Aa
A
A
Close
Referred Pain to Left Shoulder & Neck
2 years ago I had laparoscopic surgery for the repair of a hiatial hernia and the Lap Band (adjustable gastric banding) was implanted.  Since the day of the surgery in October 2005 I have lived with increasing referred pain to my left shoulder, clavicle and neck.  I have suffered no injury or trauma to that region of my body.  The pain is triggered when I eat, laugh, speak extensively, sit in certain positions, drink carbonated beverages, powerwalk or have pressure place on my chest and abdomen.  

From my research I have learned that this may be from an issue with my diaphragm thus creating phrenic nerve pain referred to the left shoulder and neck.  I have requested help from my surgeon that performed the original surgery, but he has refused to assist me.  Can someone please give me advice on what to do?

JZackary
Cancel
2 Answers
Page 1 of 1
Hi.

Your pain, while possibly referred pain, can also be caused by nerve impingement/compression at the cervical spine level.

If your surgeon refuses to assist you in managing your pain, you should consult a neurologist instead to properly evaluate your condition as well as check for other disorders that might have been causing the shoulder pain.

Hope this helps.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
18193566 tn?1463424166
Thou shalt not drink carbonated beverages with the lap band. It causes the pain you just described.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Do you know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Answer
Post Answer
A
A
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Neurology Community Resources