Neurology Community
Muscle twitching and ringing ear

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Muscle twitching and ringing ear

52 year old women! Maybe menopausal? Does anyone have tinnitus in the right ear along with muscle twitching? My muscle twitching started after I was diagnosed with plantar fasciitis.  I had severe calf pain along with cramping of the arches of my feet. The calf pain continued for months. The severe pain went away finally then muscle twitching of the legs started. Twitching began to progress through out my body.  Had numerous blood test. Everything was normal ranges. My electrolyte panel was all in the normal ranges. Rheumatologist had eeg done and that was negative. Went to neurologist and he started me on sinemet.  Didn't really help much. He gave to me only to help me sleep. Two months have passed then I got a cold. Tinnitus started in my right ear.
Had hearing test and I have moderate hearing loss in my right ear. I also had MRI and everything was fine
I was wondering if the muscle twitching could cause tinnitus in the ear. My neck muscles get tense in the evening.
So confusing, not sure if all of these symptoms are related or numerous things going on. HELP!
Hi!
I am sorry to hear about your medical problems. If electrolytes are normal, then the following should be checked if not done already: vitamin B complex, or vitamins B1, B3, or B6 and Vitamin D. Generally deficiencies of any of the above can cause muscle twitching and spasms in localized or generalized areas of the body. Get your kidney function, parathyroid gland function and adrenal function tests done because these affect the electrolyte balance in the body. Stress, alcohol, caffeine and fatigue all cause similar symptoms. Hence if you take alcohol or coffee then cut this down. Sleep at regular hours and see if it helps. Certain sleep disorders and peripheral nerve disorders due to diabetes, Lyme's, lupus or hypothyroidism can also be the cause. It can be benign fasciculation syndrome if all causes are ruled out. Please discuss with your doctor. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.