Neurology Community
Persistent muscle twitch in calf

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Persistent muscle twitch in calf

I am an adult male in my mid-thirties. For at least five years I have had a persistent muscle twitch in my left calf. I am unsure as to the exact origin of the problem, but about seven years ago I suffered from a bout of sciatica, again in my left leg.

I am reasonably fit (I ran a marathon about eleven years ago which might be the root of all these problems!) and still exercise (running and swimming) quite regularly depending on time and motivation.

The twitching does not seem to have become much worse since it began, but neither has it improved. I sometimes get very painful cramps in my calf, usually at night, and sometimes after exercise.

So my questions are, do I need to be worried about this, and is there anything I can do to get rid of this problem? I am assuming that these are simply benign fasciculations, and I am aware that there doesn't seem to be much that the medical community recommends to help this, aside from reducing anxiety and caffeine consumption (I'm not aware that I suffer from excessive anxiety, and never drink more than two cups of coffee a day).

I was wondering whether any members with similar problems had tried osteopathy, chiropractic or acupuncture with any success.

Glad to receive any suggestions!

sounds like you have problems with muscle spasms that can cause these twitches and cramps.  Ive tried tens units, muscle relaxers, nerve pain meds and nothing has helped except for reading the self trigger point manual massage book.  It tells you how to locate the muscles that are causing the problems and alot of times they are farther away than one would think.  If you havent got your electrolytes tested it might be a good thing to do since potassium and magnesium can greatly affect how the muscles and nerves communicate
Many thanks for your suggestions. I'll check out the massage book you mention, and get my electrolytes checked.