Occipital Neuralgia Decompression Surgery
I suffer from Occipital Neiralgia, definetively diagnosed in 2004. Nerve Blocks and epidurals are no longer and I am looking for a surgeon who does micro-decompression of the C1-C2 nerve root. Has anyone had success with this procedure for Occipital Neuralgia and can you refer to a surgeon who has had success with this. Thanks.
Yes, I have had the occipital nerves and the frontal nerves decompressed.  I have been fighting an ongoing migraine headache for almost 3 1/2 years with hypersensitivities to sound and light.  My surgeon was featured last year on 20/20.  His name is Ivica Ducic and practices at Georgetown Hospital in Washington DC.  The decompressions helped, but not enough to be "normal" yet.  In two weeks, the occipital nerves will be cut and removed and I hope for a world of difference.  There are 4 criteria that the surgeon looks at, and one of them is "are nerve blocks helping?" If nerve blocks don't help at all (I know when I am due for one), these surgeries may not be the way to go for you.  Hang in there!

Thanks for writing in.
Occipital neuralgias can be successfully treated with micro vascular nerve decompression. A recent study has indicated that almost 70% patients experienced sustained relief after surgery for neuralgia.
http://www.painmanagementrounds.org/crus/painmgt_07.pdf

http://www.springerlink.com/content/q1353q05107363q1/

Hope this helps!

just read your comment  from 2008 how did your surgery work out? I am interested because I have dealt with occipital neurogial also. Thanks for your input.