Neurology Community
Is it possible for a 16 year old to have a disk prolapse?!

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

I'm a 16 year old girl soon to be 17. 3 years ago I experienced lower back pain I just ignored it because I thought that it's impossible for a 14 year old to have any spine problem, it was on and off kind of pain but now it's impossible to ignore. 3 weeks ago a sudden jolt in my upper back startled me I couldn't move or even breath it hurt too much. And now I can't even walk straight my legs hurt most of the time and I can't sit or stand or even lay down without feeling numbness in both of my legs. I can't even sneeze or cough without feeling pain in my upper/middle back, I can't even left anything without feeling pain in my lower back, if I bend down I can't get up straight. I just feel like I'm too young for this kind of pain, I've been to the ER and I was told to go to a Neurosurgeon but the word surgeon freaks me out. So now I'm asking for advice what should I do? Medicine doesn't help and heat and ice don't work too.
Well, dear you need to get to the NS as soon as possible and get through this anxiety of yours because you have to see a NS.  It isn't uncommon for someone to be anxious in your situation, but you need to find out what you are dealing with and hopefully this physician can get you back to a pain-free, normal teenage life......look at it that way.  Look at the NS as being a source of resolving this problem of yours.  

Yes, it is possible for a teen to have spine issues.  

What pain meds have you been taking?  

Have you ever had an injury to your back?  What are your physical activities like?

What pain meds have you been taking?  

I've been taking cobal, loflam, omiz and Lyrica.. It helps with the back pain but not leg pain..
I may have fell few times and broke my bones but never on my back..
The sudden upper/middle back pain started when I first lifted my school bag it's just too heavy, and this is my last year in school so I have no social life outside of school. I just want to focus on school this year.
Yes, no matter the age, all things are possible, and in your case definitely probable.  Just do not fear the worst - but coming from experience back pain is something you should not ignore and get to a specialist ASAP!   Just because you go to  a back surgeon or regular md, you probably will need x-rays and MRI to see what they find first.  Calm down and breathe.  Go to your MD and get medical attention from him first and then they will helo with the pain, spasms and tell you how to treat what you can.  Most definitely they should order tests of your back, but you need to be examined first.  Do not sit and suffer, worry or get depressed. Take it one step at a time.  You could have just pulled something and your back is trying to protect the injury.  Good Luck and God Bless
Sounds like that bookbag is the culprit.  I just saw something on tv the other week about the increasing number of children with back injuries related to heavy book bags.  

Well... hmmm.....wonder why the loflam and Lyrica help with the back pain and not the leg pain.  Does your physician know this; the physician who prescribed this?