Neurology Community
My thumb is numb and purple!

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

My thumb is numb and purple!

For months now my thumb on my right hand would go numb, kind of spasm and turn purple. It would happen off and on and only last maybe fifteen minutes. About three weeks ago it happened again, only this time the color did not return to normal. It stayed this way for about 48 hrs and was followed with numbness and tingling. It is still numb three weeks later and after a trip to urgent care, my PCP and a rheumatologist I was referred to a neurologist. I have a slight case of carpal tunnel ( I'm 27) I have a MRI appointment to have my neck looked at. What would a neck injury have to do with my thumb going numb? What is the likely hood this could be the problem? What about the purple color?
The health care provider ordered an MRI of your neck because they wish to check to be sure that your spine is not compressed at the level of your neck.  The nerves travel from the spinal cord all the way out to the tips of your fingers and toes then return to the spinal cord and into your brain where your brain translates what type of message it is (pain, hot, cold, itchy, numb etc).  There is a section of your spinal cord in your neck called the cervical region.  The cervical section of your spinal cord has seven different areas related to the spinous process (bones).  They are numbered C-1 through C-7.  It just so happens that C-6 nerve travels all the way out to your thumb, so this is why they want to rule out any issues with your neck. Hope this helps.