Neurology Community
Pain/Numbness in hand
About This Community:

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Pain/Numbness in hand

I had surgery two and a half years ago to relieve what was diagnosed as Carpal Tunnel.  I had suffered from the symptoms for over 10 years.  Though I did not have Carpal Tunnel according to the nerve tests, I had all the symptoms to include, pain, numbness, shooting pains up to my right shoulder, and loss of use when picking up heavy objects.  I have never been 100% since the surgery and went back 3 months ago when problems increased.  Again, a EMG was completed showing "normal".  I was referred to a neurologist for an MRI to consider brain disease or nerve problems.  The MRI showed only a herniated disc that was NOT pressing on any nerves and could not be the culprit.  

I am at a complete loss and in misery with my hand.  I type 8 hours a day and am having extreme difficulty.  My hand is most painful in the middle area of the palm with what I am sure is tendonitis in my thumb and wrist.  I can no longer pick up or hold heavy objects in my right hand.  

I have found by accident, that on the nights that I take a pescribed tranquilizer - Lorazapam 1 mg - for stress, that my symptoms are not as bad in the morning.

What is wrong with me?
Related Discussions
2 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
620923_tn?1416285879
Hi...sounds similar.....I was told I had tarsal tunnel (ankle) and had surgery...found out after I had more issues that I never had it.
Turns out I have chiari malformation, cervical spinal stinosis, and DDD, and more....

I suggest depending on when ur Brain MRI was done to review the films and the report...if u do not have copies request them.

If it was a yr or more ago have them redone w/wo contrast....and get copies.

Too many drs consider chiari an incidential finding on MRI's and sometimes do not make note of it on the reports.

I am not saying u have this, only that the "normal" report can be wrong...radiologists can make mistakes...there is something going on....maybe it is something that was missed.

Good luck
"selma"
Blank
Thanks for your input - I just had the MRI with contrast last Friday and was told the results yesterday.  I did not see the films myself though the neurologist looked at the films in another room while I was there.  

I have an appointment back with my regular physician who will be given the findings of the neurologist (they are in the same medial center).  I will look up all the information I can find on your diagnosis and have plenty of questions next week at my appointment.

Hope things are going well for you now that you have a diagnosis.  We sound like a minor episode for "House".

Lorelei

Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Neurology Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank