Neurology Community
Meningioma Tumor - 39 years old

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Meningioma Tumor - 39 years old

I am 39 years old  (F) and was diagnosed with a Meningioma Tumor in my right frontal lobe appx 3 years ago.  The final determination was to watch the growth patterns as is was appx the size of an acorn or less.  Most recently, I have been having what I would consider "bothersome" bouts of depression.  It has been over 2 1/2 years since my last MRI - could this tumor be attributed to my reset onset of depression?  Note: My mother has had 2 Meningioma tumors so this appears to be inheritant?
I am sure you studied other sites about Meningiomas; I just looked at Johns Hopkins information because we just had a prayer request from a dear friend.  From what I read I would not wait to deal with it as it grows fast.  Get a second opinion and read http://www.radonc.jhmi.edu/radiosurgery/disorders/meningioma.asp

It isn't malignant but it can grow and metastasize(spread elsewhere in the body, usually lungs).  I am not an authority on Meningiomas but that article I read would lead me to act very fast.  Good luck and take care.
I have a mengioma which is touching my cerebellum.  It's about 10mmx9mm.  I was told by two neurologists that it just needs to me checked by MRI every few years.  One said they can grow rapidly but I had it checked about 18 months after it was first found and the report said it was small and stable.
After what I read today (see my post above) if I were you I would at least be checking it yearly.  I just talked to my friend that was diagnosed last month with Mengionma, she is having surgery Feb. 11th and was told that they can grow very fast.  Did you read John Hopkins site about this tumor?  That would be enough for me; I'd want the thing out now, but that's just me.  My friend said that she has known several people with it, one died, one is dying and others have recovered nicely and their symptoms are gone.  I don't mean to scare you but waiting years doesn't compute to me; anyone else have a comment about this?
Thank you very much for your response.  Since I first posted my question, I have had another MRI with contrast and my tumor shows no significant growth.  My first reaction when diagnosed was to remove it immediately as I watched what my mother went through.  I had a second opinion at the time of diagnosis and both Neurologists said surgery was not a good option at this time due to the size and probable slow growth rate.  Thank you so much and my thoughts are with your dear friend.

Joni
I reread your post and realized you did go to the doctor and had a scan;  Why can't you take it out now?  Is it in a place that would do more harm if you did have it out?  I can't believe how many people have this thing!

My friend is doing fine, she thought she would be a bit better than she is now.  I would pass along her post-op symptoms but these tumors are all in different places and one symptom would be different than another.

I wish you well and feel sad that people have to suffer with this (or anything else).  

It isn't cheap to go through illnesses either.  I really wish that everyone would go to www.congress.org and write to your congressmen and the President.  Write a letter and keep it in a "health" file, then you could rewrite the letter and send it again..  You might think that writing doesn't do any good but I think it does. Many people make a difference when they write and our elected officials need to know what we are all going through and what are experience has been.

One click sends an email to everyone; your state officials and the white house too.  Try it!

God Bless
Hello.

This is related to your query about depression and meningioma in the frontal lobe. Frontal lobes have a major role in mood regulation. In a right handed person, the right frontal lobe serves to depress the mood, whereas the left frontal lobe elevates. It can be vice versa for a left handed person.

If the tumor is small, it must be irritating the nerve cells nearby. So, we can expect a hyper excitable right frontal lobe (which may be seen in an EEG). This can led to depression of mood swings. The other reason for your depression cold be the thought of having a brain tumor.

Regards
My questions are related to the diet followed when one is treated for meningioma:
Does anyone have any information about whether milk is contra indicated for meningioma treatment?
And whether an alkaline diet is recommended.
And lastly, is elevated Calcium in the diet not recommended?
Thank you and have a great day.
Gigi