Neurology Community
Mri of the Lumbar region

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Mri of the Lumbar region

My Rheumatologist sent me for an Mri of the Lumbar region, because of bilateral leg weakness and lower back pain. The Mri report stated " There is a small paracentral herniation on the left that indents the caudal sac L5-S1. A minimal subligamentous herniation seen at L4-L5, which is of questionable significance."

I have been referred to a neurologist. Do you think this will require surgery?

When an Mri of the Lumbar region (or any region or segment of the spine) is performed, is there one sagittal (side view or profile) image of the entire spine always included with the Mri, and if so, what is this one image called?

Thanks so much in advance for anyone that can help.
Tags: Back pain
Surgeons tend to look for opportunities to operate, but that is not to say that they don't try other things first to rule out candidates that don't need surgery. So, emphasize that you prefer to fully explore and try all conservative methods before considering surgery. And, then, know that surgery may make it worse or not help at all. Look up statistics and don't go by just want the doctor says as they have a profit motive, especially when replacing disks. Don't be a guinea pig.
If you can afford it, you can also visit other specialists, but don't let someone treat you in any way on the spot. I mean, don't let a chiropractor do an on the spot adjustment to something that has herniations. Find out if physical therapy is appropriate.