Neurology Community
Nerve Damage After Having Blood Drawn.

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Nerve Damage After Having Blood Drawn.

I went to the Doctors about 3wks ago for blood test. When the girl stuck the needle in my arm I tried moving my fingers.  I could not move them and they had curled up in a rigamortis state. I asked if this was normaal and she said Yes.  I never had anyhing likethis happen  while getting blood drawn.  that day and about a wk later if i put my arm down on the table my fingers again would curl up.  To date my 4th finger and my little finger will not fully extend unless i concentrate to make it straigten all the way.  I had test done by a neurosurgen and he told me that overall the nerves look fine but I asked him why won't my two fingers straigten like normal.  He then told me that I may have some fractured nerves but they can't test nerve by nerve so there's nothing can be done.

1. have you ever heard tof a situation like this?
2. What is a fractured nerve?
3. Can a fractured nerve be healed.

Thank you
Hopefully you are feeling better by now, but just in case you never found an answer, or someone else finds this question please check out this link..

http://www.netwellness.org/question.cfm/39373.htm

Yes, it is possible to have nerve damage when blood is drawn from inside your elbow. It is quite unlikely, but it does occur.
I had blood taken 5days ago at my docs surgery by an hca/phlebotomist, as soon as she entered the needle shooting electric shock pains soured down my arm into my thumb & into my fingertips. My legs shot up off the floor toes pointing straight up to the ceiling the pain was absolutely horrendous!!
The nurse said "did that hurt", er yes, i replied & it still does, as she continued, whilst saying  "oh it does " sometimes. Well i have had hundreds of blood test over the years & they have never hurt like that.
I was in pain & shock & all she said was sometimes the suction on the vacutainer does that. I've been nursing for 24yrs & have never known anyone complain of that before.
Today i have been experiencing milder but simular pain whilst try to do things with that arm especially whilst pulling & gripping.
Could she have damaged a nerve from my inner elbow?
When the nurse took blood from me on my left wrist ,  she had to try 4 times before she got it,.  I have had a lot of blood work done on me, but  that was the worse.    And since I had that done my thumb does not work good at all  anymore, and it is swollen and very painful from my wrist  to the end of my thumb.  
did your pain ever go away?
I had this happen last week and the pain is still there. Same exact thing, except mine is from my armpit to my thumb. I am worried that it will be permanent. Your experience is very helpful!
I too experienced severe pain from a blood draw it will be 2 years ago this july. I have had physical therapy and a ultra sound and a emg but they all say could not be from blood draw. Well I know it was cause as soon as the girl jabbed me with needle I felt electric shock right down to my wrist and fingers and she too said OH did that hurt. she did not remove it either. I have never had so much pain. I do not have very good use of my left hand and tht is my primary hand. I even had neck surgery and shoulder surgery since then and still did not help my arm or hand. I do not want to go thru all the hassel of suing them because I cant emotionally go through all that. The young girl who did it was on the phone having an argument with I believe boyfriend and had an attitude when she called me in . I should have know better.
But I do believe someone needs to take responsibility for the anguish and suffering I am going through. I will be seeing a hand surgeon soon but he was one of the ones who said he did not think the venipuncture did damage so I should see a pain management dr.  ugh! I dont know what to do.
Has anyone sued over this?
I went for a blood test, the nurse said she didn't get enough. SSo, they kep sticking me in both arms and hands. They hit the nerve two times on the left, and just once on the right.  The pain was a shock to me...I never experienced this before. The best way I came describe it is like a huge jolt of pain from my forarm to fingertips. It was horrible and the nurses just kept on trying more...and more. I do know what to do now?? ALSO, my endo wants me to try again next week.
It may well be permanent.  Similar experience here (1-1/2 yrs ago).  Get to independent neurologist and consider seeing a med. malp. attorney within statue of limitations
     I had blood drawn 1 week ago. I didn't feel the needle go in but oh boy did it hurt coming out. It felt like she pulled out a tendon because my arm bent back up. After I left I walked to the parking lot then walked right back in and asked if it is normal for it to be getting so hard and swolen. Of course she said yes that I must have thin veins and the suction on the needle is very strong. It has been a week the bruise on my arm is horrible and I cannot straighten out my arm or pick up anything heavy without pain.