Neurology Community
Shingles and Leg Pain

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Shingles and Leg Pain

I was recently diagnosed with shingles.  The rash showed up about 3 days ago (2 days after pain started).  I'm taking Valtrax now to get rid of the rash,  but my leg pain is worse.  Pain starts in my left buttocks (deep in the tissue) and radiates down toward my knee.  It surges on and off.  The pain is moderate.    I'm taking alieve and ibuprofin to help with the pain, and it is effective to a point, but not completely and doesn't last very long.

How long should I expect this pain to keep going?  Im 23 years old and I read that chances of postherpetic neuralgia is slim to none in people my age.

I'm active, and am physically in good shape.

thanks.
Tags: shingles, Pain
Hello Dear,

The pain in the legs and the buttocks is due to the involvement of the lower segment of the dermatome. The interneuron networks, for the lower legs may underlie the development of neuralgia. Post herpetic neuralgia, usually is confined to the area of original dermatomal involvement, can persist for weeks, months, or years and often is severe.
The pain observed more frequently after cases of herpes zoster ophthalmicus and in instances of upper body dermatomal involvement.

Best.
Take care