Pain after Lumbar Fusion
I recently had lumbar fusion on L4 and L5...and this afternoon I was lying down in bed, and
all of a sudden it felt like a knife was stabbing into my back.  I was a little concerned, so
I got up slowly, and was able to stand, but the pain is still there.  It also feels like a bulging
in my back in the scar area.  I was just wondering if some of the swelling could have started
going down, and there is some shifting in my back?
Thank you!!
Depending on how recent your operation was, could be an infection has set in, and the swelling is pushing on a nerve in your back.  That would explain the bulge near your scar area.  If you take aspirin and you notice your back feels better, obviously you need to visit your doc and have him draw blood and make sure you don't have some kind of infection going on.

Also could be scar tissue has formed there, which is natural, but the extra tissue might be tightening up the spaces that nerves travel through, and this would require either physical therapy or surgery to release the tension on the scar tissue.

There's a small chance that your idea about a shift in your spine might be true, in which case an X-ray would show any distortion in alignment, so you could have one of those done to determine what's going on in your spine.

So, those would be my guesses.  I have a bad back, and I need to have an MRI done, but it is expensive, so I just put up with the pain... I take Lyrica for it, a nerve medicine, until I can afford to have one.  But in general, surgeries to the spine can most definitely cause some post surgical pain of all kinds, depending on how far out you are from your operation.