Neurology Community
Neck and Shoulder pain after C5-6 fusion.

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Viewing 201-254 comments:
I saw that place advertised on tv. I wish there was one in Connecticut.
We have nothing helpful.
One osteopath, but he only takes cash. (great instant relief) DO.
Lucky you...I would go to them in a heartbeat, if they were closer.
I have a 4 level cervical anterior fusion in 2010. I am having pinching-like pain, and my left hand keeps dropping everything, even if its not heavy.
My hand shakes and is pins and needles, and I have pain across my throat, and also down the left side of my upper back, neck and shoulder, to the elbow and hand.
I guess I maybe need to just suck it up. Nobody cares, or insurance does not pay. Welcome to America~
Any chance there is an osteopath (hands on) in your area?
Ask around or ask the neurosurgeon if he can refer you to a( D.O.)
doctor of osteopath.
There is only one, that I am aware of, in Connecticut.
He is like a magician, and he has straightened out my pelvis, which was twisted, thus chronic S-1 pain, hip pain, and groin pain.
My neck has a (4) level fusion with (8) screws and a plate. He does "cranio" work on it, and has actually put me to sleep, right at the appointment.

Good luck to you~
Do you live in Maryland?  I had the same spiel from my doctor which literally frightened me into having surgery.  And I am worse now than before surgery.  It has crippled me.
I had surgery to correct C-5 to 6 and 6 to 7 with PEEK back in December 2013 and still have pain in the side of my neck, which feels like a muscle spasm. A few months ago I developed a jerking movement in my thumb and forefinger on the same side as the muscle spasm. As with you, my doctor said the ex-rays look good. I had an MRI with another doctor and am awaiting the results. I am interested to see what he has to say. I also had great hopes that surgery would fix the problem. I am now back on pain meds and muscle relaxers.
what is a myelogram
The first thing I would do is give the hubby an ultimatum, step up to the plate or get out!! If he doesn't want to go back to what he was doing, find something else. If he can't do that, it's time for you to realize, he doesn't care about you. He is lazy irresponsible and selfish. (sorry I call em like I see em.)
I'm seven weeks post op C5-6 discectomy with fusion.
I'm wondering if anyone who has had a similar procedure has suffered with symptoms of vertigo, before or after their operation.
Josie2122
I thought it important to share my story so that other don't only see the results. I had my cervical fusion at 4 levels, all of which were pinching the nerves from c-4 to t-1 on June 25, 2014. The discs were replaced and a plate was put in place. I never had to wear a neck brace.  Immediately following the surgery I had relief from the debilitating nerve pain that caused constant pain in my left shoulder and pain and numbness that effected my left arm. I was able to return to work within 4 weeks and only took Percocet and muscle relaxers for 4 days. I now have been going through physical therapy due to muscle spasms and weakness, however these issues are no where near as bad as the previous nerve pain. Everyday I get better and closer to being pain free. It was explained to me that prior to and following the surgery my muscles stopped functioning properly and would go into protection mode, hence the muscle spasms. With good physical therapy it is possible to return to normal activity, although care will need to be taken to not damage the discs above and below the fusion.
For anyone considering having the surgery you should extensively research the surgeon and go with the best who specializes in this type of surgery. No second rate surgeons or hospitals will do.

There are those of us who have had success and who would do it again if necessary!
I'm 35 and I had surgery on my c7 t1 on November 2009. Just last month I was having some of the old issues. Went to the doctor and got a scan. Found out my screw has fractured. since then my symptoms have been getting worse for example, my neck is constantly swelling up in the plate area. My neck is getting so sore some day's, that I get bad headaches from it. Not to mention my spasms and weakness in my right arm and hand again. My life is on hold again. Can't even get in to see the surgeon untill oct 27th and that's just to see him for the 1st time since this has started again. I hope he finally makes the discussion to take it out. After the sergery (surgery) I told him I felt something in my throat all the time. He said to me that is because you do have something there and that I just have to deal with it.
I am a triathlete- after years of use/abuse & training for-completing 5 IM's, previously diagnosed herniated & bulging dics developed in to bone spurs.
I had the surgery in May. Began walking right away & after a week or so, began sitting on my bike trainer-EZ.
Well, it seems that whenever I run or swim, I get this excruciating pain/'burning' in my left shoulder. I've taken days 'off' only for the pain to recur & sometimes 'spasms'/pain last a couple days.
Even doing some activities of daily living will aggravate it.  SOO frustrating.
Anyone else, experience anything like this?
Robin
I had a very serious RTA in 1997 which left me with multiple skull fractures, facial bones fracture, right eye hanging out with skull fragments stuck in it, broke my neck in 2 places, crushed my left shoulder. I feel very lucky to be alive and the original surgeons did fantastic work, frontal lobe elevation, 5 cromia plasties on left shoulder( might be spelt wrong), I have had I think 19 operations since then (2 for biopsy for cancer I never had).It has taken the surgeons 17 years to finally listen to me about the numbness and pain in my arms and legs and sharp sock like pain, eventually on September 24th 2014  the did an ACDF on my c5/c6 which I was discharged the day after, although my numbness, sharp pain in arms and legs is gone, I now have the most excruciating pain in the left side of my neck, left shoulder and back of left arm 24/7 and sometimes twitching of the deltoid, biceip and triceip muscles . I have never really taken pain killers as I believe the may solve one problem but give you 5 more and I normally have a very high pain barrier but am taking DF118 now which only numbs it a bit, meeting surgeons tomorrow at my forced request as I cannot take another 17 years of this pain as even worse now, any help advice would be great. one thing that has helped ease the pain in my shoulder which I now rub on my neck and new pain areas is Olbas oil, not a permanent fix but helps during day/night
Hi i had my 4th and 5th done almost 8 years ago and up untill last year did i start to experience pain in my shoulders and neck, with at times numbness and tingilin in my armsand chest.. My problem is sometimes but not all the time the pain is intense in my neck and shoulders i dont want to move. i have been prescribed mobic and gabapentin but as of yet i dont think its helping much. Does anyone have any susgestions that might help my problem,? and what do you think about taking a narcodic ?
Hi, I had surgery done on my 5th & 6th vertebrate. I was having excruciating pain .While I was at work I would have heating pad on my right arm and a heated beanbag on my neck. Some days it was so bad that I would cry even in my office. I tried chiropractic,physical therapy. Nothing helped at night I would sit in a tub of hot water. I would sometimes take 3 baths a night. I talked to my doctor about this - told her skip the middle pain and go for surgery. She recommended me to a surgeon that specializes in neck fusion.
I had the surgery. When the surgeon got into me he found a huge bone spur and bugling disc on my 5th and 6th vertebrate. He fused and placed a metal plate in me.When I woke from surgery no more pain! This was great until a week ago. Now the pain is coming back with all the former pain!
I went to the doctor and he put me on med that seem to help as long as I stay on top of them. A side effect though it makes me loopy.I don't want to do surgery again for the cost and it may not work again. The relief from the pain lasted from March to Oct. My family does not seem to understand that I would be in pain again. Has anyone else had this happen to you?
I'm in the same boat! Shakiness, muscle fasciculations, exhaustion. Now really high blood pressure and irregular EKG's, but Dr. says none related. I have zero life now and used to enjoy hiking, yoga etc. I am way worse than before the surgery and don't have any help or answers. Today and lately, I've just been wishing for the end.
Hi Gary,
My name is Leslie, and I just had a cervical spine fusion, C-5.C-6 3 weeks ago. My neck is much better, and the only problem I have is not being able to sleep as I desire. Sometimes I feel as if my breath will be my last. I had such horrible pain in my left should generating on into my arms and my hand. A recent MRI showed that my rotator cuff has a large tare and my surgery is scheduled for Nov. 7th. I don't have much to say,except I do know the power of prayer, and I am going to pray for your wife and you. Trust God when it seems nothing else will work, and I promise he will change things!!
Hi I had c5/c6 removed September since then my neck pain is worse it radiates into my shoulders and makes my arms ache I'm at my Whits end .Spend half my time in tears as feel so low due to not sleeping.
Hi, I had a cervical spine surgery because the also told me I had degenerating spine. They replaced two disc and put a plate and screws. I hurt worse today and its been 9 months since my surgery. My shoulders and neck never stop hurting and it is so hard for my to sleep or sit. I still have so many problems and I'm scared to have any other surgery. My lower back hurts like I don't know what, and they say I have bone spurs in my hip and lower back. Know they have told me I have lupus. I just want some relief.
Sounds like you had the exact surgery I did.  Mine was in April and now it is December.   I started having pain in November sometime described as what you have.   I have an appointment in December to see what is causing numbness 7 months after the surgery.  I was doing incredible but now I wake up and my hands are both like they've been asleep.   One pill and 45 minutes and then I'm good for the rest of the day.   "Fortunately" I have a followup appointment next month and can't wait to see if there were any changes.

I agree I would not wish this on my number one enemy.  If you can go with having the surgery I highly suggest I can not stand to cough because it hurt my shoulder so bad.  This is a no joke surgery.
I am so glad I found this forum as I am much worse now than before my most recent surgery.  My story... I had a disc herniation 6 years ago at C6/C7 and the resulting ACDF using my own bone was very successful. The pain and numbness I had in my left arm was almost immediately relieved. Awesome!

About 2.5 years ago I started having walking balance type issues. Just a lack of confidence in my gait. About 6 months later, I started getting extremely cold burning spots (softball size) in the same spot on my right arm/elbow forearm and right calf. The doctor sent me to a neurologist who did physical therapy and ultimately an MRI (brain and spine with dye) which revealed another herniation with pressure on the spine at C5/C6. In the mean time, a warm spot developed on my left calf and numb/warm spot on my left back shoulder. The diagnosis was cervical spondylitis with myelopathy.

I had surgery approx. 3 1/2months ago with an artificial disc at C5/C6 (successful according to surgeon and xrays) but my symptoms are sometimes even worse now. Furthermore, I now have some left leg and left arm/hand pain with some occasional twitching and clumsiness.

I expected the surgery to be the answer but I have so much anxiety now. I wondered if the cervical issue was not the real problem. Perhaps I had ALS or MS. I recently visited the neurologist and she did another MRI revealing that the new disc was not pressing on the spine, some basic neuro tests again, reflex (no real reflex in arms, slight hyper in right knee #3 on right knee and #2 on left knee, Babinski (normal), standing and walking tests, strength tests, and ultimately stated that I did not have MS or ALS as I worried about. She is fairly positive its related to my cervical issues and recent surgery. She states that I just went through a major surgery and I need to give my body and spine time to heal.

I sure hope she is right as I cant really do much at this time due to the pain and anxiety.  Ugh!
So happy to have found I am not the only one still in pain after surgery my surgeon had me thinking i was crazy. I had Surgery Jan 2014 I will be 1 year post op next week. I had surgery on c5-6 they said I had spinal stenosis and arthritis forming on the left side of my neck. After PT for 3 months i had 2 steroid injections and they did not help if anything I felt worse after. Finally they said I had to have surgery. I thought I was going to feel even 50 % better than I did but NO.... I now have numbness in my face, Severe pain in the middle of my back , Pain in my Right shoulder and tingling and weakness in my right arm.. Head aches are bad and can't sleep... I just want the pain to end Im a 30 year old mother of 3 and can't imagine having to deal with this pain for the rest of my life... Im afraid to hear what they are going to say next week. I dont know if i should get a second opinion..
It is difficult to differentiate what symptoms are part of your recovery, and what symptoms are due to the failure of the second procedure.

Don't fear information -- see what your docs have to say next week. Ask questions.

Perhaps the time for a second opinion was before the surgery, however, if your doctors suggest even more surgery, or tell you that they can't help, then seek a spine specialist, preferably one who is not a surgeon.

In the mean time, research spinal stenosis, foramenal stenosis, and failed back syndrome, and their treatment options. You can find this information on these conditions on spine sites like spineuniverse.com or spine-health.com, as well as many other sources.

Your research will no doubt bring up many questions -- write them down for your visit next week and seek answers.

You should know that this journey of pain relief is not over yet. You're in a situation that is common with survivors of back and neck surgery. For many resolving the pain of spine disease after surgery requires a great deal of determination and perseverance in seeking answers and options.

There are still treatment options that will reduce your pain and allow you to live a normal life. However, you cannot rely on your doctor to find those solutions. Taking responsibility for your own health involves self education about your condition and possible treatment options and outcomes. You need to familiarize yourself with the various types of spine practitioners, and also with the treatment of chronic pain. In my long experience dealing with these issues, I have found that the best educated patient receives the best pain relief. Fortunately the internet can be an excellent tool for research that was unavailable as recently as twenty years ago.

Start reading those sites I suggested, and begin developing a vocabulary of the spine and pain management. As your knowledge snowballs, you'll develop a greater facility in finding further information.

Best wishes.
yes, my pain is worse than before c5-c6 fusion surgery, and I have been diagnosed with Baroreflex failure. My blood pressure  is either too high or too low. I am on multiple medications for this, and now have to see a cardiologist every month.  I had my surgery August 5, 2014.  The pain in my shoulder and arm is as bad or worse than before the surgery.
I also have the freezing and sweating at the same time issue, and my blood pressure is out of control.  It gets really high and really low.  At one point it was so high that they were going to stop my heart and shock me to start it again.  Its called Baroreflex failure and is a permanent injury from the surgery that they say will be a problem for the rest of my life.  I am 40 years old, and not happy to have a lifelong problem now.  I cannot sleep, and go days in a row awake.  I am exhausted all of the time now, and in as much pain with a burning sensation and very deep, sharp pain from muscle spasms.  
Ugh...I had a fusion on C5 in late Aug 2014 and it is now middle of January 2015 and I don't feel great at the moment.  Last week I had 2 days where I actually felt normal, but the so far 4 following days have been complete hell.  I as well was in a car accident about 10 years ago and I to had a bulging disc pinching off my spinal cord.  So I guess it is the lesser of two evils.  I am meeting with a scope specialist next week and scheduled for an ultrasound and a 2nd MRI in about 4 months.  I also have not been able to return to work and am afraid that I won't be able to.  Reading the other posts scares the crap out of me:(
I had C4-C7 fused in three different surgeries. I experienced horrible neck and shoulder pain also. I had a nonfusion that was the cause of the pain. I had several mri's and xrays before someone finally noticed. Get a good doc that knows what tolook for
I had back in April 2014 my c5/c6 and c6/c7 fused do to fracture and bone spurs. I have had 6 months of physical therapy thereafter, and I hurt worse now than I did prior to the surgery. I have pain in my thumbs ;and the burning that runs down my neck, into my shoulder is horrendous. So since my hands wont work, my GP sent me to see a nerve doctor who said I have c6 nerve damage, and an impended nerve. He said it should heal in time. That was 6 months ago and it is getting worse. It has gotten to the point where my quality of life had diminished as the pain seems to get worse when I sit up, and when I grip things with my hands, either I am dropping things or the pain is so bad in my hands I am coming unglued. My GP went over my neurologist head and put me on Lyrica to give me some relief. I am only one week on a small dosage of 50 mg as she wants to move me up slowly since my system rejects most medications. It seems to help some, but not enough. I will know more as we increase the dosage, but the LYRICA is to tell the brain to ignore the nerve pain. I just want this fixed. I don't know what else to do.  I can no longer do my job as sitting at a desk is no longer an option.  I have thought about returning to school and change my occupation to limit sitting 8 a day and typing. Just typing this is bringing me to tears. What other options are out there? I read the above and it seems like others have gone through the same thing or have similar issues since the surgery.  i am regretting having said surgery now.  I feel worse off. Is there anything? Any other option that will not require surgery?
For headaches or migraines I have used Frova. It's very expensive but one pill and I'm pain free!
I am six weeks post op for c567 fusion.
I have also used to some success an essential oil called deep relief by Young Living. Hey if it gives some relief, it's worth it! It is necessary to re-apply often. But I really like the fact that I don't have take it internally and the relief is instant.  I am sorry to read some of these posts, it seems hopeless for some of you but in truth it never is. Keep fighting and looking for a better way. I will pray for you.
I have experienced vertigo. I am 6 weeks post op of c 567. Neurosurgeon says it's not related to surgery. I am seeing my primary tomorrow.
I too use essential oils and I have found some relief. Deep relief from Young Living and a mix of Aroma siez, Panaway and Lemongrass from YL, too. For headaches and migraines I use Frova, very effective.
I had a 3-level disectomy in May/2014 and at about 7 weeks from surgery I began to experience vertigo.  It eventually went away after a few weeks.  I am sure yours will also go away
I honestly can relate. Had C4-7 in Oct'14, two fusing somewhat after 3 months, waiting to see if 3- 4 months the bottom fusion will start to take. Pain had been a daily event. Neck feels like someone is choking me. Shoulder blade areas not as bad as before but on occasion they hurt.
Only relief has been tingling in arms. but still get the many other problems and my restless leg came back that was gone for 3-4 years. So hoping it will cease in time.
Popping in neck scares the dickens out of me, it's sometimes very loud and on one occasion painful. Even my PT person heard it in the room. It occasionally hurts otherwise. I'm not sure why ot what may be happening inside my neck. Have on't seent he Dr twice. Once when he said I need the neck done before having my back done  and the day of the surgery.. That is itself isn't good IMO. Other times I've seen the PA.  I originally  planned to have my lower back done then do the neck but the Dr said the neck was worse than the back so I chanced and had the neck done 1st.  With fusion in questionable a state, I'll wait until it is resolved before having my back done.
Having to do without the only extracurricular activity I enjoyed for the last 40+ years I believe is the worst part of this.
They are legally required to notify you of the 'possible problems' but I think it is a loophole for them. So tred slowly and be certain in your own mind this is what you want to do.  There is no guarantee on any part of it only that they will try to fix...sometthing. We are all totally different as to that is wrong even though the words used are the same, no two are 'exactelly' alike.
Best of all to you all, cause I know and dread what's instore frome here on.
May God Bless you all.
Wow, there is a lot of extended pain in this room. In December 2014 I woke up with debilitating nerve pain in my upper back radiating down through my right shoulder, arm and ending in my hand. Doctors here started with narcotics ending with Morphine to take the edge off. After all of the conventional methods of treatment, Dr. suggested I was going to need a fusion at c5-6 and c6-7. I sought out a second opinion and 6 weeks ago ended up at the NorthAmericanSpine in Dallas, TX. 3 weeks ago I had Accurascope laser surgery in Scottsdale, AZ after being told through a SECOND opinion that a fusion was not necessary nor was a laminectomy. These people game me my life back, pain free! I urge you all to do your research on pain related to the spinal column. There is wonderful technology out there with a lot of young and intelligent doctors on cutting edge treatments. For those that have to have treatments, read this article. As I said, cutting edge technology exists though maybe not in your neighborhood. I had to travel 1200 miles for my procedure and it was worth every second. Good luck all and check out the link I have posted for you. Bob

http://www.laserbacksurgery.com/asimpletech.html
Hello -
I have been experiencing pain and discomfort since my fusion surgery in Dec. I don't sleep at night, and when I do I have cold sweats and wake up within a few hours of falling asleep. Has anyone done a study on fusion surgery? Checking to see who experiences pain and other issues after surgery that used a cadaver bone vs those that used their own bone? I was told they can take a part of my hip bone and put in place of the cadaver bone but recovery would be longer so opted for cadaver. Could it be the bodies way of trying to reject the bone? We hear of organ transplants that people have trouble with the body rejecting, how is this any different? I would just like to sleep through the night, not hurt everyday all day, and get back to living my life.
I had a 56 fusion in November 2014 I had arm pain in both the right and the left. I am still receiving physical therapy the arm pain will not go away.The arm surgeon said the nerves were pinched so long that the muscles start to atrophy or die and he does not think my arms are going to get any better. My neck is always stiff and I get burning in my shoulders neck all the way down to my arms that I never had before the surgery. I'm  not sure how long it takes until they know that you've fused. I'm still out of work I see the doctors every six weeks and nothing has changed I am also a secretary in a school and everyone keeps wondering when I'm coming back. Nobody can physically see our pain therefore they can't understand why you're not back at work.   The spine doctor and arm doctor say I have a permanent partial disability and I would be at risk going back and sitting over a desk all day long, it would just cause more back and neck pain and possibly a another fusion. I am so afraid how I will financially afford to retire.
I found these comments by chance today. I'm in the UK and had a car accident in 2008. After 3 years of pain, physio and chiropractic treatment I finally asked for an MRI which showed I had slipped discs c5 to c7. I had a nerve block at c5/6, which is where I was told was the worse damage.  It gave me relief for 2 weeks then the pain came back.  Having read these posts I know I don't need to describe the pain etc as you are all experiencing the same. I took the surgeons advise and had a discectomy with fusion December 2011. After initial recovery I had relief for about 3 months before the symptoms came back, and gradually they have gotten much worse. Feels like ice running through by left arms whilst burning at the same time. Numbness in my hand and wrist, pain in my neck and shoulder and terrible itching on my back.  I am taking 1200mg of Gabapentin a day which affects my concentration and makes me feel light headed and dizzy.  It is affecting my work and I have had to reduce my working week to be able to cope. I am now getting terrible headaches right at the top of my spine and I can't get comfortable at night. I am seeing another surgeon next week as I want another MRI to see if things have gotten worse.  I think I am going to have to make some big decisions about how to manage my situation going forward and although it does not help anyone it is good to finally find a site that shows I am not alone.
OMG, I am going through the same cronic (chronic) pain you described. I fell at work @ 2 years ago, had c5,c6,c7, fusion. I feel like im backed into a corner also.I understand exactly what you are going through and am serching for answers :( Terry
You should always get a second opinion.  Always.
I was diagnosed with Stenosis with Myelopathy over 2 years ago.  I was starting to lose function in my limbs and also had numbness tingling in all my legs and arms.   A few years earlier I had suffered a traumatic injury while doing utility line work during a wind storm.  I was hit in my bucket truck by a falling tree, and had broken my shoulder, lower back and cervical spine.  
  I got the rotator cuff fixed and it was sort of okay after that, but my degeneration in my spine was giving me a lot of problems.  The Surgeons told me that my spinal cord was starting to bleed and one trip and that would be the end of me.  <<---   He seriously told me that.    I went out and got 5 second opinions by many Spinal Surgeons.  I was about to give up when I went and had a consultation with the 5th surgeon, and I hired him.  
  My first surgery was a spinal fusion from C-3 to C-6, and it was a titanium implant of some sort.  Wish I remembered what it was called.  I know, when I saw it on X-ray I was in complete and utter HORROR at my neck.  However, I felt GREAT afterwards.  I mean really great.   The shooting pains , all over my body were immensely reduced.
  SO,  I then had my lower Lumbar done, 6 months later.  Since I had my deductible met on my insurance, wanted to get it done in the same year, so it would virtually cost me ZERO.   I think that was a disectomy(sp)?.   I had a lot more problems bouncing back from this second surgery than I did the first one.........it was SLOW going for some reason.  
   Now it has been two years since I had my two spine surgery, and 5 years since I had my shoulder fixed.  And, the last few weeks I realized I feel like utter crap.   I believe that my spine was in such terrible jeopardy that I started to lose a lot of feeling in my body.  I have never had or needed to take any pain medication after surgery, or at any other time. But, now my neck is hurting.  I touch my jaw, or my neck at C3 and it is excruciating.  It feels inflamed, and very painful to the touch.   I am getting severe headaches, throbbing in my neck, pain in my neck so severe I can't sleep or get comfortable. I went over to get a cervical pillow today to see if its my pillow.  Also my legs hurt.  I feel like every single bone in my body hurts.  I even have an ear ache, and the bones in my face hurt.  
  I am actually getting pretty worried. Because what happens if this titanium in my neck fails?  
I ended up retiring from my job with 30+ years and they gave me my pension.  They also gave me a 100% disability within 30 days of applying for it at the Social Security Administration.  I think that scared me even more.........because maybe I am actually DYING.  I always hear it took YEARS to get it and I got it in 30 days?  
  At this point, I think I am more afraid to go see a Dr than to just give up and live my life the best that I can while I have the chance to.  I think eventually I will be immobilized and confined to a wheelchair.  I hope not, but I suspect that is where my future is going.  

This sounds like my story. But I  can hardly lift my right  arm. I feel very worried and scared that it won't  go away. I can't hardly type. I have been denied disability  twice. No income. Could use some better days.  I am hoping you are better.
I am considering disability after 7 surgeries (3 cervical spine, both hands, right shoulder twice, permanent nerve damage), but can't afford to be without money for 6 months.  How will you get by? Any advice or ideas how to  survive?   Good luck and best wishes to you.
June 2015. In 2012 I had a cervical fusion of C5,c6,c7 discectomy. I have nerve pain in my neck and numbness in my arms and hands and pain. I have headaches and vocal cord damage . The nerves in my neck really fire off when I lay down so I sleep 3 hours a night. I do my PT everyday to strength  my neck muscles. I've been on so many different  medications none help because it the nerve damage from the surgery and they take part of your neck muscles and that tightens up. These nerves are dead and have no where to go. No more steroid shots doesn't work only gives up unwanted weight. The headaches and all this pain really is not a good quality of life. I've been to pain management and other doctors but no help.
I am fused from the Occipit to the T-2.  There is a plate screwed into the back of my head at the base of my skull just above the C-spine and from there down to the T-2 it looks like a ladder of screws, rods, hardware etc.  I can not move my head in any direction.  Well 3 weeks ago today I was rear ended and the impact was pretty intense, in other words he HIT ME REAL HARD, anyway, I am now suffering from severe Whiplash and I am concerned that the hardware may be compromised, what do u think?  Please tell me ur thoughts.........it would be most appreciated.  I have tons of pain, stiffness, spasms, inflammation, etc all the symptoms of whiplash but ten fold as my spine was already in a weakened state, my main concern is the condition of the hardware.  I think if something were wrong I would definitely know it, again ur thoughts, please!!   <3
old test, i wouldn't get it. MRI is used more. sorry for your pain. Im still in pain after 3 fusions, now c2-7 after kaiser messed up and left bone spurs on my shoulders which still hurt after another dr removed them, and now neck hurts looking up and down. what do you all think of dry needling? seemed to help first time, but not now.

Also, I can't walk right. I was a fast walker before all this. Saw myelopathy on my chart. So mad at these drs that have ruined me. Started with another malpractice.

Pray everyone gets better. DOn't know what to do. Can't go on lliving like this, how can we work and have productive life in pain/ Yet, can't be alone all day either. Great outcome. Thanks drs for ruining our lives, not all of them, but at least 2 for me. and 1 pt who manipulated my neck and was told in writing not to.

Don't know what to do, and the poverty of disabillity and not being able to work is terrible. Terrible neck and shoulder pain, does anyone , esp women have terrible pain, when have to wear straps on shoulders? Everything is heavy now.

God help us. Take care, S
Wow I just found this site and boy is it all too familiar. I am 10 yrs post op for c4 -c6 fusion due to believe it or not a slip and fall. My spinal cord was impinged to the point that if I coughed my arms and legs would go numb. Saw one of the best surgeons and the spinal issues were immediately better, BUT now I have developed some symptoms that I see posted on here. I have three days since surgery that I did not have a headache to some degree. Now i am also noticing the vertigo, shoulder pain, neck pain return and more. Had an MRI a week ago and I guess the one up and one down are shot. To what degree I do not yet know. I really do not want to have more fused but I see no other option. Glad to find this site!
I am two years post-op C5-C6/C6-C7 fusions, and nearly three years since the car accident (yes, it took my GP seven months to okay the MRI - and that wasn't until after the PT refused to work on me without one.  I am still having daily headaches and pain in my neck and between my shoulder blades.  My surgeon basically told me to go away when my insurance benefit was used up.  I don't know what kind of implant he used.  Has anyone else had pain this long post-op?
My name is Ann, I had similar surgery end of November 2011.  immediately after the surgery,  my right hand started swelling. The surgeon had no time  to listen to my pains, he wanted me to take couple of epidural shots!!!f.  I am experiencing the same issues like you but my right arm has the problem.  The hand freezes even when I am moving my fingers.  In the night its a different issue.
After seeing many doctors, I went to Mayo clinic.  Doctors at Mayo took an easy route they say its Fibromyalgia. Again none of them are seeing my notes where I complain about arm going to sleep even when I am driving, my right arm and right leg go to sleep when I drive and its very scary.
Did the doctors give you an idea on why this happening?  I feel completely lost and not sure how to proceed
yes, I had the surgery before thanksgiving of 2011, got relief only from headaches, but all the pain stayed and also few were added.  The hands especially right arm is swollen all the time, numbness, pain from the should blades to the fingers.  The horror part is the hand freezing/numbing from the fingers to shoulders, even when I am using the fingers.  Driving is scary as I have the numbness even in the right leg....and I have seen three surgeons.
First surgeon who did the surgery wanted to do more epidural shots.  Second one wanted to implant a stimulator in my cervical....third one wanted to do one more fusion on the upper level (I had c5-6) before.  As I was tired dealing with them, I thought I can go to Mayo clinic.  IT took me 6 months to get an appointment.  The doctor who same me(pain rebab) before I can see the neurosurgeon(policy of the hospital) decided it was Fibromyalgia....I read through various documents regarding FM, except for the pain they talk about and the fatigue, my symptoms are different.  The patients of FM do not deal with numbness and freezing of arms, and inflammation

After the prognosis of FM, the team of doctors who run the pain rehab clinic in Mayo started pushing me to attend a three week rehab program.  Which is costing roughly 36K and they do not accept the insurance have.   My insurance will pay only 150 dollars per day for the program, Mayo clinic Pain rehab team was kind enough to say, that I can pay the remaining as out of pocket. and the best part was they were not ready to tell me the exact out of pocket amount.  They kept pushing me to join the program saying many people who did the rehab were living a pain free life and also went back to work 30 hours a week with no pain.

So conclusion is the pain rebah team is actively procuring people for their profit rehab program so the doctors were too fast to conclude this is FM.  NOT paying attention or caring for my complaints of numbing,  stiffness and swelling.

I am scared one day soon I am going to loose the function of the fingers in my right arm.  I feel them stiff and numbed all the time even while moving them.

I am glad I came across this group as the doctors were making me feel as though I am imaging the pain and I think that is the reason they pushed me into the waste basket of FM(which they say brain makes the pain more after suffering chronic pain after a trauma)

All these things happened after I met with an accident in 2010.  After more than 5 years of accident I am not sure if accident was the trauma or dealing with the doctors and surgeons who do not want to pay attention to our symptoms is a trauma.

Thank you all for sharing the details in the forum.
I had Status post open reduction internal fixation, cervical spine, with degenerative disc disease in 2001. I had a fracture dislocation due to a parachuting accident while in the Army.

I am now 12 years removed from service. Pain and stiffness is everyday. Lack of sleep has become the norm. I now have pain radiating down the left side of my neck and in between my shoulder blades. Is this common?

I have seen my VA doctor. An x-ray and muscle relaxers was her fix for my problems. Not working. Soon another VA exam, where my head is wrenched around painfully, and told I am fine. I know my body and it's anything but fine.
I have the same pain. It's soooooo frustrating. The lack of sleep makes me so impatient and of course soooo tired and unable to handle the pain. I had a cortisone injection done and now feel like a bolt is going through my upper spine in between my shoulder blades!!!
Ann,
Until I found this site...I thought I was the only one still feeling pain a year after surgery. My surgeon pretty much dismissed me. I have been to every specialist out there, I finally found a pain specialist...still in pain though. My neck, shoulder, scapula, bicep and forearm all spasm to a point where you can SEE it. After it subsides, I feel like I have been beaten! It's just awful. I have numbness in my thumb and index finger, Driving is especially hard If you want to converse....reach me at: ***@**** -- put spine chat in subject so I don't delete it...LOL
Yes I did, I had my surgery on the 21st of March 2015 and my first encounter with Vertigo was on the 24th of April 2015. Nobody seems to link both at all. I also still suffer after my operation from pain and numbness on the left shoulder and arm. I had a Fusion at C5-6
Viewing 201-254 comments: