Neurology Community
Rhodiola For Tardive Dyskinesia. Any Suggestions?

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

I take rhodiola (340 mg.) 2 or 3 pills a day for tardive dyskinesia and what they are identifying as tardive psychosis. I found out about it at a presentation by a clinical researcher and decided to take it. My current neurologist who is a movement disorders specialist allows me to take it but he wasn't personally familiar with it. It is a natural remedy but clinically confirmed. But the online material just says it has "healing energy". I know that it boosts dopamine which helps on movement and serotonin which helps on mood. But most anti-Parkinsonian medications were not tolerable for me. I've tried them all. Has anyone tried rhodiola for Parkinson's, tardive dyskinesia or any other related disorder?
At 2 pills it barely works. I have dysphagic spasms in my throat. At 3 pills I can eat pizza.  The same with myoclonic (full body) and respiratory spasms. And the dissociation and depression from Parkinsonian depression and psychosis. 3 pills stops all this. But at 3 pills as expected, I feel a bit manic, border on psychotic, am awake most of the night and it is sedating during the day. 4 pills was way too much. I started to get headaches. I can monitor for mental side effects. But are there physical side effects it could cause that are of concern? My neurologist is very intelligent but called up other studies. Is anyone personally familiar with it for any use? And some guidelines for taking it. If most of this post is too clinical I apologize (its all clinically confirmed) but any advice of any kind would be welcome. Thanks.

Thanks for writing in.
Rhodiola is being hailed as a miracle treatment for parkinson’s disease. It is supposed to raise the level of dopamine by inhibiting COMT enzyme which metabolizes dopamine much like the prescription drug.
Placebo controlled trials of rhodiola have shown its efficacy in patients with depression. It is known to enhance cognitive functions, mental and physical performance under stress and sexual function.
However more studies are needed to support the use of Rhodiola for these clinical conditions and to study its side effect profile.

There is a book, "Rhodiola Revolution," that may answer some of your questions.
You can look for at at Amazon.com to read the review.
Have you tried different brands of Rhodiola?  I use it for fatigue, and noticed that some brands seem to do nothing.

Carol
Thanks. GNC is the brand I use as its the pure version. It does work. I should read that book and the author of the book was the clinician doing a presentation at a Parkinson's group where I found out about it. He is conducting a specific controlled study but I know in any study you can get a placebo so I don't go into studies but when the compounds being studied are available out of study, I take them under the care of a professional if they are willing to authorize it. I don't advise this for everyone. In fact, I'd probably advise against it. But since the rhodiola stops life threatening dysphagic spasms, I honestly have no choice. I know the glycine I take as an antipsychotic has been in multiple Phase II FDA studies for 5 years now and they are beginning to understand it much better now and I hope the same occurs for the rhodiola as it seems a bit of an unknown quantity now although a very helpful one for me.