Neurology Community
Pins & Needles in cheek

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Pins & Needles in cheek

Since christmas day i've been experiencing pins and needles on and off in my right cheek, along with very mild headaches over my right eye/right temple, and a flushing feeling over the right side of the back of my head.

To add a bit of history, i felt a big under the weather, cold and fluey the week before christmas, just assuming i was run down. On the day after christmas day i went to the gym on the cross trainer for 40 minutes. About 10 minutes after that the pins and needles started in my right cheek and down my right arm and right leg. For about two weeks the numbness would be in my cheek from waking, to about 2pm. It seems to have eased since then, it is still worse in the morning but only lasts about an hour now. It's worse if i happen to by lying on that side through the night, or after exercise.

People have suggested things from bells palsy to a trapped nerve to a tumor!!

My GP has referred me to neurology but they can't see me for another 2 months as they don't think it sounds urgent. However i'm due to go on a month long honeymoon soon and just want my mind put at ease that it's nothing serious!
Avatar dr f tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

From the symptoms you have given me, the most probable cause could be cervical spondylosis. An X ray/MRI of the spinal cord and brain may also help to arrive at a diagnosis. For cervical spondylosis, relief can be got by wearing a cervical collar while working and while traveling. The emphasis here is to not bend your neck. Avoid pillows while sleeping. There are exercises, but it will be difficult for me to explain here. Initially anti-inflammatories and muscle relaxant drugs will help.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.