Neurology Community
Neurontin vs Lyrica

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Neurontin vs Lyrica

To those of you who have taken both medications -  which is better?  
I am considering switching from neurontin to lyrica but am not sure if it's worth it.
Can I switch without any problem?  
Neurontin works for me with 2 tramodols with it started taking 3oo mlg of neurontin now 1200mlg with 2 tramodols work for me
I started with Neurontin and then switched to Lyrica as it was the "new " thing. It was supposed to be better but I saw no difference.  Soon I had real problems with blurry vision so I was switched back.  The switching itself had no problems.  

Taking Tramadol at same time is good.  I ended up with 2800 mg Neurontin and 2 Tramadol a day.  I have now reduced it to 300 mg and 1 Tramadol as my overall condition improved.
DON'T DO IT.  I am a Lyrica survivor.  There are others on the Lyrica Survivors page on Facebook.  I'll send you a message with a link to check out as well.
For me, I switched around a different way.  I started with Lyrica, I liked it very much, killed my lumbar spine pain overnight.  But it was expensive, so I had to go to Neurontin for a while.  That medicine upset my stomach something awful, plus I felt strange in general, altho it did stop the pain same way.  But when I could finally get Medicare, it covered my Lyrica with a co-pay, so I immediately switched back to Lyrica.  All together, I've been on it for maybe two years, and for me it's a kind of wonder drug.  

What the others say about Lyrica blurring eyes is true, and it also causes a person to lose their balance, plus other known side effects that I do not have.  But the medicine also makes me feel better in general than its cousin Neurontin.  The thing about both drugs is they must be increased about three-fold in the first few months, until you reach a plateau of comfort, which most docs know this becuz it's in the literature that comes with the drug.  Then just an increase of dose is needed once every few years to maintain effectiveness, much like many other meds.

I do think it is wise to visit the website about the perils of Lyrica as mentioned by a previous poster, because not all drugs are good for all people.
Thank you all for your responses.  I'm not sure what to do now.
I already have most, if not all, of the symptoms/side effects mentioned above either from my
condition or the medicine I already take.
I have CIDP and it has been getting worse gradually for 10 years now.   My neurologist won't prescribe any other pain medication until I'm 'terminal'.  Great...just when It doesn't matter.
Being consumed by pain and virtually immobile I don't have any other good options.
I'll let you all know what I decide.
Thanks again!

Just a quick note to those who replied previously or are interested in how I made out.
I was prescribed 300mg of lyrica per day (was on 1600mg neurontin).  I have been getting along just fine on 75-150mg lyrica with no noticeable side effects so far.  All things considered I am doing better and feeling better then I was before but not miraculously so.
My copay for lyrica is 5X more then neuronton so that hurts a bit more. :-)
Thanks again to all!
Hi I was on Lyrica because again it was the "new thing" for Chronic Regional Pain/RSD, and "suspected seizures.
I had so much trouble with Lyrica. i started on 75mg of Lyrica and was drunk, dizzy couldnt see straight {blurriness came at 300mg}. I felt sick agitated and hallucinated and vomited on it. Till my neurologist put me on to Neurontin. I was so scared about trying it. I have had that many adverse reactions to so many medications, I didnt want anymore. Reluctantly I took Neurontin and told myself If i wake up 2hours later {i took it at night} and felt the same as i did on Lyric I wouldnt Take it. Thankfully i didnt have any bad reactions. I woke in the morning with a headach and a little depressed. BUT i kept increasing the dose and i am now on 600mg daily and increasing. I am so happy with it. My brain electrical activity has "queitend down". So has the "absence seizures."
I am so happy that for those are taking the Lyrica works for them. I am one it doesnt agree with. Neurontin and OxyNorm for me is making minimal impact on my pain but id rather Neurontin the Lyrica.