Neurology Community
Left side skull pain that radiates when vertical can sleep through the ...

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Left side skull pain that radiates when vertical can sleep through the night though

In April 2006 I experienced what felt a contustion type feeling to the left top part of my skull (not a headache-more structual).  I felt a prominent ridge on the left side where the pain seemed to be coming from.  Although I could have had this my whole life.  I consulted with a Neurologist and she ordered an MRI, MRA and MRV.  All of which came back fine. She ordered a Medrol dosepack - no response.  Wanted to give me a narcotic but I declined (have little kids).  Tried Cymbalta - no response.  We are not in August.  September, October and November were great months no contusion type feeling to left skull side.  Recurrence came in December.  Started me on Cymbalta again 30 mg daily titrating up to 60 mg daily.

Saught second opintion from another neurologist in December.  Had to make it through the day will this somewhat localized pain on the left ridge area.  It does radiate but only on left and specifically feels like something coming out of your head.  The neurologist looked at the MRA of intracranial vessels and there they were notable for fetal origin of the right posterior cerebral artery which is a normal vaiant.  Lab results unremarkable.  Tried Indocin 25 mg twic daily - increasing to 50 mg twice daily.  This is the same pain everyday! Still have headaches on Indocin.  Then gave occipital nerve block with 3 cc of 0.25% Marcaine with the addition of 40 mg of Depo-Medrol.  After four hours, the block wore off.  

Frustrated January 2007 had bone scan.  Came back with only mild uptake on the Pitutary Fossa - no concern.  February, March, April - good.  May back came the contusion like feeling to left side of skull again.  Went back to second neurologist this week wanted to prescribe Prednisone and said he did not know what was wrong.  I have an appt. with Neurology at the University of Michigan next week with a Neurologist.  I could use some insight to help me find an answer.  The pain is unilateral.  I sleep through the night.  I feel like I could scream by the end of the day.  I need help.  I am at a complete loss.  Please weigh in with any experience and knowledge one may have.  

Thank you for your time in this matter.
Is the scalp at the site of the headache especially tender to the touch?  Quix