Neurology Community
Pins & Needles in cheek

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Pins & Needles in cheek

Since christmas day i've been experiencing pins and needles on and off in my right cheek, along with very mild headaches over my right eye/right temple, and a flushing feeling over the right side of the back of my head.

To add a bit of history, i felt a big under the weather, cold and fluey the week before christmas, just assuming i was run down. On the day after christmas day i went to the gym on the cross trainer for 40 minutes. About 10 minutes after that the pins and needles started in my right cheek and down my right arm and right leg. For about two weeks the numbness would be in my cheek from waking, to about 2pm. It seems to have eased since then, it is still worse in the morning but only lasts about an hour now. It's worse if i happen to by lying on that side through the night, or after exercise.

People have suggested things from bells palsy to a trapped nerve to a tumor!!

My GP has referred me to neurology but they can't see me for another 2 months as they don't think it sounds urgent. However i'm due to go on a month long honeymoon soon and just want my mind put at ease that it's nothing serious!

Hi there!

Well, without a detailed clinical evaluation it would be difficult to determine the cause of your symptoms. Possibilities that may need to be considered include infections, inflammations, neuropathies, cranial neuralgias, primary cranial headaches, infections, affecting the nerves, hormonal/ endocrine issues etc. I would suggest getting this evaluated by an internist initially and depending on the cause diagnosed/ suspected, it can be managed accordingly or specialist acre may be sought.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!