Neurology Community
Hypnic Jerks / RLS
About This Community:

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Hypnic Jerks / RLS

Has anyone experienced severe hypnic jerks? My arms cross or straighten and stiffen. My head can turn to the right. My right arm can fly across my body. These movements are involuntary.

I have been diagnosed with hypnic jerks and restless legs & arms. I am taking gabapentin which works for my legs, but not my arms. The leg movements can be voluntary, but the arm movements are not. My legs can slam together and this is involuntary.

The other night my head turned to the right, both arms stiffened & straighten, then I experienced a painful jolt. All of my muscles were contracted. Next thing I know I am out. When I woke up the next morning, I was off balance and my coordination was off. My right leg and arm were affected. Much worse in the morning, but continued inermittently for a day to two.

Just recently, I experienced hand/arm tremors in sequence about 5 times. Then I was out until the next morning, I was fatigued and needed to nap during the day. During the nap, I experienced the tremors a few more times. Later that night, I took the medicine as directed went to sleep and tremored again a few times. When I woke up, my coordination was off much like a person who has had too much to drink. I can't find another way to explain it. I had a migraine at that point and could not stay at work.  

We have ruled out seizures and other disorders, but I can't make sense of the "morning after" effects. I am a pro at meditating and ignoring these movements so I can get to sleep, but it just seems severe to me.

The onset of these symtoms (symptoms) occurred when I was about 6 months post partum. I believe I have always had a sleep disorder, but this got out of control when my sleep cycle was disrupted.

My neurologist listens to what I have to say, so I feel pretty good about that. We are increasing the gabapentin and adding klonopin. I am also relieved that my neurological exams are always normal as are my MRIs.  Not too worried at this point, I would just like to get things under control so I can sleep like a normal person.

I was just curious if what I have described is typical for anyone with RLS.