Neurology Community
Posterior wrist pain
About This Community:

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Posterior wrist pain

Hi, i have been having wrist pain in my right wrist posterolateral side (anatomical position). It started about a year ago and it came and went not causing a lot of trouble. Now its a year later and its almost always painful to Flex my wrist and hyperextend. There seems to me a indent when i flex, which looks odd compared to my other wrist. I am a college student so its difficult to get around to see a doctor, but i went into a walk in clinic a few months ago and he told me it had to do with my muscle or something and suggested wearing a brace if i felt i needed it. i bought a brace and wear it a fair bit, but the pain hasn't gone away or even dulled. If someone could suggest what it may be, that would be great!
Related Discussions
4 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
Hi,
What is your name? How old are you?
Wrist pain, a common symptom, may be caused by different conditions, including trauma, overuse, and infection.
Can you tell me how did this pain start and since how long is this pain?
What is the exact location of the pain?
Is there any redness, swelling, abnormal clicks or any movement which cause pain to increase?
Have you done any investigations so far? If yes, what are they?
Any imaging study is done of your wrist?
Blank
Hi
My name is Andrea, im 20. The pain started after my last set of finals last year i believe, but it went away fairly quickly (1 or 2 days). Its been on and off for about 10 months now. i am not sure how to exactly describe where the pain is other then what i already have.. its more on the lateral side of my wrist.. and when i flex it kind of spreads up to just below my thumb to middle finger.
There is no redness or swelling, that ive noticed. My wrist clicks when i squeeze right above the radius and ulna and or if i ulnar deviate. If i Flex my wrist or hyperextend the pain increases. I haven't really done any investigations.. i just visited the doctor back in september.. i think he thought it had to do with a muscle, and just told me that it wasnt serious and i could brace it if i felt the need to. He didn't order x-rays so nothing has been done. The pain has just persisted longer then before.. now its been about 2 months without it going away.
Blank
Hi Andrea,
I think the pain you are describing can be due to fracture of distal radio-ulnar joint.
The pain is present is both on flexion and extension which is characteristics of fracture.
Radiographs should be obtained to rule out the possibility of a fracture. Once a fracture has been ruled out, test the integrity of the ulnar collateral ligament of the first metacarpophalangeal joint.
You should be consulting an orthopaedician at earliest.
Keep me informed if you have any queries.
Bye.
Blank
Thanks for your help, i visited a doctor this afternoon and he diagnosed me with tendonitis. Thanks for your time!
                             Andrea
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Neurology Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank