Neurology Community
Mitral Valve Prolapse

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Mitral Valve Prolapse

I am very scared. I just turned 30 and seeing a dr. for chest pains since last year. It all started when I stood up quickly and yelled at the kids to settle down. I had gotten a sharp pain in the center of my chest along w/a pounding heart. It really hurt. Went to er and did some minor tests sent me home. Continued to have problems 1month, went to my dr. Did blood work for thyroid,heart holter all normal. My blood pressure was high put me on pills. Said it was just anxiety. Problems went away after 2months and returned 8months later. Problems now worse. Fatigue,weakness,chest pressure and pain,sharp pains in bones, breathlessness, cold hands/feet,headache along w/other things. Went to a new dr. today and she heard a soft heart murmur, slightly elevated bp,and said all my symptoms are related to mitral valve prolapse. She had me do blood work and is going to have me go for echocardiogram to be sure that this is what is causing my problems. Does anyone have this problem? Also when I get startled by phone ringing or when someone scares me I get a sharp pain in my chest. Is this part of mitral valve prolapse? Please send me some peace of mind. Iam scared!
Tags: valve
Hi, just scrolling through messages and came across this one.  Sorry to hear you are having problems and hope you have had some answers.  I have mitral valve prolapse too.  As far as I understand it means the valves between the upper and lower chambers of the heart do not close completely, so blood leaks between the two, putting a little extra strain on the heart.  Generally it is not a major problem, and many people who have this go through their whole lives withought problems.  It may be that you need to take precautions such as antibiotics before dental procedures, but in all  this is not generally a dangerous condition, just a slightly faulty heart which means you have to look after yourself a bit more.  Of course I cannot know the full story, but if your doctor is not worried, then you can relax.  I hope your echo shows good results and you feel better.  I have chronic chest pain too, so I know how alarming it can be, but not all chest pain is serious, and once you have your results in I hope they are good and you can take this in your stride.  Hope this helps.
hello again, sorry it took so long to reply back. i did have the echo done and it showed that i have 3 leaky heart valves. Mitral regurgitation with no prolapse, tricuspid regurgitaion, and mild pulmonary insufficiancy. all mild. but still scary. the only problem i have been having now is a really fast heart rate out of no where. sometimes it wakes me up in the middle of the night going over 120bpm. i am seeing a cardiologist and he said that this will not cause me to drop dead or heart attack or anything. but i am a very anxious person. if i feel that its starting to race than i get very anxiety like which don't help it any. i have tryed baring down and lightly rubbing the pulse in my neck like the dr. said to do but it does not help. iam taking propranolol 3 times a day at total of 30mg. and sometimes seem to not be helping. i am allways on the net looking tachycardia up and i'v read that it is lifethreatening. dr. says no but websites say yes. i don't know maybe it's just anxiey. but anyways thanks for replying and your concerns!! it's nice to have someone to talk to when you have already driven everyone else crazy around ya due to worring. thank you!!!!