Neurology Community
MRI of the Lumbo -Sacial-Spine

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

MRI of the Lumbo -Sacial-Spine

My husband is 39 yrs old .He has severe pain in thighs and numbness. we did a MRI it says:
L4-5 disc dehydration with central disc protusion causing thecal sac indentation and mild bilateral foraminal Narrowing.
Ls-s1 disc dehydration and mild central disc protusion wihtout significant effect on thecal sac or exiting nerve roots.
Doctor has suggested to do surgery .Please give suggesstion as soon as posible
Yes. Before surgery go through a physical rehab program which will show you exercises to eliminate the protrustion. You willl need a half-dozen one hour in-person sessions from a professional. Pay for this even if it is not covered by insurance.  The exercises cannot be learned from a DVD. Keep well hydrated, with liquids containing electrolytes. Acoid any lifting or riding in a vehicle without suspension (a seat on a subway, for example). Sleep with a pillow between your legs. Do NOT take muscle relaxants. They cause you to lose muscle tone. Ask the physician to prescribe a TENS device. Do a google search. When not in use keep the patches for the TENS in the refrigerator. No lifting at all for a while. No opiates. The pain comes from glial cell inflamation (inflammation), and the receptors on glial cells do not respond to opiates. As for a prescription patch of transdermal lidocaine. Keep the patch on the lumbar region no longer that 12-14 hours a day. On a VERY short term basis, suggest oral steroids. The initial inflamation (inflammation) has to be brouight down. Steroids should NOT be used on a long-term basis.
Thanks a lot for your suggestion
So we can avoid surgery but I would like to even know will  he cured completely after surgery or will there be any side effect after  surgery.As far as the pain is concerned he was just lying down after  returning form office as he was unable to sit.
This pain and burning sensation  is there with him for more than four years . He even has numbness  in his thighs which is even older than  12 yrs.
Even can u recommend to which doctor should he be referred if it is curable without surgery.
Regards
Nisarsait3
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello dear and welcome to the medhelp forum. I understand your concerns and empathize with you. The l4-l5 level disc protrusion causing compression of thecal sac. Thecal sac is a csf filled sac in the lumbar spine since there is no spinal cord and nerve roots hang like a horse’s tail containing lumbar, sacral and cocygeal nerve roots. This indentation affects these motor and sensory nerve and hence the symptoms. There is also foraminal narrowing on both the sides causing the thigh symptoms. You need to be offered conservative approach of NSAIDS, physical therapy, epidural injection of steroids to reduce the inflammation. decompressive disc surgery is the final option if the conservative approach fails to give the desired results. Wish your husband all the best.
Thanks a lot for yuor reply and concern .I would like to just ask u as I found u
are an Indian and even we are Indian staying in SaudiArabia .I would like to know weather can u do treatment for him If we are able to come to India.I would even require all details regarding treatment duration etc.
Regards
nassuha