Neurology Community
Pulse felt in the head

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Pulse felt in the head

Is it normal to sometimes feel one's pulse in or on the head? I can sometimes feel my pulse on the left and right sight of the back of my head, as well as left of the top. It is only there (ar at least much more pronounced when my heartbeat is up). Is this at all normal, or could these be signs of blood vessel problems in multiple spots? More rarely (when pulse is elevated form excitement, e.g.), I can feel the sensation of my heart beating in my head. The sensation is unpleasant.

I had several very bad headaches almost four years ago, but a CT scan revealed nothing, and the internalist I was referred to was so sure it was nothing that an MRI was not scheduled. I do not have headaches with the symptoms described above. I have recently been to a cardiologist about strong heartbeat: EKG was normal and the doctor thinks it is quite likely that everything is fine, though at the moment I cannot afford an Echo.

I am 26, male, thin build. Anxiety runs in my family, and I am pretty high strung. Only medication is a mild muscle relaxer and pain reliver for TMJ.

I thank you in advance for your advice.
i sometimes feel my pulse in my head, particularly around the temples when i have a headache, or run too fast, or when i'm nervous. you can feel your pulse in many places throughout your body if you pay close attention to it - so it may be anxiety.
High blood pressure also can cause one to feel their pulse in their head, neck and other areas.