Inderal for Essential Tremors
I just started taking Inderal for my tremors and it seems to me that my head is shaking more than it was before I started taking it.  I am only taking 10 mgs once a day.  Is it possible for this drug to have that kind of adverse effect?
Would taking 20 mgs work?  Thank you, Anna
Dear

The beta blocker propanolol (Inderal) has been used to treat ET for more than 40 years. It is not clear how Inderal reduces tremors, but the drug may work by blocking nerve impulses to the muscles. Approximately 50 to 60 percent of patients experience some improvement in functional disability, but total tremor suppression usually is not achieved. The greatest improvement is seen in hand and voice tremors.

Inderal doesn't aggravate tremors and so your feeling of increased head shaking cannot be attributed to Inderal. For a person with an essential tremor, the starting dose of Inderal is 40 mg twice a day. Based on the tremor response and/or Inderal side effects, your healthcare provider may increase or decrease the Inderal dosage.

Hence, the dose you are taking is suboptimum and may not be of any benefit in your tremor.

Thanks so much for your quick reply.  Actually my tremors are the head and the right hand.  Your information was very helpful.  Anna
I AM HAVING TREMORS IN RIGHT HAND FOR THE LAST 10 YRS.
I AM TAKING BETA CAP TR 40 MG OR CIPLAR LA 40 MG.
THERE IS SOME IMPROVEMENT. WILL IT MAKE ANY DIFFERENCE
IF START TAKING INDERAL 40 MG.
RAMESH R GUPTA
***@****