Neurology Community
Rib fractures 6 months ago still have some pain

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

I fractured my anterior ribs on the left side back in October after I fell getting into a boat. At the time the x-ray didn't show anything but the pain felt like a fracture. It has been 6 months and my ribs on that side stick out further than the right now and I get discomfort. It also effects my breathing when I do any cardio, it is a strange feeling I can't describe too well. I was at the doctor the other day for a bad cold and finally remembered to show her the ribs, she was the one to evaluate me back when it happened and sent me for a bone scan. I don't have the results paper but it showed that yes they were fractured. They are recommending that I go to an Otrhopedic doctor which I am planning on doing. Has anyone ever had any pain this far after the injury? I want to get back into my usual workout routine and it's too uncomfortable. Why would the ribs be sticking out so much unless it was a clean break?
Thanks.
Thank you for your question. The symptoms you are describing are associated with impingement of nerve after ribs fracture leading to numbness, tingling sensation or pain. I would advise an orthopedic consultation who may investigate the problem with help of X-ray or MRI of the chest to reach to a probable diagnosis and further treatment required as per the diagnosis achieved. The first line of treatment mostly involves a splint to stabilize the ribs and needs to be worn at night or during the day for several weeks. Surgery may be successful in your case but suggested on severity and duration of nerve compression. In addition, avoid or reduce the number of ribs and associated movements whenever possible. Hope this helps.