Neurology Community
Mild Vermian Atrophy

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Mild Vermian Atrophy

Hi!  I was told by the secretary over the phone that I have some sort of mild vermian atrophy after having a CT Scan done.  The Ventricules are normal and no intra and extra lesions.  Now when I asked her what is mild vermian atrophy; I get no answer. Would be possible just to tell me what is a mild vermian atrophy and is it troublesome please.

Avatar n tn
Hi.

A vermian atrophy is basically "shrinkage" of the middle part (the vermis) of your cerebellum. If symptomatic, cerebellar disorders usually present with incoordination, ataxia, and gait disorders. However, I am assuming these symptoms are not the reason why you had a CT scan done, and this is only an incidental finding.

At present, if there are no symptoms related to cerebellar dysfunction, there would be nothing to worry about with this finding. There have been many reports of persons with this incidental finding that have been asymptomatic.

To further understand this, you could talk to your neurologist.

Hope this helps.

Avatar n tn
Thank you for your comment.  Unfortunately I went to see many doctors due to the fact that my front part of my head just swelled up out of the blue, had dizzy spells for a little while and my ears were really hurting.   I went to see many doctors, family, ENT, and alot of blood work was done also.  Everything came back normal except this last finding.  No symptoms of bleeding in the brain nor tumors.  A CT scan was ordered by my ENT.  Was it a sinus infection that caused all this.  They gave me bioxin to take for 10 days and I feel alot better, but I still get little dizzy spells when I get up too fast.  The swelling of the head went down a couple days later and the swelling was very hard.   Its like the skull itself swelled up.  Thanks again .
Avatar n tn
Hi.

An infection is, indeed, possible as the cause of the symptoms you described, especially since it was relieved with intake of clarithromycin (Biaxin), which is an antibiotic.

It's good to know your condition has improved. I wish you good health in the future.