Neurology Community
Neck and Shoulder pain after C5-6 fusion.

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Viewing 201-236 comments:
Please get second opinion I agree burning them is not fixing them!!!!  I HAD Cervical anterior discectomy on c5-c6 that was in Aug.  after surgery I had pain but it progressively got worse.  I went back to dr. and they did an xray - of course that did not show anything so I ask for an MRI well that showed that now the disc below in budging into the spine! so that is why I have that pain again.  and I can tell you that if I do a lot my neck feels like it is on fire and severe pain and it actually feels swollen!  my dr. told me to go to my pain mgt dr to maybe get a shot again.  I know that will be temporary and I am very depressed about this situation.  I thought that once I got the surgery I would be a new woman.. not the case at all... I go to work then home and lay down for a while until it feels ok then I get up and deal with my home life.   this is really horrible.    
Hey Jaz, it is comforting to hear that I am not the only one feeling this way.  The thing is, if I don't do such strenuous work, it doesn't bother me as much.  I tried to take Ibuprofen but unfortunately, three days after taking 800 mg. a day, I did feel better but then I started bleeding at the rectum.  I thought  it might be the ibuprofen so I stopped taking it and no more bleeding.  I am not talking a little blood.  I mean bright red, passing gas and blood squirting out bleeding.  It scared me.  My surgeon told me that he could do no more for me surgically, so things were out of his hands but then he passed on the info about getting the nerve block that is different from the typical cortizone injections.  I'm so tired.  So tired of going through the motions and feeling more pain every time they try something different.  I'm frightened.  Thinking of filing for disability from work and of course everyone is like "oh, why would you not try something else that could help."  Well, after reading up on it, you must be fully awake while they probe for the nerve and when they find the nerve, they burn it and you are supposedly in worse pain then you currently are for about a week and then you get better.  But it might only last 6 mos. to a year.  :(  
Looking for comments about people who have had Medial Branch Blocks/Radiofrequency Rhizotomy.  How did it go and tell me about the procedure, side effects and if it worked/how long did it work and any other info you can give me.  Would you do it again?  
Please help--Anyone who has had this procedure--Medial Branch Blocks/Radiofrequency Rhizotomy--Looking for comments about people who have had Medial Branch Blocks/Radiofrequency Rhizotomy.  How did it go and tell me about the procedure, side effects and if it worked/how long did it work and any other info you can give me.  Would you do it again?   My surgeon suggested it after cervical ACDF with plate since I am still having pain ten months after surgery.
Hi  I too have experienced so much pain and weakness since my surgery.  10 months out and i feel weaker on my left side and unfortunately it is my dominant hand and side.  now the surgeon is suggesting Medial Branch Blocks/Radiofrequency Rhizotomy.  I'm afraid to have any more procedures done.  I know it may block the pain but what about the weakness?  I have heard it is quite painful until after the first couple of weeks but I am so distrustful of any of it since I was assured I would be fixed after the ACDF with plate.  The surgeon assures me that he has fixed the herniated disk and it has healed but a whole new set of problems arose afterward.  I cry sometimes thinking, "Why did I do this to begin with."  My quality of life is shot.  I had pain before the surgery but it seemed trivial in hindsight compared to how I feel now.  I don't enjoy life anymore.  I live day to day.  I do nothing when I don't work except stay at home and ice, relax and rest.  I think it is time to start looking into disability social security because I cannot compromise what little life I have left.  I come home daily after working and the pain by bedtime is so debilitating I just want to cry.  After a weekend of being on the couch and/or holidays, I get rejuvenated just to go back out and start all over again.  I'm ready to be put out to pasture.  I don't regret what I had, but have to accept what I have left in life.  It's strange because although it has been basically cervical pain and down the left shoulder, the middle of my pack has a trigger pain spot to the right of my spine that massage or anything else does not seem to help.  I know I have what they call Degenerative Disk Disease.  I didn't know that it meant changes would happen so rapidly after they started.  I am not even sure that is what is causing all of this.  I can't blame the surgeon.  He did what he set out to do and completed his mission, but I truly believe that once you open up and work on the spinal area, it messes with other nerves and brings on other problems.  He's done MRI and says now the Medial Branch Blocks/Radiofrequency Rhizotomy could be my next step to living without some of the pain but I am opting out this time.  I don't want to be touched in the spinal column area anymore.  I am 55 and have only 4 1/2 years before I can get retirement benefits from my job, and I know that sounds like very little time but it seems like a lifetime to me. Again, has anyone had Medial Branch Blocks/Radiofrequency Rhizotomy and found it to be enough of a benefit to conquer the procedure?  If you did it, can you give me your story, your age, and how you came about to needing it?  Or if you are a physician, do you find that DDD only gets worse and constant bending, twisting, lifting and movement can cause the spine to degenerate quicker than if you just do walking exercises and what your body tells you.  Is it time to file for disability before what little quality of life I have left or should I wait.  I really don't know how it works, but I do know my dad told me when I was a kid, that I am the only one who truly knows how I feel (when I needed to go to the doctor).  I feel I should go on and do it because I don't want to make others miserable along with me at work and have to pick up the slack for me because I can't do all the things I did before the surgery.  
I totally understand and feel the same way.  I am opting to quit work and go on disability because I can't do the job I used to do without help from others and how fair is that to them to have to take care of me instead of me doing my own job.  They have enough to do without helping me and that is what is happening.  It's not getting any better.  It only gets worse everyday.  
sad and disappointed
i have read all these i had c4 done .i have same problems and it hurts when i yawn .now c3 c6c7 look bad they were not bad before .tingly fingers shoulder pain and neck pain and head aches.i have strength and good movement ,i cant sleep for more than 2 hrs at a time cause of pain ,if i do to much i have more pain .i cant take it any more the doctors act like theres nothing wrong .its ben a year now.still on pain meds and therapy not helping .is there a class action suit for bad procedure or anything

See if Dr will prescribe Topamax.
I had a bad experience with the PEEK cage implant. I was suffering from severe pain, swelling and severe headaches 11 mo. after a c5-c6 fusion I had done in 2012. I kept complaining to the surgeon who of course said nothing was wrong and I was exaggerating. But I was in a lot of pain. He finally ordered an MRI and CAT scan and both showed that my fusion was completely healed and bones where fused. I just didn't feel like it was. My injury was caused by a car accident so the insurance stepped in (seeing this as a way out of paying anymore). They ordered an IME (independent medical exam) and the Dr. they sent me to had his doubts about the fusion but couldn't prove it because all the tests said it was fused. He suggested that the only way to be certain was for him to open me back up and visually inspect it. He believed me as he saw an abnormality in an x ray.  I made a deal with the insurance company to allow him to inspect the fusion and if was indeed healed I would pay for the second surgery and drop my case, but if it had failed they would pay for the second surgery and all the rehab. This was the hardest decision of my life as the surgeon could have opened me up and sewn me shut and possibly find nothing structurally wrong. In my heart I would not have been able to live with myself without knowing for sure. I had the second surgery and the result was the fusion had completely FAILED! The surgeon was able to pull the PEEK cage out in one piece with no resistance. He told me he had never seen this in his 20+ years of neck specialist. In fact he kept the PEEK cage in a specimen jar to teach his students what can happen. He showed me that the bone graph grew somewhat in the middle of the PEEK implant which showed in the CAT scan as fused. The PEEK implant is a piece of plastic with a hole in the middle like a donut that they fill with bone graph and implant it in place of the disc. Mine did not fuse to the vertebrae above or below it at all. The Dr. had to revise my fusion but he did not use a PEEK cage or any cage just bone graph. Now I am 5mo post op (2nd surgery) and in Therapy. I am doing better than the first surgery but I still have severe headaches almost every day. I have weakness in my left hand. I also have moderate pain 24/7 in my neck. I can't look up very well and if I close my eyes and look around I get dizzy and wobbly. I hope this share will help others to understand they are not alone and the risks of this surgery are greater than the Dr.'s care to tell you. It was necessary for me because my spinal cord was being pinched by the herniated disk and I was in risk of paralysis but Please consider all the side effects and do some research before you get this done to you for neck pain or something that is less threating as I will never be able to go back to being a electrician again after this.
Please reply if anyone else has been through anything similar to my experience above. My surgeon and I believe there is a problem with the PEEK cage although not many surgeons will admit it. If you have a PEEK implant and are having side effects please know you are not alone and there is hope. I shared my story above.
I am in the same position.  I wish you well and if I had any advice I would share it.  It has only been close to three months and my surgery was C3 through C7,  I feel like I lost complete motion in my next from side to side and won't drive due to fear because I know I do not have complete motion. I felt I had no choice due to my legs shaking very badly and numbness - I still have numbness in my feet and my chin down to my chest... My neck never hurt before but now it hurts everyday.  I also have headaches everyday-where as I never had them before.  I chose not to take any pain medication from the start... this includes after surgery.  I am not convinced that was such a good idea- But I know if I had, I would still be needing them.  If I can add any information in the future to help, I certainly will.
Best of luck.
I love how honest you are about the way they treat us,
The only people who get good care, are athletes, or people with premium insurance plans.
I had a (2) level anterior cervical fusion, thanks to a drunk driver. It fell apart, and that did not show on the MRI. so they left me like that for 2 years!
I was in the worst agony, so back to primary care doctor. He believed me and sent me to the BEST neurosurgeon ever. He is one of the top 5 in the USA, and he was not an arrogant jerk.
He told me, the levels above the first fusion "are going". When he cut into me, he saw, that the first fusion "fell apart, the plate was popped off and all the screws were wiggly." None of that shows up on an MRI? It also, never fused. The doctor just blew me off, and did not even have me come in!
They never believe us, and hard to find anyone that LISTENS to the person instead of thinking, all of us are faking it.
Now, I have (4) levels fused, and my left hand, cannot hold anything anymore. It shakes and just drops, anything, even a small plate. I feel pinching in my neck on the left side, and my insurance will not pay for an osteopath I found. He is amazing. I was able to ditch Kadian and oxycontin. I still take 20mg oxycodone, 2-3 x's a day, but that is way down from 30mgs. I can still feel the titanium digging in, and my neck is always a bit purple.
Radio frequency got rid of my headaches, but after the first procedure, the next one was so painful, and I was all swollen at the injection site for over a month.
I have a medical mj card, and it sure allows me to finally, sleep through the night. The osteopath, I cannot afford often, is a medical mj doctor too.
His manipulations, prove, that he has a special gift in this area. You get instant relief, no matter how you come in the door.
Insurance only pays for drugs and needles.
No more needles for me ever. Steroids are not good for anyone.
I saw that place advertised on tv. I wish there was one in Connecticut.
We have nothing helpful.
One osteopath, but he only takes cash. (great instant relief) DO.
Lucky you...I would go to them in a heartbeat, if they were closer.
I have a 4 level cervical anterior fusion in 2010. I am having pinching-like pain, and my left hand keeps dropping everything, even if its not heavy.
My hand shakes and is pins and needles, and I have pain across my throat, and also down the left side of my upper back, neck and shoulder, to the elbow and hand.
I guess I maybe need to just suck it up. Nobody cares, or insurance does not pay. Welcome to America~
Any chance there is an osteopath (hands on) in your area?
Ask around or ask the neurosurgeon if he can refer you to a( D.O.)
doctor of osteopath.
There is only one, that I am aware of, in Connecticut.
He is like a magician, and he has straightened out my pelvis, which was twisted, thus chronic S-1 pain, hip pain, and groin pain.
My neck has a (4) level fusion with (8) screws and a plate. He does "cranio" work on it, and has actually put me to sleep, right at the appointment.

Good luck to you~
Do you live in Maryland?  I had the same spiel from my doctor which literally frightened me into having surgery.  And I am worse now than before surgery.  It has crippled me.
I had surgery to correct C-5 to 6 and 6 to 7 with PEEK back in December 2013 and still have pain in the side of my neck, which feels like a muscle spasm. A few months ago I developed a jerking movement in my thumb and forefinger on the same side as the muscle spasm. As with you, my doctor said the ex-rays look good. I had an MRI with another doctor and am awaiting the results. I am interested to see what he has to say. I also had great hopes that surgery would fix the problem. I am now back on pain meds and muscle relaxers.
what is a myelogram
The first thing I would do is give the hubby an ultimatum, step up to the plate or get out!! If he doesn't want to go back to what he was doing, find something else. If he can't do that, it's time for you to realize, he doesn't care about you. He is lazy irresponsible and selfish. (sorry I call em like I see em.)
I'm seven weeks post op C5-6 discectomy with fusion.
I'm wondering if anyone who has had a similar procedure has suffered with symptoms of vertigo, before or after their operation.
Josie2122
I thought it important to share my story so that other don't only see the results. I had my cervical fusion at 4 levels, all of which were pinching the nerves from c-4 to t-1 on June 25, 2014. The discs were replaced and a plate was put in place. I never had to wear a neck brace.  Immediately following the surgery I had relief from the debilitating nerve pain that caused constant pain in my left shoulder and pain and numbness that effected my left arm. I was able to return to work within 4 weeks and only took Percocet and muscle relaxers for 4 days. I now have been going through physical therapy due to muscle spasms and weakness, however these issues are no where near as bad as the previous nerve pain. Everyday I get better and closer to being pain free. It was explained to me that prior to and following the surgery my muscles stopped functioning properly and would go into protection mode, hence the muscle spasms. With good physical therapy it is possible to return to normal activity, although care will need to be taken to not damage the discs above and below the fusion.
For anyone considering having the surgery you should extensively research the surgeon and go with the best who specializes in this type of surgery. No second rate surgeons or hospitals will do.

There are those of us who have had success and who would do it again if necessary!
I'm 35 and I had surgery on my c7 t1 on November 2009. Just last month I was having some of the old issues. Went to the doctor and got a scan. Found out my screw has fractured. since then my symptoms have been getting worse for example, my neck is constantly swelling up in the plate area. My neck is getting so sore some day's, that I get bad headaches from it. Not to mention my spasms and weakness in my right arm and hand again. My life is on hold again. Can't even get in to see the surgeon untill oct 27th and that's just to see him for the 1st time since this has started again. I hope he finally makes the discussion to take it out. After the sergery (surgery) I told him I felt something in my throat all the time. He said to me that is because you do have something there and that I just have to deal with it.
I am a triathlete- after years of use/abuse & training for-completing 5 IM's, previously diagnosed herniated & bulging dics developed in to bone spurs.
I had the surgery in May. Began walking right away & after a week or so, began sitting on my bike trainer-EZ.
Well, it seems that whenever I run or swim, I get this excruciating pain/'burning' in my left shoulder. I've taken days 'off' only for the pain to recur & sometimes 'spasms'/pain last a couple days.
Even doing some activities of daily living will aggravate it.  SOO frustrating.
Anyone else, experience anything like this?
Robin
I had a very serious RTA in 1997 which left me with multiple skull fractures, facial bones fracture, right eye hanging out with skull fragments stuck in it, broke my neck in 2 places, crushed my left shoulder. I feel very lucky to be alive and the original surgeons did fantastic work, frontal lobe elevation, 5 cromia plasties on left shoulder( might be spelt wrong), I have had I think 19 operations since then (2 for biopsy for cancer I never had).It has taken the surgeons 17 years to finally listen to me about the numbness and pain in my arms and legs and sharp sock like pain, eventually on September 24th 2014  the did an ACDF on my c5/c6 which I was discharged the day after, although my numbness, sharp pain in arms and legs is gone, I now have the most excruciating pain in the left side of my neck, left shoulder and back of left arm 24/7 and sometimes twitching of the deltoid, biceip and triceip muscles . I have never really taken pain killers as I believe the may solve one problem but give you 5 more and I normally have a very high pain barrier but am taking DF118 now which only numbs it a bit, meeting surgeons tomorrow at my forced request as I cannot take another 17 years of this pain as even worse now, any help advice would be great. one thing that has helped ease the pain in my shoulder which I now rub on my neck and new pain areas is Olbas oil, not a permanent fix but helps during day/night
Hi i had my 4th and 5th done almost 8 years ago and up untill last year did i start to experience pain in my shoulders and neck, with at times numbness and tingilin in my armsand chest.. My problem is sometimes but not all the time the pain is intense in my neck and shoulders i dont want to move. i have been prescribed mobic and gabapentin but as of yet i dont think its helping much. Does anyone have any susgestions that might help my problem,? and what do you think about taking a narcodic ?
Hi, I had surgery done on my 5th & 6th vertebrate. I was having excruciating pain .While I was at work I would have heating pad on my right arm and a heated beanbag on my neck. Some days it was so bad that I would cry even in my office. I tried chiropractic,physical therapy. Nothing helped at night I would sit in a tub of hot water. I would sometimes take 3 baths a night. I talked to my doctor about this - told her skip the middle pain and go for surgery. She recommended me to a surgeon that specializes in neck fusion.
I had the surgery. When the surgeon got into me he found a huge bone spur and bugling disc on my 5th and 6th vertebrate. He fused and placed a metal plate in me.When I woke from surgery no more pain! This was great until a week ago. Now the pain is coming back with all the former pain!
I went to the doctor and he put me on med that seem to help as long as I stay on top of them. A side effect though it makes me loopy.I don't want to do surgery again for the cost and it may not work again. The relief from the pain lasted from March to Oct. My family does not seem to understand that I would be in pain again. Has anyone else had this happen to you?
I'm in the same boat! Shakiness, muscle fasciculations, exhaustion. Now really high blood pressure and irregular EKG's, but Dr. says none related. I have zero life now and used to enjoy hiking, yoga etc. I am way worse than before the surgery and don't have any help or answers. Today and lately, I've just been wishing for the end.
Hi Gary,
My name is Leslie, and I just had a cervical spine fusion, C-5.C-6 3 weeks ago. My neck is much better, and the only problem I have is not being able to sleep as I desire. Sometimes I feel as if my breath will be my last. I had such horrible pain in my left should generating on into my arms and my hand. A recent MRI showed that my rotator cuff has a large tare and my surgery is scheduled for Nov. 7th. I don't have much to say,except I do know the power of prayer, and I am going to pray for your wife and you. Trust God when it seems nothing else will work, and I promise he will change things!!
Hi I had c5/c6 removed September since then my neck pain is worse it radiates into my shoulders and makes my arms ache I'm at my Whits end .Spend half my time in tears as feel so low due to not sleeping.
Hi, I had a cervical spine surgery because the also told me I had degenerating spine. They replaced two disc and put a plate and screws. I hurt worse today and its been 9 months since my surgery. My shoulders and neck never stop hurting and it is so hard for my to sleep or sit. I still have so many problems and I'm scared to have any other surgery. My lower back hurts like I don't know what, and they say I have bone spurs in my hip and lower back. Know they have told me I have lupus. I just want some relief.
Sounds like you had the exact surgery I did.  Mine was in April and now it is December.   I started having pain in November sometime described as what you have.   I have an appointment in December to see what is causing numbness 7 months after the surgery.  I was doing incredible but now I wake up and my hands are both like they've been asleep.   One pill and 45 minutes and then I'm good for the rest of the day.   "Fortunately" I have a followup appointment next month and can't wait to see if there were any changes.

I agree I would not wish this on my number one enemy.  If you can go with having the surgery I highly suggest I can not stand to cough because it hurt my shoulder so bad.  This is a no joke surgery.
I am so glad I found this forum as I am much worse now than before my most recent surgery.  My story... I had a disc herniation 6 years ago at C6/C7 and the resulting ACDF using my own bone was very successful. The pain and numbness I had in my left arm was almost immediately relieved. Awesome!

About 2.5 years ago I started having walking balance type issues. Just a lack of confidence in my gait. About 6 months later, I started getting extremely cold burning spots (softball size) in the same spot on my right arm/elbow forearm and right calf. The doctor sent me to a neurologist who did physical therapy and ultimately an MRI (brain and spine with dye) which revealed another herniation with pressure on the spine at C5/C6. In the mean time, a warm spot developed on my left calf and numb/warm spot on my left back shoulder. The diagnosis was cervical spondylitis with myelopathy.

I had surgery approx. 3 1/2months ago with an artificial disc at C5/C6 (successful according to surgeon and xrays) but my symptoms are sometimes even worse now. Furthermore, I now have some left leg and left arm/hand pain with some occasional twitching and clumsiness.

I expected the surgery to be the answer but I have so much anxiety now. I wondered if the cervical issue was not the real problem. Perhaps I had ALS or MS. I recently visited the neurologist and she did another MRI revealing that the new disc was not pressing on the spine, some basic neuro tests again, reflex (no real reflex in arms, slight hyper in right knee #3 on right knee and #2 on left knee, Babinski (normal), standing and walking tests, strength tests, and ultimately stated that I did not have MS or ALS as I worried about. She is fairly positive its related to my cervical issues and recent surgery. She states that I just went through a major surgery and I need to give my body and spine time to heal.

I sure hope she is right as I cant really do much at this time due to the pain and anxiety.  Ugh!
So happy to have found I am not the only one still in pain after surgery my surgeon had me thinking i was crazy. I had Surgery Jan 2014 I will be 1 year post op next week. I had surgery on c5-6 they said I had spinal stenosis and arthritis forming on the left side of my neck. After PT for 3 months i had 2 steroid injections and they did not help if anything I felt worse after. Finally they said I had to have surgery. I thought I was going to feel even 50 % better than I did but NO.... I now have numbness in my face, Severe pain in the middle of my back , Pain in my Right shoulder and tingling and weakness in my right arm.. Head aches are bad and can't sleep... I just want the pain to end Im a 30 year old mother of 3 and can't imagine having to deal with this pain for the rest of my life... Im afraid to hear what they are going to say next week. I dont know if i should get a second opinion..
It is difficult to differentiate what symptoms are part of your recovery, and what symptoms are due to the failure of the second procedure.

Don't fear information -- see what your docs have to say next week. Ask questions.

Perhaps the time for a second opinion was before the surgery, however, if your doctors suggest even more surgery, or tell you that they can't help, then seek a spine specialist, preferably one who is not a surgeon.

In the mean time, research spinal stenosis, foramenal stenosis, and failed back syndrome, and their treatment options. You can find this information on these conditions on spine sites like spineuniverse.com or spine-health.com, as well as many other sources.

Your research will no doubt bring up many questions -- write them down for your visit next week and seek answers.

You should know that this journey of pain relief is not over yet. You're in a situation that is common with survivors of back and neck surgery. For many resolving the pain of spine disease after surgery requires a great deal of determination and perseverance in seeking answers and options.

There are still treatment options that will reduce your pain and allow you to live a normal life. However, you cannot rely on your doctor to find those solutions. Taking responsibility for your own health involves self education about your condition and possible treatment options and outcomes. You need to familiarize yourself with the various types of spine practitioners, and also with the treatment of chronic pain. In my long experience dealing with these issues, I have found that the best educated patient receives the best pain relief. Fortunately the internet can be an excellent tool for research that was unavailable as recently as twenty years ago.

Start reading those sites I suggested, and begin developing a vocabulary of the spine and pain management. As your knowledge snowballs, you'll develop a greater facility in finding further information.

Best wishes.
yes, my pain is worse than before c5-c6 fusion surgery, and I have been diagnosed with Baroreflex failure. My blood pressure  is either too high or too low. I am on multiple medications for this, and now have to see a cardiologist every month.  I had my surgery August 5, 2014.  The pain in my shoulder and arm is as bad or worse than before the surgery.
I also have the freezing and sweating at the same time issue, and my blood pressure is out of control.  It gets really high and really low.  At one point it was so high that they were going to stop my heart and shock me to start it again.  Its called Baroreflex failure and is a permanent injury from the surgery that they say will be a problem for the rest of my life.  I am 40 years old, and not happy to have a lifelong problem now.  I cannot sleep, and go days in a row awake.  I am exhausted all of the time now, and in as much pain with a burning sensation and very deep, sharp pain from muscle spasms.  
Ugh...I had a fusion on C5 in late Aug 2014 and it is now middle of January 2015 and I don't feel great at the moment.  Last week I had 2 days where I actually felt normal, but the so far 4 following days have been complete hell.  I as well was in a car accident about 10 years ago and I to had a bulging disc pinching off my spinal cord.  So I guess it is the lesser of two evils.  I am meeting with a scope specialist next week and scheduled for an ultrasound and a 2nd MRI in about 4 months.  I also have not been able to return to work and am afraid that I won't be able to.  Reading the other posts scares the crap out of me:(
I had C4-C7 fused in three different surgeries. I experienced horrible neck and shoulder pain also. I had a nonfusion that was the cause of the pain. I had several mri's and xrays before someone finally noticed. Get a good doc that knows what tolook for
I had back in April 2014 my c5/c6 and c6/c7 fused do to fracture and bone spurs. I have had 6 months of physical therapy thereafter, and I hurt worse now than I did prior to the surgery. I have pain in my thumbs ;and the burning that runs down my neck, into my shoulder is horrendous. So since my hands wont work, my GP sent me to see a nerve doctor who said I have c6 nerve damage, and an impended nerve. He said it should heal in time. That was 6 months ago and it is getting worse. It has gotten to the point where my quality of life had diminished as the pain seems to get worse when I sit up, and when I grip things with my hands, either I am dropping things or the pain is so bad in my hands I am coming unglued. My GP went over my neurologist head and put me on Lyrica to give me some relief. I am only one week on a small dosage of 50 mg as she wants to move me up slowly since my system rejects most medications. It seems to help some, but not enough. I will know more as we increase the dosage, but the LYRICA is to tell the brain to ignore the nerve pain. I just want this fixed. I don't know what else to do.  I can no longer do my job as sitting at a desk is no longer an option.  I have thought about returning to school and change my occupation to limit sitting 8 a day and typing. Just typing this is bringing me to tears. What other options are out there? I read the above and it seems like others have gone through the same thing or have similar issues since the surgery.  i am regretting having said surgery now.  I feel worse off. Is there anything? Any other option that will not require surgery?
For headaches or migraines I have used Frova. It's very expensive but one pill and I'm pain free!
I am six weeks post op for c567 fusion.
I have also used to some success an essential oil called deep relief by Young Living. Hey if it gives some relief, it's worth it! It is necessary to re-apply often. But I really like the fact that I don't have take it internally and the relief is instant.  I am sorry to read some of these posts, it seems hopeless for some of you but in truth it never is. Keep fighting and looking for a better way. I will pray for you.
I have experienced vertigo. I am 6 weeks post op of c 567. Neurosurgeon says it's not related to surgery. I am seeing my primary tomorrow.
I too use essential oils and I have found some relief. Deep relief from Young Living and a mix of Aroma siez, Panaway and Lemongrass from YL, too. For headaches and migraines I use Frova, very effective.
I had a 3-level disectomy in May/2014 and at about 7 weeks from surgery I began to experience vertigo.  It eventually went away after a few weeks.  I am sure yours will also go away
I honestly can relate. Had C4-7 in Oct'14, two fusing somewhat after 3 months, waiting to see if 3- 4 months the bottom fusion will start to take. Pain had been a daily event. Neck feels like someone is choking me. Shoulder blade areas not as bad as before but on occasion they hurt.
Only relief has been tingling in arms. but still get the many other problems and my restless leg came back that was gone for 3-4 years. So hoping it will cease in time.
Popping in neck scares the dickens out of me, it's sometimes very loud and on one occasion painful. Even my PT person heard it in the room. It occasionally hurts otherwise. I'm not sure why ot what may be happening inside my neck. Have on't seent he Dr twice. Once when he said I need the neck done before having my back done  and the day of the surgery.. That is itself isn't good IMO. Other times I've seen the PA.  I originally  planned to have my lower back done then do the neck but the Dr said the neck was worse than the back so I chanced and had the neck done 1st.  With fusion in questionable a state, I'll wait until it is resolved before having my back done.
Having to do without the only extracurricular activity I enjoyed for the last 40+ years I believe is the worst part of this.
They are legally required to notify you of the 'possible problems' but I think it is a loophole for them. So tred slowly and be certain in your own mind this is what you want to do.  There is no guarantee on any part of it only that they will try to fix...sometthing. We are all totally different as to that is wrong even though the words used are the same, no two are 'exactelly' alike.
Best of all to you all, cause I know and dread what's instore frome here on.
May God Bless you all.
Wow, there is a lot of extended pain in this room. In December 2014 I woke up with debilitating nerve pain in my upper back radiating down through my right shoulder, arm and ending in my hand. Doctors here started with narcotics ending with Morphine to take the edge off. After all of the conventional methods of treatment, Dr. suggested I was going to need a fusion at c5-6 and c6-7. I sought out a second opinion and 6 weeks ago ended up at the NorthAmericanSpine in Dallas, TX. 3 weeks ago I had Accurascope laser surgery in Scottsdale, AZ after being told through a SECOND opinion that a fusion was not necessary nor was a laminectomy. These people game me my life back, pain free! I urge you all to do your research on pain related to the spinal column. There is wonderful technology out there with a lot of young and intelligent doctors on cutting edge treatments. For those that have to have treatments, read this article. As I said, cutting edge technology exists though maybe not in your neighborhood. I had to travel 1200 miles for my procedure and it was worth every second. Good luck all and check out the link I have posted for you. Bob

http://www.laserbacksurgery.com/asimpletech.html
Hello -
I have been experiencing pain and discomfort since my fusion surgery in Dec. I don't sleep at night, and when I do I have cold sweats and wake up within a few hours of falling asleep. Has anyone done a study on fusion surgery? Checking to see who experiences pain and other issues after surgery that used a cadaver bone vs those that used their own bone? I was told they can take a part of my hip bone and put in place of the cadaver bone but recovery would be longer so opted for cadaver. Could it be the bodies way of trying to reject the bone? We hear of organ transplants that people have trouble with the body rejecting, how is this any different? I would just like to sleep through the night, not hurt everyday all day, and get back to living my life.
I had a 56 fusion in November 2014 I had arm pain in both the right and the left. I am still receiving physical therapy the arm pain will not go away.The arm surgeon said the nerves were pinched so long that the muscles start to atrophy or die and he does not think my arms are going to get any better. My neck is always stiff and I get burning in my shoulders neck all the way down to my arms that I never had before the surgery. I'm  not sure how long it takes until they know that you've fused. I'm still out of work I see the doctors every six weeks and nothing has changed I am also a secretary in a school and everyone keeps wondering when I'm coming back. Nobody can physically see our pain therefore they can't understand why you're not back at work.   The spine doctor and arm doctor say I have a permanent partial disability and I would be at risk going back and sitting over a desk all day long, it would just cause more back and neck pain and possibly a another fusion. I am so afraid how I will financially afford to retire.
Viewing 201-236 comments: