Rushing fluid sound in back of neck by base of skull
I have a 7mm mca aneurysm and I am waiting for my second meeting with a neurosurgeon. Over the last six weeks I have had a fluid rushing sound in the back of my neck at the base of my skull. No vision changes, no headache at that time just a sound I hear that makes me nervous and lasts for between 1 and 3 seconds. I have also been getting headaches for about three weeks now and have never had headaches in my life but did recently start taking 10 mg of Lexapro. I am 26 years old and have no symptoms except for the headaches. They are sometimes extremely short and painfull and some are long and dull. Should I see someone before the 30th which is my next appt. or wait. The aneurysm was found after I had a splitting headache while at work that only lasted about 30 seconds and that was 2 days after I started the Lexapro so the aneurysm may not even be causing the symptoms. What questions should I ask this neurosurgeon that I am going to see. I was referred to him after another neurosurgeon said that coil embolization is something I should look into brfore a clipping. I would greatly appreciate any help you can give on this subject.
I have the same symptoms, rushing fluid sound at the base of my skull near my neck behind ny right ear BUT I've only experienced it twice in life....after each time  I gave birth. Usually I hear it worse when I bend over. Bp is great, usually around 115/60. I do suffer from migraines, 28 years old, 5'10", 275lb. I know this is an old post so if anyone has insights or updates, that'd be great!
The fizzing/gurgling started about a month ago. Two weeks ago the tingling in my hands and feet started and progressed up arms and legs. I just went to my doc this week and had several blood tests done. I am waiting for results. Did you experience the tingling also with the gurgling?
it sure is a little relief to no im not the only one. i've been hearing these sounds every since my bp started acting up 4 months ago. i just got put on bp medication and havent heard it since, atleast not yet!!!!
EXACTLY, i get it when im hungry and sometimes when i walk like you said every second step it's like a dam bubble releases! I am 29 i have had this crap my whole life. I recently developed anxiety and with it came static in my field of vision, especially when looking at a plain white surface, the sky, or in the dark. Like snow on a screen. Ringing in one ear from time to time, sometimes a high pitched noise then slight deafness. VERY strange! Also i have been diagnosed with mild arthritis in my spine.
I just had this happen last night for the first time.  It was like a draining feeling right at the back of the head, upper neck area.  I thought maybe it could be drainage from inner ear or sinus????
I can hear as well a sort of waterfall sound at the back of my head and feel some vibrations going down through my spine too, but rarely these sound come up by themselves, I produce them, I sense I move a kind of muscle inside my head and all these water and vibrations start to flow down and around, I have been trying to figure out where is the exact location of that "muscle" I move but so far I haven;t been able to do it, the only thing I perceived is that this "muscle" moves as well when I yawn.
im 22 years old and this has just started happening to me not to long ago i woke up about 20 min ago but mine takes forever to go away for a while i have made a appointment with the Doctor, any news i get ill give to you right away,i made a appointment after i had a really bad headache and now my veins in the right side of my temple are all Black and Huge looking,
if so many of us are experiencing this phenomenon then why hasn't it been looked into more? Maybe because so many of us are afraid of sounding crazy. The people who do mention it are not really enough to raise interest. I have the same stories as so many of you. Doctors look at you crazy. I had a 5 slice MRI to no avail.
I looked up this symptom for someone I care about who has this sound come from their neck like many of you describe. I can hear it when it happens. He describes it as a "lemon-squeazing sound." He hasn't gotten his MRI done yet, but I haver found some interesting things. There is something called Chiari Malformation. It can be genetic, or you can get it from an injury. It is where the back of the brain goes down a little too far, into where the spinal chord starts. The most common symptom is headaches, and there are many different symptoms that vary from person to person. Some people don't experience any symptoms. It can obsturct the normal flow of spinal fluid. This can cause problems with the spinal chord. Few doctors know about this disorder because it is rare. There are different types, some are fatal, but most Chiari Malformations are not fatal. There is a srugery to treat it that is usually effective. Not everyone with the disorder needs surgery. The disorder is more common in people of Celtic descent. Symptoms don't present themselves untill adulthood for many people beause that is when the brain reaches its full size. An MRI can detect it. An MRI can also detect any problems with the spinal chord that the disorder may cause. This may not be what plagues many of you, but now you have some information. There are websites on this disorder. The American Syringomyelia and Chiari alliance Project has information on its website, under the 'disorders' category. Good luck to all of you.
I have the same thing and recently my husband even heard it. At first I was wondering if I was imagining it but since the day he heard it happen I have been nervous. What is it does anyone know?
YES! Me however I have no idea what it is. I have noticed the same thing and recently my husband heard it. I was wondering if I was just imagining these strange symptoms but when he heard it I started to get nervous.
I have and normally it helps me for a few months so hopefully it is a CSF leak it really concerns me. I also have large breast so don't know if that has anything to do with it.
You are smart in your way of thinking but make sure you go to the www.spinalavminfo.com before you do anything else. I have 14 things wrong with my neck and back and a tumor on my spinal cord so I think it is spinal cord issues myself. So you would be correct about sitting at a desk, it is going to hurt all of us in the long run.
WOW!!!!!!!!! i cant believe so many people have experienced this...however to me it doesnt sound like liquid being rushed....it sounds more like sand from a sand clock timer being poored on the inside of the back of my neck...usually only lasts like 1 to 3 seconds. it sounds really weird. p.s. i dont experience any other symptoms mentioned above. tho i do have pre-hypertension.
Hi, i'm 52 yo and  I also get These noises that appear to be coming from the base of my neck, i actually describe them a little different than most, in the begining of the sound is like if you pressed your fingers across the back of your neck pressing the hair against the neck and sliding while applying pressure for about 1 to 2 secs then i hear a squishing fluid sound as if the fluid has built up enough to go past a restriction. I do get chronic migraine headaches since i can remember. I also have a Benign Tumor on the cerebellum. I hear these when i lay down, this can be at night mostly, but i do hear it while sitting.
Ok i do use a computer a lot..also one point i saw above was described was hearing things most people don't hear, that happens with me , i hear very high pitched sounds like Tv's and electronics or newly hatched birds of all things. I have told my Dr about the sound and he checked my ears..very blocked he said. so..maybe the sound i hear is because of blockage..its like covering your ears and singing or humming, you hear it better. i am going to the city for a balance test and i am going to get to the bottom of this, i will keep you posted. Cheers Madsteve1960
Cfs is cerebral spinal fluid. I also have that strange noise in the back of my neck. I'm twenty years old and i have had bad migraines since I was eight and just last year I had one bad enough to lose feeling in my left side of body and also sight. My mum told me to get an mri but i am currently without insurance. I also have fatigue as well as I can sleep for hours on end and still be tired when I wake up. I have no apetite either. I was thinking it might be a dysfunctional hypothalamus or my thyroid as thyroid problems are a symptom of a dysfunctional hypothalamus.
I also experience this 'Noise' and have done so for many years now always wondering what it was. It wasn't until today after it happened again for the first time in some time (at least a month or more since the last occurrence), whilst I was laying in bed that I decided to google it and see what it was. I do remember my stomach gurgling at thebsame time as i was very hungry at the time. I have always been curious about it and at times, not at the same time as the noise, but randomly, i get sharp pains in my head which is like an intense stabbing headache that only lasts moments before passing and its generally in my temple region, which I was always worried may have been an aneurism or something sinister and that it may be associated with the sound I hear fom time to time.
I would describe the noise i hear in the base of my skull region as similar to what most people hear, a sizzling, fizzing noise, but mine also sounds a bit like grinding metal...it's so unusual. It generally happens to me when I'm laying down in the mornings after sleeping.
Ive noticed that I'm always tired and lethargic. Get a lot of ear aches and headaches. Have recently experienced extremely high blood pressure and my pulse is VERY high which is unusual for me.
I have recently been experiencing extreme mood swings and find myself feeling very down and stressed often. Although I'm very blessed and have so much to be thankful and happy for, I find myself very emotional and empathetic and seem to take on others pain more than what i would consider as is normal. I really let others pain get me down its as though its my own, and i have never been this way until recently, but now everything is really getting me down and i think its lead to slight depression now..im Slightly over weight (recently) with high-ish cholesterol and a fatty liver but even when I was slim and healthy I had this noise occur so I'm assuming it's not weight related? I too had a car accident several years ago and experience short term memory difficulty at times, but I cannot remember whether I experienced this noise before my accident or if it only started after it..be interesting to know if it is a result of head trauma? I'm also interested to know if it has links to stroke or MS as they both have affected my family and am wondering if it's hereditary? So many unanswered questions. So anyway, I had a dr appointment today, so thought I would ask her since it was so fresh in my mind having experienced it earlier today, and much the same as all of the replies above, she had no idea and gave me a bizzare look as though I was making it up. But basically put it down to my nerves sending signals or fluid moving, she can't be sure...If someone ever does figure this one out, please let me know as it is very concerning, although its not painful, it's just the fear of the unknown I guess, and the fact it's happening to so many people makes me wonder if maybe its just normal? Or that no one has bothered to look into it and it could be a symptom of something, that if detect might be beneficial in the long run!
I forgot to mention I'm a 29 year old female.
ive had this experience since i was 16 and now im 24. i never told anyone this because it was something to traumatic for me. symptoms are when i get hungry this sensation occurs and the rushing is very intense, but there is no pain except the hunger in my stomach, i also believe that certain sounds or frequencies may also trigger it as ive experienced it from certain insects i have come across, more specifically spiders in San Diego that make giant webs  from trees to the sidewalk.VERY ******* TERRIFYING TO WALK INTO................         THEY PRODUCE A FREQUENCY  THAT SEEMS TO MAKE THE BACK SENSATION SITE GO OFF AND FEEL MORE LIKE A VIBRATION. I have done basic research and have begun telling people or even asking people whos around and near if they could hear it. It sounds so loud  that i was always sure people could hear it  .......NOPE!!!!!!!!!!!......   side not i have begun taking zinc  and fish oil.... first days i woke up to the sound of a powerful rush very intense.    

i do smoke weed and seems to be why i may not feel the pain and headaches most of u feel
i do or did get muscle aches and arm numbness when i wake up in the morning my arms would be numb and couldnt move them , i began working out and that helps alot with all the above as no numbness and my muscles will not ache and it feels good
i do have a very strong recall memory as i can remember where people leave things or where i last saw something
i dream heavily and realisticly my dreams are so detailed
my ability to do research is blooming peak have begun teaching myself biology, chemistry, nueroscience and everything about stem cells and cell tissue culturing , biological/gene engineering manipulation....... what ever this i have is taking from my smoking time.

I am sick of this and I don't want to have this problem anymore, so I finally got online and found this place!

I am 30, I have noticed this for about 9 years. I HEAR the POP ROCKS sound AND I CAN FEEL IT MOVING and I told my doctor about it a long time ago and she looked at me like I was from another planet! UGH!

I get it when I am severely hungry, or when I am THINKING about something stressful.

Duration lasts a few seconds, and it won't go away until I eat, OR simply if I stop thinking about whatever is stressing me out it will stop also.

I enjoy reading the comments about VIBRATIONS and FREQUENCIES, because YES if you are IN TUNE with your body you will notice other situations like:

I HEAR AND FEEL THIS CONSTANTLY when partially submerged in a JACUZZI also!!!

I HAVE NO IDEA what TYPE of doctor I should consult about this? I appreciate any help I can get here, and I hope I have helped people too.

I WONDER also if maybe this is something we ate, drank, in the air, maybe a virus, maybe HAARP, maybe HERTZ? :( Chem trails?

I don't know where to start either, I have been in a few bad car accidents, a lot of past history of trauma to my body, my aunt has FIBROMYALGIA.

I AM CONSTANTLY TIRED for a long time, seems to be getting worse and worse I believe MAYBE this could all be BIO PSYCHO SOCIAL interconnected also.  

:(

So WHAT kind of DOCTOR should I see first and WHAT should they start first with testing?
Accident background: age 17 I had a c6 and c7 fracture in my neck.

I have been sitting at computers for the last 12 years.

Another accident just "beat me up" in general age 23.

I don't use drugs, don't take meds, don't work out. I am not fat but have a few inches on my stomach the rest of my body is perfect.

But now that I am sitting here thinking about HOW USED TO THIS I have been for years, I forgot to mention I hear and feel this RANDOMLY also, all day and night!
Hello! My name is Kenneth and i am currently going through these same symptoms and they happen while i am sitting up straight and standing. Thanks for the posts! Now i know which direction to head with this.
I have been hearing the liquid squirting sound at the top of my neck/base of skull for around 15 years (I am 45). Prior to that I would occaisionally get a sharp pain when I moved my head too fast to the side and it would be followed by weakness and pain and a feeling of fluid draining down out of my skull. That doesnt happen anymore, but I hear the fluid squirt sound somtimes, usually when I lie down for bed. I have been petrified that it is the onset of MS because my mother was diagnosed with secondary MS at around age 50. She was bedridden within 10 years afterwards. I am glad to see other people have this because I had so idea how to even explain it to anyone until now, and thinking it may have all been in my head :)? So, it is good to know I am not crazy, and I hope it turns out to be nothing. Not planning on going to the doctor now, but I wonder if it is related to exhaustion and joint pain.
I'm shocked that so many people have the same symptoms as I. I'm 41 years old, male, also have allot of stress. I was recently discharged from Army (of course I have stress). It definitely seems like stress plays a role in the symptoms, I know some of you guys say it's accompanied with hunger, but guess what? Hunger is a type of stress also. When I hear this "swishing" sound it sounds and feels more like a huge waterfall just bring dumped behind my ears, and yes, only for a few seconds. I was a medic for 8 years in the Army and I have a theory...I here people claim that it's CSF. I'm starting to think it's true BUT it could also be something called a fluid shift from dehydration. Those of you in the medical field - that's why we do TILTS for checking your BP. anyways...I noticed something else, the duration of this fluid rushing is usually less than 5 seconds. It would make sense that it's CSF because cisterns hold this fluid at the base of the brain (where everyone feels it) Do you all think it's possible that the reason it last 3 seconds is because of the small cisterns only allow so much fluid at once? Just a thought. Also has anyone else felt their own pulse when this takes place? I mean literally when it happens, I can feel and hear my pulse in my head when the swishing occurs. PLease respond back if possible.
Sounds like you have a good chance of having sleep apnea.  Never heard of this sound related to sleep apnea, and probably isn't but every thing else you describe points to sleep apnea.  This can cause many other health issues if left untreated.  You should talk with your Dr. about getting evaluated and tested.
I had this just now. I drank too much last night. I have had this intermittently in the past, way way back. There was nothing then to suggest a problem. I have though been having mental problems the last year. Perhaps the indication is a warning but nothing necessarily too bad? I was lying on my back in a terrible posture, with my head leaned uncomfortable against a chair's back. This should probably be familiar to all doctors, judging by the large number of people here reporting it.

If it's an isolated occurrence, i don't think there should be much worry. But concomitant with other symptoms it's sure a strange thing to take into account.

I used have a strange kind of popping in my left ear since I can remember, but only happening sometimes. Like a few times a year, or every few years. It's probably just some strange muscular contraction that happens sometimes, just like too much caffeine can make your muscles twitch and stuff like that.

Don't worry too much if you are otherwise fine, but get it checked if it worries you.

I heard it now for the first time in years, while I was having terrible terrible posture. When younger I figured it was some crackling of bones and didn't bother to think about it. Leaning my neck on a piece of wood basically, lying on the carpet while playing some games brought it out now ;) Like an involuntary experiment, I confirm that abuse of the neck can bring about this sound. It'll probably become quite obvious if one bothers to look up the structure of the spinal duct and use simple logic.
Saar, did you ever find out what this is? Your description describes my symptoms exactly! Everyone I've ever spoken to about this has treated me as though I'm crazy. Please let me know if you've had any success with a diagnosis. Thank you!
In reply to your comment. Funny you asked that question.. i got checked for it.. And i have H. Pylori.. but dont know if thats a common sympton for it?
I also have Rosacea..Im 34..no other problems with health.
Except that and random chest pains. .did almost every test on earth.. and Docs still dont know whats wrong with me. I drink a beer and pain goes away. Have you heard of any links between H Pylori and flushing sound in neck?

I do play on the pc alot I think you may be right that it may have somthing to do with it. I have the exact same thing yet the doc thinks I'm crazy but it did start a few years ago (I am a big gamer)
I have this as well my Dr didn't laugh like some of yours did but she had no idea what it could be, I too am going to see a  and a spinal specialist??? I'm very sorry for all of you going through this it's no fun! I too get headaches, unimaginable pain every where constantly, fatigue, sick....the list goes on
im 20 and i have same problem.. i dont know what i must be happy or scared .. coz many people have same complaint , im scared but i dont know what happen with my brain .. sometimes hear fluid squirting noises at the base of my skull..and besides it is now the back of my head is very sore even when I write this coment.

but I tried to wiggle my head when it happened ..it work less pain on my head..

if you have same experience.. and want to discuss about it
email : kyaku_kyaku***@****
Same with me! I am 21 and otherwise healthy, but I've been experiencing this for a while. It has never hurt or affected me in any way other than sort of freaking me out. It does make me nervous that a friend with MS experienced this because I have a history of MS in my family…maybe I should actually go get this checked out?
Isn't this a bacteria infection with the symptoms being stomach related? I've seen nothing to suggest fluid issues in the neck caused by it??
what type of malipuliations do you do? Where can somone learn them?
Same neck sound here in Brazil. No headaches or illness. Male 31 years, high blood pressure, stress, procrastinator, sleep a lot, adhd.
Hi! I am 22 years old and i have had the exact same thing happen to me, most of the times in the morning when I wake up but it doesnt hurt. I would really appreciate it if you could tell me what it is that you found out happened to you. Is it better? Do you still have it? I would really appreciate your help thank you.
I last posted in March 2010 when I was a overweight and a non-smoker.  About a month after that post, I started smoking again, lost weight and all my head squishing and related stomach growling went away.  About 4 months ago, I stopped smoking again, put the weight back on, and it's all come back again.

I suspect the issue is related to my weight rather than my smoking or any specific medical issue.  My next goal is to lose weight (without restarting the smoking) and see what happens.  I'll report back.

But I must ask, how many of you would describe yourselves as overweight?
That is so wild! I found people that have had that same fluid sound and it feels like a flutter or bubbling. I t only lasts a few seconds and goes away as fast as it comes. I haven't experienced that for a long,long time. I do get cluster headaches, have fibromyalgia  and i use Prozac.
I'm also on the computer, constantly, as a programmer. I work from home and usually layback on a couch or bed while I work on my laptop for hours. My brothers a massage therapist and told me I'm building up tissue on my back and bad posture. He mentioned that I should get craniosacral massage therapy done but he doesn't know if that help. I've had this crackling, draining sound at the base of my scull for years but it doesnt hurt, doesnt cause headaches or cause any other problems that Ive experienced. I do have anxiety but I've had that before I started experiencing these sounds. I read somewhere else that some has had this since he was 18 and he's now 40 so while it sounds like it can be uncomfortable for some people here you dont here of anyone dying from it or it turning out to be a big medical problem so for those of you that have anxiety try to put this one worry behind you and check back once in a while to stay in the loop :)
It happens to me and I think it's a normal healthy thing.   Many older people suffer from hydrocephalus, fluid pressure buildup on the brain.   Sometimes this condition is address by installing a drain (shunt) to drain the fluid down to the abdominal cavity.  My hunch is that the impact from walking barefoot helps facilitate normal drainage.
Io ho tutti i sintomi che ho letto in questa comunità , ma i miei dolori sono molto forti e sto male dal 2000. Nessun dottore mi sa dire di cosa si tratta, voi avete ricevuto qualche diagnosi? Vorrei sapere, grazie.
I am a 22 year-old female.  I started experiencing this draining sound at the base of my skull one year ago. It really freaked me out.  I asked my chiropractor and he said he'd be more worried if I couldn't hear it. It is the cerebral fluid draining from your brain into your spinal column.  He said it must drain or too much pressure will build up.  He reassured me it was ok.
How is your condition right now?
Do you still get these squesshing noises?
How is your condition now?
Do you still hear this rushing sound?
I had a tooth extraction turns out some of the pain was the neighboring tooth. I could feel it when it started squirting. But now I can see how the sound can seem like it's coming from the head. Sugar makes it worse. Diet is very important. I am considering getting this fixed by a dentist that removes infection. I wouldn't trust some dentists who are dabbling in this because reinfection is so easy. I would consider a dentist that follows a protocol like Al or Hal Huggins or Hulda Clark. I'm leaning toward Huggins. I think once the infection is removed, etc then the noise will stop and other parts of my body will be able to take care of themselves, like sore neck, back, etc. Just my feelings , observations and personal experience. Not sure if I'm right because I haven't gone to the right dentist yet. The infected tooth making squirting sounds does not show up on exrays as infected and the dentist looks at me funny. Not sure I'm comfortable with him anymore. He's the one that extracted the neighboring  tooth recently. Please do your own research and thought on your personal case. This is only my personal experience.
I think I know what you're describing. The fact that I have heard this water-like or blood-like squirt running up from the back of your neck to your back of your skull. I feel like it is the best feeling for me (at least for a second to 4 seconds max). I feel like I'm relieved from my stress. I don't feel physical pain. I am afraid to ask my doctor about it as it may sound ridiculous. I have anxiety disorder, whenever that squirt of fluid go, I feel no worries. This doesn't happen a lot, I would say I get it random time such as once it goes, the next one could be a month later and then two weeks after that and so on. Usually happens when I lay down or lay either sides (left or right) or on my belly with my arms supporting my top body. All in all, it's the greatest feeling and no pain for me.
Omg I thought I was the only one! Thank goodness for the Internet! I thought It was something crazy serious like if I was dying fast everytime I heard the damn noise( I only heard the noise whenever I was hungry or at night when I couldn't sleep and was really quiet). But good thing it's completely normal I'm so relieved.
I'Ve been getting this same sound since I was a teenager and I'm 41 years old now. I tried to describe it as a child but couldn't. I had an MRI done about three years ago and they've found nothing.