Neurology Community
Severe Disabling Muscle Cramps

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Severe Disabling Muscle Cramps

My 90 year old mother has a very sharp mind and works hard to keep going normally always.  The problem is that is the last few years she has been getting severe muscle cramps.  They are in different areas of her body.  It started with cramps in the calves, then in time extented to thighs and/or groin.  The groin ones are particularly painful. She forces herself to walk them off but honestly sometimes she has trouble just standing.  Now she's starting getting them in her hands and feet.  They twist her feet and hands into distortions.  She has HTN, Peripheral vascular disease, bradycardia with a pacer(new replacement), high cholesterol, CHF, chronic leukemia and she could stand to loose 30 lbs.  Sounds like a long list of serious conditions but I'm a retired nurse and worked over 30 years in long term care.  I've seen lots of female elderly with problems of leg cramps, but nothing like what she experiences.  She can't sit very long in any type of chair or she'll get leg/thigh/groin cramps.  She can't stand to long because she gets them in her feet!  She sets her hair with curlers and gets them in her hands!  She live alone yet, pays her own bills by check book and balances it.  None of us as her children have been able to help her find out what could be causing this GROWING problem.  It's affecting her quality of life in that she avoids going places where she thinks the sit for the car ride or sit at the activity could cause the cramps to start.  She breaks out in a sweat, and cries at times because of the severity of the pain.  I've asked the Dr. to check her mag and calcium, he says they're ok but there have been a number of times in the past when I told him she was having a problem and he didn't listen to me and she developed 2nd problems because she went undiagnosed by him.  He's an Internest and I've worked with him professionally and he's always been great with the elderly.  But something is being missed.  We'd like to take a short trip with my Mother (us children) about a 24 hour drive to have a small family reunion but she's saying she doesn't think she should go because of the cramping problem.  I can't say I blame her, but we all love her so and she has always been such a dear sweet lady that more importantly we hate to see her suffer and give up on getting together with her family.  That's always been #1 on her list.  Can you think of any types of special tests to do that might pinpoint a causitive factor?  She also has dizziness easily, and can be very unsteady on her feet.  We always blamed these on her history of scarletfever at the age of 7 which broke both ear drums.  That were rebuilt when she was 48 with skin graphs.  She graduated from highschool even though she was deaf!  She's an amazing women.  Please help us.   last one