Neurology Community
Lumbar Puncture Nightmare

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Lumbar Puncture Nightmare

Has anybody experienced temporary paralysis during a lumbar puncture? and I'd also like to know what you are meant to feel during the Lumbar Puncture. the doctor who did the Lumbar Puncture on me was a junior doctor and she had never done it before ( I had the Lp done for headaches!). I felt her go through something whilst the needle was in my back, i experienced pain. Then I felt her go through something else and the pain was soo severe that I can only describe it as the type of pain i would expect to feeel if I had been in a car accident or something. she got no fluid and also did another 2 unsucccessful attempts after id told her to stop. I was then given 2 paracetamol and her and her supervisor walked away telling me that I might have to stay in for a few days so that they could keep an eye on me, I was initially ment to go home 1 hour later.

Another patient then called the nurse who then tried to call the doctor back twice, she wouldnt come, the nurse then left the ward to bring a doctor because of the severe pain I was in and because she could see that my posture wasnt right.When the doctor did a neurological examination, I was paralysed from the belly button down. I was on strict bed rest for 6 hours and told that it was a case of watch and wait. I was given morphine and codeine that night. About 6 hours later, I got up and walked outside but had to be brought back in a wheel chair my spine was soo weak that i couldnt walk back. I was discharged 3 days later and it was then dismissed that anything much could go wrong during a LP and that I would have developed the symptoms anyway? another doctor told me that they might have just knicked a nerve and that i should get better in 2 weeks. I was dischargeed with anti inflamatory meds and paracetamol, after taking 120-150 mg's of codeien daily and Morphine since the procedure. I had to get a taxi to A and E the night i was discharged to get Codeine, I was in so much pain. I can now walk but I have pain in my upper back from the weight i am putting on it by leaning forward as I dont have much strenhtgh in my spine, I also get out of breath if i have walked for ten minutes and Im getting intermittent chest pains. I have pain in my legs, hips and lower back. I am getting headaches and tiredness. Dizziness on standing, sweats and uncontrolable shivering.I also have very little sensation in the left side of my lower body including my pelvis and left leg. I was meant to have a follow up there next week with the neurologist but i phoned up the neurology outpatients and they have not recieved a referal from the specialist which will mean that i will have to wait another 4 weeks if Im lucky to see them and I have a feeling that it wont be much point as they now seem to be covering it up. Im very concerned as Ive read about a condition called called adhesive archanoiditis that can occur if the needle goes in too far and it is unreversible. I went to A and E the other night they told me that I may have a slipped disc if the nerve that supports it is damaged but that in theory that couldnt happen during an Lp as the nerves in quiestion are higher up. they wouldnt CT scan my spine, they told me they would only do that if I had inconitinence, they gave me a letter to get my gp to refer me for it but this will take probably 2 months. I am getting very depressed about what has happened to me! As anyone else recovered from such symptoms? Any advice or suggestions? Also, I find it shocking that so may people have similar stories but yet people are not informed of the risks and yet it is used so widely!