Neurology Community
Sacral Steroid Injection for Back Pain

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Sacral Steroid Injection for Back Pain

Five months ago I was given a sacral steroid injection for chronic low back pain.  This was done in a clinic without an x-ray.  The following day I felt a pain that was completely different than my usual sciatica and muscle spasms and much sharper although still in my right lower back that left me unable to sit for a week.  About a month later I was struck with the most horrifying pain I have ever experienced and was unable to sit, stand or lay down without being in excrutiating pain plus my right thigh went numb on the surface with a pain that felt like I had road rash.  I could only find minimal comfort by laying on my left side.  I ended up at the emergency room where they gave me a shot of Demorol which did eventually ease the pain enough that I was no longer crying in misery but the pain still lasted another 3 weeks during which time I was constantly taking Percocet and Naprosyn.  I ended up seeing a chiropractor that adjusted me enough so that I could take care of myself again.  I still have pain in the sacrum which is a dull pain that is more apparent after sitting and my right thigh is still numb with shooting pains that feel like I'm being shocked.  What could have possibly gone wrong and what possible treatment might I seek for this problem?  My regular MD sent me to a Neurologist but she only gave a general opinion, mostly about my existing herniated disc problems which are in the L5 and S1 area, however she did say that my pelvic bone was out of place which is what evenutally led me to think a chiropractor could help.  She did not offer any information or advice as to what else I can do about the pain.  I am scared that I am permanently damaged since now it has been 5 months.