Pain after total hip replacement 5 years ago
I had a total hip replacement 5 years ago and continue to have stabbing pains in my right leg.  Usually when I take a step forward with that leg it feels like someone has stabbed me about midway down on the outside of the leg. In the area of vastus lateralis and IT band is located. It feels weak and unstable when I go up and down stairs. I don't usually have pain in the joint itself.  Mostly like where the stake of it ends in the femur and down into my knee.  Any ideas on what I can do to help eliminate this pain?   I will only take pain meds as a last resort; they make me throw up.  I have been using arnica, icy hot, ice and heat to help with the pain.
Hi, Thank you for your question. I doubt that still there may be some nerve is compressing or injured during that hip replacement surgery. Sometimes these symptoms may occur due to other nerve compression. I would suggest consulting another neurologist who would like clinically examine you and/or order few investigations like MRI to reach at probable diagnosis here. Hope this helps.
I HAD HIP REPLACEMENT IN 07,  AND I AM HAVING PAIN IN THE LOWER BACK & THE TOP OF THE HIP AREA & THE THIGH, COULD IT BE I MIGHT BE CLOSE TO HAVING TO HAVE TO HAVE IT REPLACED AGAIN?
HI I had also a total hip replacement for both hips last Dec 5, 2009, can I asked you what is the name of the company you bought the metal? cuz my metal is made by Smiths and Nephews made in USA and I can Walk as normal person without undergo a total hip replacement.my doctor said total hip replacement have a life span up to 20 years after 20 year they going to change the shell or the polyethylene plastic OnLY which is the main shock upserver of impact when we walk/ in my case in can be life time without maintenance cuz i had the best material in my hips!