Restless Leg Syndrome
I am a 53 year old female who has RLS. The pain begins early in the evening and lasts throughout the night. The original symptoms began in my late 20's. Unfortunately, at that time doctors thought I was crazy. Finally, there is medication available and the pain is considered a serious problem. I recently heard that this is a definite neurological problem in the field of MS and ALS.  Has anyone heard anything more about what may cause this problem and how this current information came about???

I appreciate any information you would like to share.

Kindly,

Rhonda
Dear Rhonda,
I am in my 50s and I also have RLS.  This same website has a forum for those people under "Sleep," I think, and also there's a forum and lots of info at www.rls.org.  

As for your question about the cause of the problem, whether it's neurological or not, I can tell you from everything I've learned, articles written, books, that no one knows what causes it for certain.  As you know, originally they labeled it "sleep disorder," which is incorrect, as RLS does not come from sleep problems, rather it's the other way around.  As for neurological causes, nerve medicines do not stop RLS, so that may not be the simple answer.  Some have written it has to do with a brain mechanism.  I personally think it is a muscular disorder.  But no one knows.
GG
Hi Rhonda,
I have gone through your presentation.
Restless leg syndrome is a neurological disorder involving nervous system, affecting movements of legs. It usually occurs in sleep, hence considered a sleep disorder. The cause is still unknown. RLS may be related to abnormalities in brain chemicals or to abnormalities in the part of the central nervous system that controls automatic movements. RLS can also be due to anaemia or peripheral neuropathy.
Investigations like blood test, nerve conduction studies can be performed, on prescription of a neurologist. Medicine for other underlying conditions can be started.