Neurology Community
Numb feeling in outer foot and toes

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Numb feeling in outer foot and toes

I have been under chiropractic care 2-3 x per week for years. I was hit by a car (pedestrian) in my teens and have had back pain off and on, and my lower back particularly, is my weak area now that I'm older. About 3 months ago I suddenly had numbness in the outer sides and bottoms of my feet, particularly the left, that hasn't gone away. I had returned from a plane flight and short trip (2 nights) where my ankles had swelled and continued to be so swollen after returning that I needed to take a water pill, and it took 3 days for the swelling to completely subside. This is around the time the numb feeling started. My chiropractor said my hip was out, and he adjusted and has continued to adjust me since, but the feeling is as bad or worse. It's particularly felt on the bottoms of my feet and the outer edges into around the 3rd toe. It's much worse when lying down or sitting. I can move my toes and feet, and feel when I touch them- they just feel numb. Sometimes I get a burning down my hip and outer thigh after sleeping on one side or the other at night. I have pain in my lower back sometimes when I sit up.

I bought an inversion table several weeks ago and invert several times a day to around the 5 o'clock position for 5 minutes at a time and it feels great, but there hasn't been any relief in that numbness thing. Right now I am feeling it, and particularly in my left foot, though it is apparent in both. I never have foot or leg "pain" associated with it, just the numb feeling and sometimes burning.

Any thoughts?
You have a nerve being pinched. A mri, ct scan or myelogram will show where the compression is. Leaving this untreated can lead to permanent damage and it can get worse than just the toes and outer thigh. Get checked by a good neurologist in your area to see what treatments you need to decompress the nerve. The quicker you have this done the quicker you can heal. Best of luck to you.

Sissie
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi there. You have a positive history of back trauma sustained during a road traffic accident. You need to show to a neurologist for a clinical examination and an MRI spine to look for prolapsed or degenerative disc disease at the lumbar level causing compressive radiculopathy or cervical central canal stenosis causing myelopathy. You need to be seen by a neurosurgeon since NSAIDS, physical therapy and epidural injection of steroids cannot relieve the numbess due to nerve compression. You will need timely surgical decompression possibly a discectomy or laminectomy to release the pressure from nerves. You need this quick since if irreversible nerve damage occurs, recovery is not possible. Let your surgeon rule out any hip dislocation and nerve compression. Hope this helps. Take care.

Thank you. My chiro has suggested an MRI and I have dragged my heels since having had breast cancer 8 years ago I am afraid to go and have anything show up I don't want to know about, but I know I need to go, since it's not going away.
My hip has been out off and on. But then my chiro tells me it's okay again, - however the tingling and numb feeling doesn't abate. My car accident was 45 years ago. I can't imagine that would cause anything at this point, but I have always had my low back as a "weak" spot since. I'm not taking anything- I'm a stickler for avoiding medications. I've had no injections or NSAIDS, etc.

I guess I can't avoid an MRI, though I had one once and found it very scary. I had breast cancer (lumpectomy, radiation) 8 years ago and have avoided doctors since, except for my mammogram, etc. I've never been one to run to the doctor for every little thing and I had thought it to be a pinched nerve/sciatica and determined from diagrams, etc. it's the L1. Hoped it would de-pinch itself.

Thank you for your great information.
Sorry to hear about your cancer, hope everything turned out ok there. They have open mri's now that is no big deal. I am very claustrophobic and I love the open ones. Also wanted to mention there is a nerve conduction chart on my profile if you are interested in looking. Best wishes.

Sissie  
Thanks, Sissie. I'll check it out.

So far so good with the bc. I have my annual mammo and September it's coming up again. The lumpectomy was in 2003. Keeping positive thoughts!
There is also the possibility of ruling out diabetes. A complete diabetic screen is in order.

It may or may not be nerve compression.
You will be in my thoughts and prayers. Best of luck to you.

Sissie
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi there. I understand your speculations and hesitation to stay away from medical assistance. If your tingling and numbness taking this lot of your attention, you could consult a neurosurgeon and ask him if a discectomy L1 with the required decompression help your symptoms. There is no point not asking for a treatment, which could help, you ease your tingling and numbness. Hope this helps. Take care.

Thank you so much. I will definitely pursue it further.