Neurology Community
My Twitching has stopped a quick question

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

About 2.5 years I developed body wide twitching, Calfs, arms, back,  face, neck, you name it, it twitched. I freaked out and went to my primary care, he sent me to a neurologyst. EMG performed OK, Nerve Study OK, Brian MRI OK (I have a brain ), Was told its anxiety, try to relax, take some of these ( xanax). I did not take the pills, instead i started with some Yoga and stuff. Twitching got better, moved on to my next disease (Hypochondria).

About 8 weeks ago the tip of my tongue began to twitch, I went to a neuro he said it was nothing, did a brief exam and said try to relax. No weeakness, no swallowing dificulties no slurred speach. I thought to my self what a wierd experience, my tongue twitches and he says dont worry about it. Any way I noticed that the tongue twitch got worse after I excercised. If I ran it was terrible and then it would settle down. Any way for the last 7 days I stopped the gym and the tongue twitch has disappered.

Questions

1. In Als does the twitching start and stop ?

2. In ALS does excersise effect the twitching?

3. How long do I have to wait and watch to see if any other symptoms present their self to be in the clear?

4. Am I crazy ?

Thanks everyone
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello.

You are not crazy, at all. Your symptoms are characteristic of Benign Fasciculation Syndrome. And as the word benign suggests, it is not harmful in any way. If you are thinking of ALS, it is due to your anxiety.

The twitching in ALS is because of gradual loss of nerve supply to the muscles. It is also accompanied by weakness of the muscles.  The twitching changes its sites, but your symptoms do not suggest ALS.

Exercise does increase the twitching. You can resume your exercise slowly and watch over a couple of weeks.

Regards