recommended I use botox to stop the twitching. Just about 2 weeks ago I had slight twitches or spasms all over my body (legs, arms, neck, back). I then felt a slight pain on my left arm, it was pain but it did not prevent me from moving my arm or performing normal functions. I went to the ER and the doctor had said that my muscle strength was normal and had referred me to a neurologist to do an EMG.

My major concern is that this may be a serious neurological disorder (though my doctor suggested that my muscle strength was fine). I've read symptoms for BFS and other diseases (more scary ones like ALS or MS). My questoin is, is there a link between the hemifacial spasm and the body twitching? Does this occur for someone with BFS or would this suggest an even more serious neurological disorder?

Thank You!
Hi, Thank you for your question. The symptoms you are describing bear resemblance to few possibilities like facial nerve palsy, trigeminal neuralgia MPDS( myofacial pain dysfunction) and then TMJ disorder due to strenuous opening of mouth for long sittings of RCT. Facial nerve palsy is characterized by inability to close eye, loss of sensation on affected part, difficulty in speaking and mask like face on affected side because facial nerve innervates facial muscles and any damage to facial nerve may cause inability make facial expressions like smiling, frowning etc. Second possibility is Trigeminal neuralgia - neural pain of face with possible loss of sensation on the affected part of face but eye is seldom involved. It is usually associated with history of traumatic extraction of ipsilateral tooth. Third possibility can be sinusitis due to possible oro-antral fistula after extraction leading to sinus infection. This may lead to dull pain over the cheek area but inability to close eye and tongue involvement may not be explainable with this condition. You may consult an oral surgeon/physician/ neurologist to rule out above stated possibilities who may be able to help you in this regard. Take care.