Neurology Community
Neuropathy and herniated discs

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Neuropathy and herniated discs

I have had ideopathic peripheral neuropathy in my feet for two years now.  No one has found a cause.  My neurologist finaly sent me to a pain management clinic and I mentioned to that doctor my shoulder pain.  He found a slight herniated disc in me neck and now I just had an MRI on my lower back, although the tech wasnt supposed to say anything he gave me a heads up that you can see something on the films.  I would like to know what my options are.  Could a herniated disc in my lower back cause the neuropathy in my feet, and if it can, what can they do about it.  I have had an epidural in my neck for that disc and now im very scared and feel very alone.  How could I have these herniated discs all along my spine and not know it? I am so confused.  Any help, words of comfort, or encouragement, or information, even a good site to visit would be greatly appreciated.  Thank You.

How are you?
The spine is cushioned by small spongy discs. These discs act as shock absorbers for the spine and keep the spine flexible. But when a disc is damaged it may bulge through and it is called as a herniated disc.
There are many causes of herniated discs like normal wear and tear, bad posture, or injury. The disc then presses upon the nerve root and causes tingling, numbness and weakness in the affected area.
The treatment generally includes rest, exercises under supervision of a physical therapist, ice or cold pack. Medications will only help reduce the pain and swelling and will not cure the herniation.
http://www.webmd.com/back-pain/tc/herniated-disc-topic-overview
Hope this helps!

Hi Trissie,
I would be interested in what the MRI actually says. When did you have it done? Have you gotten a copy of the report or the film (these can be obtained usually for free on cd rom)?
I have been diagnosed with Polyradiculopathy (which means several nerve roots are affected). My doctor did a Diabetes test to rule that out as the cause. The only other thing I have that would account for it, is Spina Bifida Occulta/Transitional Vertebra. According to most doctors, this is not suppose to cause problems, but if you ask those affected with it, they will tell you differently. I wasn't even infomed I had this until after 12+ yrs of back pain, muscle spasms, leg pain/weakness/numbess, etc. And I am continually being told there is nothing they can do for me, it is just something I am going to have to live with. I am now in a wheelchair when I go out shopping or anywhere.

I feel for your pain and Pray you get some answers and some relief from the pain. Just don't ever give up and be very Proactive when it comes to getting answers.
Please keep us posted on the results of that MRI.
God Bless
thank you for your replies.  I have all my films and the results of one MRI.  I have a slight herniation in c4, c5.  i am doing phyisical therapy for it and epidurals.  I have the films for my lumbar MRI but not the oficial results yet but you can see the disc pushing out.  Again Thanks for your responses.