Neurology Community
Realistic recovery time required after brain surgery

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

I had brain surgery for a meningioma on July 19, 2007 that lasted 7.5 hours. (The only down side of the surgery was that the drill went too far and a hole was put in my nasal passage but this was successfully repaired with fat tissue from my stomach.) The tumor was touching my right optic nerve.  I have no resulting vision problems or vision damage from the surgery but I have experienced almost constant headaches since the surgery.  (There have been 4 or 5 days since the surgery where I experienced some headache free time.)  I have had an MRI since surgery that shows no complications exist from the surgery and only positive signs of healing, i.e. no fluid build up and no sign of remaining tumor.    The surgeon feels the headaches are not a result of the surgery (please note that I was not like this before the surgery!) but my GP feels the headaches are a normal part of recovery from the surgery.  This conflicting opinion has effected my ability to stay positive, which I do believe is a very important part of recovery - i.e. I would be much more optimistic if I knew this was truly a recovery period and only a matter of time before my brain healed completely after the surgery.  I take T3's for the pain as they provide almost immediate relief.  I have been able to rule out rebound headaches by stopping the T3's and using Naproxen (NSAIDS family).  However the Naproxen is not as effective so I have gone back to using T3's.  I use 2 - 5 T3's a day. The neurosurgeon I was referred to put me on 20 mg. of Apo-Nortriptyline for chronic pain.  This seemed to be his magic bullet and I was unable to get much of an opinion one way or another from him!  The Nortriptyline seems to have helped with a part of the daily pain in that I feel some relief in the part of my head where I did suffer ongoing headaches prior to the surgery (classic tension headaches in temple and connected to back of head into neck).  However, what feel like recovery headaches are currently as painful as ever (5 months later) and to reiterate, they are nothing like anything I experienced prior to the surgery.  I could go on and on but the computer really aggravates the head pain!!!  My thinking is that it would be so helpful if others could share their recovery times and experience with me to help me maintain my perseverance through all of this pain.  
So sorry to hear about this. I would, without a doubt, get a second opinion...from someone whose had my share of neurological problems. Good luck!
How are you now? I had brain surgery for a meningioma in June. The tumor was 6cm. Although it has only been 3 mos. I also get severe headaches daily in which I take Vicodin (4-6 daily). I also have a plate and screws in my head now. The MRI's have shown the tumor is completely gone but I am still swollen and numb. I am extremely tired and wiped out. I have checked out other pages of recovery time and it states that people go back to work within 3-8 wks.I certainly am not ready. I still  have memory issues, concentration and I "stammer" my words quite frequently, and I get dizzy. How long does it really take to recover?
Mine was resected a year ago 3/28/08.  My symptoms include headache, tiredness, generally feeling whiped out.  If I push myself for a day or two, I'm really down for 3-4 days feeling miserable.  I get irritable at these times too.  My memory is not so good, it gets bad when I feel bad.  I get sensory seizures on my left side, which also wipes me out.  There are times where I can go for a week or more feeling pretty good, but only if I take it real easy.  I used to be very active riding bicycles, dirtbikes, camping, many activities to keep me in shape.  I do not yet have the stamina to enjoy them to the fullest yet, and it is frustrating to not be able to get into better shape without pushing myself which in turn causes a few days of down time on the couch.  I am currently worrying about insurance, as I do not feel up to work by a long measure.  Directly after surgery I thought I'd be right back to work, but I know I'm not ready.  It is frustrating, but we are alive.  We will recover eventually.  I've heard the brain can heal for  2-5 yrs after trauma.  
i see this is an old post .how are you doing.i think that you should see an eye specialist
\
I am looking for any inlormation reguarding partial temporal lobe lobectomy Recovery.

I had this procedure twenty four years ago and I have had to go it alone throught out my recovery.  I could write a book on how and when things reconnect.  It is a very long and gradual process and as things reconnected for me I was very aware of the changes.  

I would very much like to find some to talk to about my experiences and start a help group for others to understand what they are experiencing.
My husband had this operation 2 weeks ago and I can not get any information regarding recovery as he seems worse now than before the op
My mom had brain surgery to remove a tumor just before christmas in 2009.  There was quite a bit more swelling than was expected and they were not able to "map" her - wake her up during the surgery - as they would've liked. we were told that she would seem worse at first, almost back to where she was.  everything happened suddenly; thanksgiving weekend in 2009 she was suddenly unable to read and communicate clearly.  we didn't know if she'd had a stroke or what. of course it turned out to be a tumor. she was not quite as bad as that after the surgery, but it took her about a month to be pretty much like old mom again.  she did have frequent headaches and it made us fearful because she later confessed that she had been having terrible headaches prior to thanksgiving time, but thought it was just work stress.  my mom was a social worker.   at an rate this turned out to be normal.  she had radiation and we just found out last week that there appears to be no more cancer in her brain.  now we just have to deal with the lung cancer that started this.  it's been almost 8 months now, and she's a lot like her old self. but because i know her, i can tell that there are moments when she still seems confused. it's little things she says and does that make me feel this way, but you probably couldn't tell unless you were a health care professional or you knew her very well. she's only 63, and in good health other than the cancer.  turns out the high blood pressure she's been battling for years (despite limiting salt and fried food ever since i was a child) may have been a result of the cancer. i'm just wondering if i should expect her to remain like this or is it a slow process back to total normality.
My dad had a benign brain tumour removed on 16 August 2010.  The tumor has damaged his co-ordination nerve on the right side and his mobility is only just starting to get better although it's not fantastic.  He doesn't have headaches or dizzy spells just a very poor appetite and he's constantly vomiting.  The neurosurgeon doesn't think that the vomiting is a symptom of the surgery he's had he seems to think it could be something to do with his diabetes.  However, our GP's seem to think that it could be a result of the surgery!  He says everything tastes horrible.  Have any of you had these symptoms after your surgery?  It's so difficult you feel like you are left on your own and not getting no where and any answers.  Everythings been traumatic enough without the constant worry that there could be further problems and us not getting anywhere.  
I had a left parietal benign brain tumor removed Sept '09. Severe right leg numbness after wards. In Jan 2010 one of the screw and a plate had to be removed because it was starting to protrude out of the top of my head...so needless to say in July 2010 he had to go back in yet again and fix the "hole in my head" most likely due to the lack of plate and screw. I am in pain everyday!!! Prior to surgery I knew the risks associated with this type of surgery, just wasn't informed I may never sleep again.(all 3 surgeries have done by the same surgeon). I can't get a second opinion where I live, cause no one wants to touch someone else's #%@! up!! As of right now, I take pills to sleep and pills to wake up. I can only sleep with sleeping pills and the best sleep I get is sleeping sitting up, I can't put any pressure on my head, even from the softest of pillows!! I'm not a complainer! I just my my life back. I work in the medical field...for a surgeon. (not a brain surgeon thou') I have sought legal advice, just last week. Not so much to sue, but to find out my rights to get seen just for a fresh perspective!!! Cause the friggin' indent is back in my head and I'm back to square one. I'm only 40 years old, if another surgeon looks and says there's nothing more that they can do, then fine. I will suck it up and survive, but seriously if it was "fixed" in July, why is there a hole in my head???
Is there anyone out there who has a parent who had Meningioma tumors removed? After approximately 3 weeks my father is still in the hospital, not rehab.  He is over 80.  He thinks he is somewhere other than the hospital.  He had a slight stroke a week after the surgery so his left side is weak.  He still can not walk.  He does remember some people who visit him and family.  He is eating.  He is sleeping a lot. He has a lot of steps in his home so he needs to be able to walk before he goes home.  Does anyone know the approximate recovery time and is it possible that he will walk again?  Any information is helpful.  Thanks in advance.
I had Brain surgery 16 years ago, when I was 24 I was sick for a year before I ended up in the ER note: with Paralysis on one side of body and loss of speech. I was tired like I had an 8 to 5 job and just wanted to get out at 5 and early more and more couldnt stay was not like me, frustrated like irratated easily, weight gain, vomitting with any intake of alcohol just two glasses of wine or a couple beers it was hard for me to think concentrate, kind of scared to drive, and shop by myself the last month before I ended up in ER. It was removed not all of it. But was not feeling a 100% after 6 weeks after surgery, I stopped taking all drugs...wanted to feel what was real pain and I'm glad I did. All that garbage doesnt help and if your constantly thinking about it everyday the pain you'll have it. With the drugs they made me lazy tired depressed. Never again. 6 months after surgery I developed water sack water on the brain they call it. And would have to go back under to have a drip line put in but it disappeared and never came back. So three years later some of the old tumor left in was growing. I had Gama Knife out patient surgery 200 rays of radiation pinpoint the tumor it worked. Several months after surgery I did have Insomnia but that went away when I went back to work. And I do remember having a hard time watching movies with flashing lights anything or anything with fast spinning scenes but that went away. I didnt go back to work for 9 months could have went back sooner I was scared I think mostly afraid and intimated by the real world, didnt know if I could make it once I got out there and going after 2 weeks I knew it I felt better and was back on track. Here I am 40years old now and in March 2010 hhmm blacked out after drinking a bottle of wine head pounding for 2days and noticed big bump on head hhmm I had some weird things happen to me in the last 6 months and had blacked out twice one time over drinking 6 beers and its not me not handling my alcohol in take and Im not an alcoholic either another example I had eaten a bowl of bluberries which I have done before and my face on left side had swollen up fast in 2seconds numbness it went down also have had alot of numbness in hands legs...So I headed off to the dr and we did an MRI and I have  another one a Brain tumor. I can t wait its now June and Im soo tired and its hard to work and walk I want this thing removed and my life back
This time I'm going in and out and back to work pain or not I believe if I stay at home and focus on my pain like last time it will take over and the drugs I'm not gonna be on more then two weeks I'll keep them to take only if really bad. I believe getting out in the work force being around people will help with the recovery, I'm not intimadated this time I have a great job and want to go back. I'm very fortunate to have the opportunity to have surgery some people cant and I'm thankful that its benign. Its hard to see or notice or even for a person to notice these symptoms in loved ones it kind of creeps up on you and if its with older people we just say ooohh were getting old memory loss.
thats why I suggest you really know your body and yourself. And if you have something weird happen to you or a family member thats not like normal get it checked out ASAP. I dont blackout from 6 beers my face doesnt swoll up when I eat blueberries I dont need to sleep all the time then please check it out I believe everyone has different symptoms. Also if you have had other things like seizures or strokes on top of just having brain surgery
those are serious and different those need major recovery you need healing time everyone is different.

...Hugzz and smillzzz and Prayers to all of us and our loved ones
I had a DNET removed 7weeks ago and over the last 3 days I'm having lightheaded spells. The benign tumour was on my left temporal lobe and caused very minor epilepsy (de ja vue) feelings
I went to the gym yesterday with a slight light headedness and ended up sitting on exercise bike and the head eased and allowed me to do what I had planned and even left me feeling that I could o more but I stuk to my recovery plan.
Has anyone had this issue and how long has it lasted.
I'm a very active person sport wise and work too but at the mo I spent most time doing nothing and trying to relax.
Before I had surgery I was told I would be back at work between 6-8 weeks but It looks more like 6 months to recover
This is me! I had a large sphenoid thing that looked like a butterfly since it had also gone over the spinal cord. Any way, this is about 7 months since surgery. I had practictally (sp) no symptoms until I had major seizures at work. They found this thing in my head.My brain was so swollen i had to stay in ICU for a week to calm down the swelling before they would do the surgery.  The last thing I remeber was being at work and then what felt like two months after i sorta just came around I really thought that I would be back at work in no time. The surgean said so. However there have been issues all along and my GP docter would not clear me to go back to work. And I still have not. It is very frustrating as I feel sometimes I can do a whole day of work and blah balh. In reality, that is not what has happened. I now get migraines that I never never had before. My time is very limited as I can only be physically doing anything for a couple of hours at time. If I do more, It takes what seems like days to get over. I feel like I am in a perpetular circle. I am sorta learning that for now, I have to go a little slower, Not do a ton of physical work in a day (couple of hours) I have spectacular loss of short and long memory. II can walk not run and I do regulary loss balance and have to really pay attention. I am trying to make peace with all this. what took years to turn bad with no symptoms has suddenly changed everything. Due being 51 and female and havining a crainiotomy, I think finding a job again is going to be pretty tough. I have a BBA degree (not doing me a lot of good now) and I just think the job market is passing me by. Life is not passing me bye it is just going to be a litttle different than before.
It helps to vent sometimes. My family and my GP and my Neurologist are all very good. I try try to enjoy. You know that most people value themselves against their work? Those days are gone. Now we have to make a different way to fulfill our own value. Thanks
I am scheduled to have a questionable mass removed from my right frontal lobe on jan 10, 2012. We started out with a mass? That was then thought to be a giant aneurysm ( but was sent home while they thought about it !) then I was told it is a cavernoma but on my last visit I got " it's probably a cavernoma" so who knows what is in there? Not me :)  my mass also started off as a golf ball then was said to be size of a lemon but my measurements are 2.3cmx1cmx2.5cm. That does not measure out to me. I have had huge personality shifts, headaches for as long as I can remember but much worse now, jumbled words, I type jibberish sometimes, I am exhausted. It seems exhausting just to exist. My right side of my body twitches involuntarily.. The doc said I am probably having sub clinical seizures.my memory is terrible. I am 32 years old and I feel like I have deteriorated. I am usually very active, working out was my hobby along with taking care of my 4 children. My life functioned on stress and now I have just stopped, I'm in slow motion. There is evidence of previous hemorrhage  on my left side where I have a Dva and previous bleeding on my right side as well. Now after having an angiogram, I have some kind of nerve damage down my right leg and groin that is "normal". My doctor said my surgery would take 4-5 hours, be out of hospital in two days and my recovery time is a week.REALLY? I'm scared things aren't going to be fixed, what if they are the same? Then everyone can think I'm faking that like they did my symptoms I've had for years. I need my life back. I already have a headaches everyday,I can't seem to see past my surgery........
I also just passed 3 months since my meningioma removal and I am more exhausted than ever!  Everyday about 3 or 4 pm I feel like my eyes and my body just gives out and all I want to do is close my eyes and rest.  I have gone back to work but working on the computer all day is really tiring for my eyes and brain.  I feel good otherwise, I take care of my 6 year old son and mornings are great.  Energy is great till later in the day.  My left eye still has a swollen ledge above it and wearing contacts is not working so I remain in my glasses- I just cannot wait for my eyes to feel better and look better- they get very heavy and squinty because i can hardly keep them open.  My Nuero says give it time and in JUly I have a 8 month MRI scheduled .  My 3 month MRI showed all clear.  I guess I just need to wait it all out and hope that my energy level comes back and my eyes regain strength again.  Hope you feel better too :-)
Hello ...How did your surgery go?  I was wondering because I am going through almost the same thing first a mass then cavernoma then aneurysm to they don't know what it is. But my angiogram showed a small aneurysm so I am going for surgery on the 23rd to clip the aneurysm and to remove the other thing. But unlike you my only symptoms were vision problems in my right eye. Did they ever say what it was? How are you doing today ,hopefully everything went well. How long was your recovery time a week like they said? I am so scared to have surgery I can't thing about anything eles.
First time ever getting involved in a blog, am very happy to be able to communicate with others who have had brain surgery.  I am 8 months post op from resection of a meningioma. I had a right frontal temporal  crainiotomy. I have steadily improved; however, this month I began getting headaches again that are just like the ones before my surgery?  I know regrowth is a possibility but think it would take years before anything would be detected, does anyone know if it is possible for regrowth to happen within the first year?
I just had an  crainiotomy for a 4x3.5x4 front lobe brain tumor I found out I had after an eye exam had to have 2 embalisms via angiograms before the surgery to kill the blood vessels to the tumor but everything went well the tumor was found to be non cancerous and they got it all out but my surgon scheled me for reg MRIs to check for regroths my freinds and family where amazed at how fast I healed and recovered but that generic verison of keppra they gave me to prevent possible seziures *****.

has your doctor told scheduled you for a followup MRI?
im having surgery on august the 2nd for moya moya daiseaase  which is a problem that causes miny strokes so now im getting surgery done on my head
Hi all, I just had meningioma surgery last Sat 14 Jul 2012.  My main symptoms started 2-3 months ago with horrible headaches, some 5-8 second blindness episodes if i sat up from sitting or sleeping too fast as if some flashed a bright light in my face. When headaches hit, I wold get tired quite a bit.  I am a EMS helicopter pilot and have always had perfect 20/20 vision but my vision started to get worse, thought old age was creeping up on me ( I am 46).  At first just started to use cheapy reading glasses for close in reading but after my last flight week I decided to see eye doc for some scripts as I didn't feel safe flying in that condition.  I had no problem flying the aircraft or seeing outside, just the close in inside stuff getting hard (reading frequencies and maps).  My GP never got concerned about my headaches because they would go away with OTC migraine medicine.  I also have sleep apnea and use the CPAP mask and about 6 weeks ago I had equipment issues for a week left me not using the CPAP and left me very tired leaving doc to think my tired headaches were caused in part by no CPAP therapy for brief period.

So Wed the 11th my eye doc did usual eye exam for prescriptions but also dilated the eyes to look at retina and optic nerves.  He saw that my optics nerves were swollen and pressured. Concerned he scheduled me for MRI next day.  MRI reveals 7cm mass on right frontal lobe. So Thursday night I am off for the the Medical Center of South Carolina (MUSC) Charleston.  Fri they did a proc to scope out the mass and close off about 80% of the blood supply to it.  So Sat was big day and I feel amazingly fortunate so far in  that they removed 100% of it with no complications.  Spent Sunday recovering and post op CT scan, all looking good.  Monday morning I was released with oxycodone and sent home.

Started keeping a journal.  First night had real bad hallucinations from the steroid meds, stop those went away.  I would tired easily and breathing tough after any surgery, but my mind felt like it was in turbo charge mode in great way but also hard to wind down actually sleep. My wife via doc also then put me on xanax to chill. But after 2-3 days the sleep deprivation kicked and the OxyContin would now feel like I was wearing a 20 lbs pleasure suit. I actually started walking around too much and was drinking one shot of 18 year scotch each because I just survived brain surgery :) and things went south for a half day on day 9 post op.  around midnight just started feeling weird and queasy which turned into a 4-5 second partial seizure where I fell asleep but no convulsions.  Ended up getting released 4-5 hours later with some anti-seizure meds.  Since then my wife has turned into nazi nurse and keeps me pretty much on bed rest and no scotch :(

It is now day 11 post surgery, feeling surprisingly good.  Have short term memory loss and repeat myself sometimes.  I am still taking 2 OxyContin every 4 hours for pain and anti seizure, so far so good. Still not sure why they did not give them when I left the hospital.  Good news is that I am also finally having bowel movements too after 11 days.  I have a follow up in a couple of days because of the partial seizure and my first scheduled follow with surgeon in 3 weeks.  Have nothing but incredible things to say about the MUSC Neorological dept doctors, nurses, and staff...they were awesome!

Staying optimistic and sending prayers to all those out there going through this life changing procedure.
How are you doing now?
be careful on the oxy and wien off it slowly,it is very addicting you may find yourself on it way longer than you need it cause you just think it still hurts
I can relate to all of you. I had a large benign tumor partially resected in Dec 08 and have been in pain ever since. Am on lots of meds which I hate & surgeons don't think they can help me. All I can say is hang in there & try different things. I am still trying to find what works for me & I hope I find it soon.
hello ladymelons.
I'm new to this forum. I just read your post from 2010, about your dad having problems vomiting and nausea after surgery. My father has the same symptoms. Could you gime me an update on what happend since then. I'm not writting a lot since I'm not sure you're still on this forum
Thanks a lot
Update:
Happy to report doing great since my last post and post op seizure. It has now been about 9-10 weeks since surgery and partial seizure. I got off the OxyContin after about 2 weeks and have not suffered any setbacks or in any pain. I feel extremely fortunate for my outcome and recovery. I am back to running 3-4 mile 3 times a week, feel great during the day, but get tired and sometimes grumpy at night. I am still on anti-seizure meds for at least a few more months, they make me tired, dont like them but prob good else i would overdo things probably. I feel mentally and physically 20 years younger (i am 46) after getting that big blob of crap out of my head)

My wife says my personality has changed, that I am back in "Marine Corps" mode ( I retired in 2008), which is code for I have become more OCD and detailed orientated :). We seem to argue more these days because I think she went through more of an emotional roller coaster than I did and hasn't yet decompressed from it. Dealing with cabin fever because I cannot drive per SC law until Jan 2013, but enjoying being a full time dad and husband.

I wish everyone out there all my best, stay positive, and keep pushing through, one day at a time.
I will be having surgery november 6 to have a meningioma removed.  It was first discovered in march of 2011 after i noticed a change in my mood and behavior that upset me, as I teach special needs children at the middle schooll level, and then come home to be a single mom, age 37to my 14 year old daughter.  A psychiatrist suggested an mri and there it was.  I was monitored and had repeat mri's in august 2011, then jan 2012, which showed slight growth.  In Feb, I was hospitalized for VEEG testing to rule in or out seizure or seizure like activity.  I started to zone out and lose time, the get lost in my lectures when teaching and forget what I was saying, and pretty much forget anything that was said to me, recently.  My mood and behavior continued to change, for the worse...short tempered with manic and then isolation and depression.  A second VEEG test was done again in April, that recorded an episode similar to what I had experienced, then discharged...very frustrated, since that neurologist reported me to the mvc and i was maile a letter notifying me of suspension of driving for a minimum of a year from last seizure.  
        So, I stopped teaching and did my best to get to my doctor appointments weekly.  then at the end of May, I was hit by a car at an intersection, while on my bike, and it was bad.  1 week in the hospital post surgery for a fractured patella and other wounds, cuts, bruises.  My helmet saved my life... But....it may have caused this......
        An mri on september 14 showed the tumor grew, changed shape, moved location...1/3 in crom my right optic nerve and too close to a major artery.  Neurosurgeon was very confused as to why, at my age, I even had a meningioma...that was growing.
       Well,  in 1984, for the treatment of leukemia, I was treated with cranial radiation, over 1800 rads.  That, says the neurosurgeon, is most likely the cause of my meningioma.....so, it is coming out.
       I have a 1 in 5 chance of recurrance...and want other possible patients who were treated with radiation back in the early 1980's, to be aware and as prevention, get an mri...women especially.
I had a meningioma removed one year ago and I have started having sort of similar sx's. headache, sick to my stomach and tired.  I have my next MRI in Dec.  My first MRI several months after surgery was clear so I am hoping the same for this time.  It does make me anxious when similar sx's appear.  I am told the risk of reoccurrance is very low, but somehow right now that doesn't give me much solace.  I beleive I am still recovering from the first surgery.  I have not regained the same level of energy prior to the first symptoms and surgery.   I swim laps and was swimming about a mile in one hour.  Now I am lucky to get a 1/2 mile in an hour.  I thought by now I would be back to same level. I also have issues with memory.  I have to visual something in my mind before I can come up with the word.  Not sure if this is normal for my age (57) or caused after surgery.  I am thinking this is not so and am going to work on accepting where I am at right now.
Hi. I had endovascular pipeline stenting for a giant carotid artery aneurysm in the cavernous sinus 5 weeks ago. I had vision problems only(double vision and squint) prior to surgery. I am having pain and headaches and also some nausea/vomiting and dizziness since surgery. I am trying to get back to normal but if I do a normal days activity I end up feeling ill for a couple of days after. There is no improvement in my vision problems. Can you let me know how your recovery went. I was told I would be back to normal after 2-3 weeks so don't know why I seem to be struggling so much.
I had a pituitary adenomectomy in 1994. Prior headaches tension and migraine. MRI, surgery performed via nasal cavity. Fascia procured from right thigh as pack tissue. Recovery from April 1994 to now. I am grateful to God for sustained recovery throughout the past 18 yrs. Thanks to all people, my dear Brethren. I love you all.
I had a golf ball sized benign menengioma resected from my right temporal lobe on 10/25 after collapsing at work from a seizure (apparently, I had another gm seizure in the ambulance). I did not have any symptoms and was unconscious for about 8 hours--- I woke up in the ICU to be told of my tumor. My husband was with me the entire time...and we really didn't have much time to think or be scared about the surgery to remove the tumor. Well, the surgery went as well as one could expect...it lasted about 4 hours and I stayed one night in the regular ward and then came home. Thank God, the pathology showed it was benign.
My recovery has been steady, but slow. I had headaches at the early stages, but they are subsiding; my sleep is up and down. I'm on Keppra (500mg 2xday)...and this seems to be making me groggy and irritable. I would like to stop taking the Keppra, but the neurologist said I need to stay on it for up to 6 more months. I'm going for a follow up MRI/contrast scan in January and will see how my brain is healing and get a baseline of any scar tissue. I'm not driving or going places by myself (walking our dog on trails near our house is out without company, no riding a bike or swimming). It doesn't matter because I don't have a lot of energy to do these things...

I'm mostly nervous about having another seizure and about returning to work, which is scheduled for Jan. 2nd. My PCP referred me to a pretty good Psychologist who said that I'm still recovering from the trauma of all of this and should extend my disability leave another month once I get my follow up MRI/scans. The trauma that's hitting me is that l could have died had I not by chance happened to be at work with others around and luckily very close to a major teaching hospital that has a level 1 trauma unit. Intellectually I know how lucky I am, but I'm still very tired and very anxious about going back to work. I'm hoping to have my leave extended until after my follow up MRI/scans in mid/late January, but I need to get permissions and so am leaving messages with all the 'players' in hopes this can be accomplished before everyone leaves for the holidays...Oh, and I'm also not driving right now---and I need to be able to drive for work.
My employer is being as helpful as possible, but they need more paperwork to extend me, etc. I know I need to return to work, but I want to feel ready to tackle all that comes with re-entering and reconnecting with my work mates, etc. (several of whom witnessed my collapse and are probably traumatized as well). I also have a pretty 'big' job, so I'm nervous about being able to pick up all my responsibilities without totally feeling overwhelmed. I'm mostly mentally/physically exhausted in the middle of the day and my memory can be spotty when I'm tired (mostly short term forgetfulness)...physically, my left side is a bit weaker, but the neurologist said this should get stronger as I walk and do routine things, but she doesn't seem to think I need any formal PT.

Wish me luck as I try to tackle an extension of my leave. I have a call into the neurology dept in hopes they will back me up. I just want to go back to work when I have more energy and after I know about my follow up scans and how this will impact my Keppra dosage.

I'm concerned that when I return to work, everyone will think I'm back to 'normal'. And I'm not feeling that way now and I seriously doubt I'll feel that way by Jan 1st. Even though my hair has grown more and is covering my scar (8 inch section on the right side of my skull), I still feel like my body is still healing...Does anyone else have these concerns or have they dealt with re-entering their job after such a traumatic and physically and mentally exhausting experience? If so, how did it go for you? Thank you for reading this far and for any advice.
I'm there with you - fighting too. That's why I am looking on this forum for info and help - 2 tumor resections in 09 1 in 1/09 left supra parietal 8 hrs and 1 right frontal 13 hours both benign - both have taken my life. I am in extreme pain. Fluid still on the left on. Seizures almost daily. Trying to hang on to get my youngest daughter through college. Seeing a new NS 12/28 - but just found out that my old Neurologist didn't even read my MRI from 12/11 and see the continued fluid around my back plate - have a new neurologist now sending me to a new NS - oh I hope they can help. Oh and how I pray each and every one of you will get help. Please don't stop trying. Don't give up. I feel like such a freak some days. But we are not we are survivors. We are worthy of answers and being helped.
I have just recently been DX'd with a 9mm meningioma on my frontal lobe. Is this a cause for concern for surgery, Or should I wait for it to grow larger? I am 42 yrs old with HBP and Diabetes. What is the recovery time for a tumor removal? Does this guarantee NO recurrence of another tumor? Please help answer these questions I am in GA non family or friends,,Trying to decide if I need to move back to NC where my family and friends are.

Ang
Who was your neurosurgeon at MUSC?  I live in Columbia and just got MRI results that show a mengionoma.  I am 46 also.  I see a neurosurgeon next week for the first time, but I am a big fan of MUSC and will definitely want a second opinion.

Hope you are doing well. I am in big time denial that this is even happening.

NDenial 2013

Hope you are doing well.
tI had 1/2 my brain tumor removed(right frontal lobe) but still have .4cm left non cancerous. I did proton radiation for ugh I forget how many months, sorry I was rambling, so I have a seizure disorder of course and headaches constantly but yet im prescribed no pain pills, slight hallucinations not sure if that was from the coma I was put in during surgery because I seized a few times. All this happened on my 1st Grand Mal seizure, heck seizure that that even knew I was having.
I had a tumor removed April 2013.. I've had headaches and neasea headaches are more like a lingering pain than anything.. I get the feeling someone is pulling on my hair were my cut was and have feelings like rubber ands and water pouring out of my head.. Mine was b9 though and dr says it is normal and some people feel like they have bugs on their head.. It's been over a month now in back to work part time.. But very tired still.. I eat more since the removal of my tumor it was 5cm in size.. I more irritable and moody kinda thinking bipolar one sec I'm ok next I'm mad at world.. Hard to concentrate on one thing where as before I was a great multitasker..
A cop pulled me over outside Austin for weaving.  It was my tumor, big as a grapefruit.  Benign Menigioma.  Two weeks in the hospital.  A permanent shunt, and I looked like the bride of Frankenstein for awhile, till they removed the staples.  I'm sixty, have always been in good health.

I have a feeling we are all gonna recover differently.  I spent all of January, half of February and March sleeping.  Just started driving a month ago, late August.  Still sleep alot, my biorhythm has changed, now very tired by 10pm, but don't sleep so much every day, and I have days where have real bursts of energy.  Also have some insomnia, and prickles of pain, and just take TExtra.  Nothing else.
I didn't think it would take this long.  Miss exercising badly, and have gained 25 pounds.  Good appetite and I drink wine.  
I am one month out of surgery to remove a large meningioma that had wrapped itself around the optic nerve. Surgeon said the tumor was between baseball and softball size. Your recovery issues sound identical. I hit the wall about 3 pm every day and have to rest. Still have trouble sleeping (even with Ambien) and food still doesn't taste right. I have trouble with mood swings and melt-downs, which usually occur in the evening. This is not me and I have difficulty accepting the changes in my life. While I am blessed and grateful that the surgery was successful, I just want to look and feel normal again. (My right eye droops and the eyebrow isn't even with the left. I could go on but it sounds like you know my story. I hope you're doing much better since your post.
I see you wrote this in January. I hope you moved back where your family and friends are. You will NEED them. Trust me. And I hope you figured out a solution for your tumor. Whether you had surgery or radiation. I wish you well!

-Sage
I am a little late with seeking support. I had a mengioma removed in May of 2013. What did you decide to do? We may be able to help each other.
wintercalm
I am a little late seeking support.Just joined the community I had a meningioma removed in May of 2013. It was wrapped around my optic nerve as well. My right eyelid is completely closed. My right eye while it has good vision is partially paralyzed and has limited movement. I went to specialists for reconstructive surgery. After taking measurements it seems as though my eyes will still not be asymmetrical. I so share your sentiments.Grateful, blessed but completely wiped out. Accepting the change in my appearance is a call on Jesus everyday. It may not be the case for you. There are options. Wishing you healing.
wintercalm
It is now a year after my 8 hours of surgery for a grapefruit-sized brain tumor.
I am sixty, and worked out three times this week, kickboxing and weights.
Had neck pain and blurred vision after the surgery.  Took some medication, but tried to take as little as possible.  The neck pain lasted a month, the blurry vision seven months.

I get tired more easily, need naps during the day, often.  Then I have great days when I have so much energy I could burst.  It only lasts 3-4 hours, then have to sleep.  Good 8 hour sleep or more, am working part-time, don't think I can go to an intensive 40 hour a week job yet.

The tumor was on my left side beside my ear.  I have a permanent shunt, and a deep indentation behind my ear where they "chipped bone."  Can't color my hair anymore but I don't care,  just want to be healthy again.  Hope all this helps. I won't let myself get depressed, or feel sorry for myself.  Exercise helps.  
did your eyebrows ever even out?  Ihave the same thing.  Kind of a droop eyelid also.  Eye Dr. said a nerve could have been clipped but that it might repair itself.  Wait and see.
Can someone please tell me how long the surgery is for a sphenoid wing meningioma? please
Hi, I had a 7cm grade 2 meningioma completely removed on May 14 2014.  2 days in hospital, 12 days in rehab for OT and PT.  Home now.  Have an AFO prosthetic on my left leg that goes mid calf.  I walk with a cane.  If I do too much, I get head pressure but not painful.  See my neurologist next week to see if I can drive and return to work on light duty....
I'm glad I found this forum. I'm hoping to get some help.
My husband just had surgery  a week ago today to remove a meningioma that was pushing against the brainstem. His surgery lasted 10 hours. They went in behind his left ear.
Husband came home Monday.
As of now he still has dizziness/nausea mostly if he's up walking to much which he can only go short distances before feeling unstable and dizzy. Or rolling over in bed and sudden turns of the head. His left eye can't focus when he looks to the left and he has muffled hearing in his left ear, fluid is what he hears. He also has no voice still and his tongue hurts on his right side which maybe is from being intubated??? He also said food doesn't taste the same. His stomach seems slow to digest even though he did have his first bowel movement 4 days after the surgery.

Can any of you tell me all this is normal? He seems "different' like he's sad too.
Thank you