Is this an Osteoma?
My son has had recurring severe swelling and very severe pain in his sinus cavity on the right side of his forehead, we keep getting told it is a sinus infection. No cat scans or x-rays have been done to find out for sure. My question is could it be an osteoma?  I do know that it is not constant, it comes and goes but it is very very painful for him. Do you have any suggestions as to what could cause this?
Hi there. Sinus osteoma is a benign mass usually seen in the frontal sinus and a source of recurrent headache and/or recurrent sinusitis. This can occasionally result in mucocele formation and pneumoencephalus if the posterior wall of the frontal sinus is breached. There is severe sinus pain associated with plane take offs. Colonic polyps and osteomas are seen in Gardner syndrome. You need to undertake a CT scan to show hyperdense bony mass protruding into the sinus, which is missed on MRI due to dense compact bone structure. Consult a neurologist for these speculations. Hope this helps. Take care.
.