Neurology Community
Pinched nerve in head

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Pinched nerve in head

Dr. Cooley,

I think that I pinched a nerve in my head after I put a lot of pressure on my upper left temple using my jaw/facial muscles during anxiety.... immediately as I was releasing the pressure on my temple I felt a sharp pain on the top corner of my head....I didnt know what to think about it, then days later I closed only my left eye and felt a snapping sound above left eye in that same temple area...after that the sharp pain on top of the head occured frequently everyday for about 3.5 months....two months after injury other symptoms started like pins/needles,feel warm, and numb throughout my entire body...went to the er and cat scan showed that my brain sinks back further on the left side....a month or so after that I started to experience twitching spasms throughout my body as opposed to just my temple areas... the spasms started at night as I was falling asleep my neck would jerk back violently and involuntarily...same thing with my feet snapping back if I were to lay on my back....first visible twitch during the daytime was an involuntary one of my left elbow tendon...began to feel tightness in my neck and from there the twitching spread everywhere legs arms chest abdomen kneecaps...I feel as tho it was the tendons twitching here as well....I felt that same popping noise alongside my temple when I squinted in the sunlight this was followed by a dizzy and nauseous spell that seemed to go on for a few days...my temple is very sore and feels numb at time although the sharp pain on top of my head has stopped...I feel nauseous alot during the day and the twitches are still there...I can feel either a tendon or nerve in my temple that is tight I can feel it move sometimes....I have started to experience numbness in arms and weakness in legs also fingertips feel weak....I am worrried that my symptoms are only progressing and I fear that I will be paralyzed in the near future I dont know what is going on....I am having an mri on wed...does this sound like root nerve damage or a pinched nerve in my head and if so what do you think the final extent of the injury will be???? Thank you for your time!

This discussion is related to Pinched nerve.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
nHi there.  I am not Dr. Cooley and you need to possibly repost your query on the expert forum. You need to consult a neurologist since the symptoms could mean pinched nerves, migraines with aura could be responsible for few symptoms. MRI brain apart from a thorough neurological examination needs to be done. Your doctor will also need to investigate her for multiple sclerosis where the disease phase is characterized by active phase and remissions. It has multiple symptoms and signs and is a diagnosis of exclusion. The symptoms of multiple sclerosis are loss of balance, muscle spasms, numbness in any area, problems with walking and coordination, tremors in one or more arms and legs. Bowel and bladder symptoms include frequency of micturition, urine leakage, eye symptoms like double vision uncontrollable rapid eye movements, facial pain, painful muscle spasms, tingling, burning in arms or legs, depression, dizziness, hearing loss, fatigue etc. The treatment is essentially limited to symptomatic therapy so the course of action would not change much whether MS has been diagnosed or not. Apart from clinical neurological examination, MRI shows MS as paler areas of demyelination, two different episodes of demyelination separated by one month in at least two different brain locations. Spinal tap is done and CSF electrophoresis reveals oligoclonal bands suggestive of immune activity, which is suggestive but not diagnostic of MS. Demyelinating neurons, transmit nerve signals slower than non-demyelinated ones and can be detected with EP tests. These are visual evoked potentials, brain stem auditory evoked response, and somatosensory evoked potential. Slower nerve responses in any one of these is not confirmatory of MS but can be used to complement diagnosis along with a neurological examination, medical history and an MRI in addition, a spinal tap. Therefore, it would be prudent to consult your neurologist with these concerns. Take care.