Neurology Community
PLEASE HELP MY BROTHER

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

PLEASE HELP MY BROTHER

My brother is in his early 30's.  Always been in good health.  About six months ago he started to have weakness spells that lead to head twiching.  Slowly it progressed to slurred speech and he is know twitching and slurring alot.  Some days are worse than others.  He has been admitted into hospital after hospital.  They continue to give him medicaltion and send him on to other doctors.  They don't know what is going on.  We then sent him to the Cleveland clinic where they tested him for 4 days straight.  They ruled out MS, Stroke, heartache, etc.  No results were found.  He slowly got better at the hospital and when he left he was not twitching and slurring his words.  After a few days, it slowly came back and even got worse.  The Clinic told him to go to his Neurologist and have them check you.  The Neurologist thought it could be mental and sent him to psychologist to "retrain the brain and how it process things".  The psychologists has said they don't think it is mental but will keep trying.  Can anyone help guide my family.  It is very scary.  He has lost his job and nothing is working.  Doctors keep waiting and waiting and then checking him, changing his medication, and waiting and waiting.  We are very scared and needing answers.  PLEASE HELP
I'm sorry your brother has not been properly diagnosed yet.  I can suggest a few things to check for, but I, too, do not know what has happened to him.  On the off chance he is doing weight-lifting and takes supplements, some of those things can cause his symptoms, so obviously he must stop.  Also, if there are any other medications he is taking for whatever, the prescribing doc must review side effects and adjust as needed.  Then there is a chance he's had some sort of toxin get into his bloodstream, which bloodwork specifically looking for heavy metals and other toxins can be run on him, to see if anything is wrong there.  

I know, they've done bloodwork, but I think it needs to be done again, which a regular doctor can do near where he lives.  They should also check his blood sugars, AND his liver enzymes, and endocrine panels, and a urine sample to look for kidney problems.  One other thing that doc should run is what his vitamin and mineral numbers look like, it's possible he has a deficiency, like with potassium and magnesium, which bananas have those in them, or even sodium... like if he avoids salt, well then, he needs to perhaps salt his food.  This simple bloodwork can also detect too much of a nutrient in his bloodstream, too, which can cause symptoms, so any daily vitamin he takes COULD be suspect if bloodwork turns that up.  

Since he has some kind of musculature problem, and since scans did not show anything wrong with his brain, then could be part of some disease process that would not necessarily be visible in the brain.  Two things come to mind, one is diabetes, which bloodwork checking his sugars would reveal that, and the other being ALS is the absolute worst, but fortunately unlikely for him, since he is only 30 years old.  But really and truly, a neurologist, who will not haul off and send him to a psych doc, is who needs to be watching over him right now, that and a regular doc, who can do some investigations into his bloodwork.

It would also be helpful if your brother can pinpoint when all this began to happen, it should be fairly clear in his memory when that occurred, as when a person slurs their speech or gets to twitching a lot, that sticks in the mind.  Then if he can remember anything different that happened within a couple months before that started, like a medicine, or a fall, or possible exposure to chemicals, or any supplement, or change in his diet like something new he's been eating or drinking, that MAY help narrow this down a little.

Also, when he picks out a new neurologist, I think he should have his medical and scan reports faxed to the new office which he will go to, becuz the new neuro just might see something that was missed or whatever, and by having a new set of eyes on all his records, this can lead to a discovery.  Keep us posted.  And could be someone else here will have better insight as to what is wrong, excluding what has been ruled out already, unless there was an oversight on something like MS that the docs just simply did not see a typical version of it perhaps.