Shingles and postherpetic neuralgia
My grandmother developed shingles (herpes zoster) about 8 years ago. It was difficult for her but it went away. However, she developed postherpetic neuralgia and has had it to this very day. She had a occurrence of shingles about one year ago. She lives with excruciating pain everyday, plus her blood isn't that great (she has Chronic lymphocytic leukemia). I was wondering if there is anyone out there who could help my grandmother.
Ask the doctor to prescribe Neurontin (Gabapentin).  I'm taking very low dose myself for this post Shingles nerve pain.  Check out my own post with a similar question.  http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Neurology/Post-Shingles-outbreak/show/1688070#post_7711460

The low dose I'm using should be safe even for someone of advanced age, but your grandmother's doctor would know for sure.  I'm at only 200 mg right now.  Neurontin (Gabapentin) is only dangerous at really high doses.  The lowest dose is 100 mg.  I started at that, but the neurologist said that it just isn't normally effective until 200 mg.  

You shouldn't have to see a neurologist to get this medication.  But, you might consider getting a referral if this is a long term issue for your grandmother.  I was already seeing my neurologist for a different issue.  So, since this is a nerve pain issue, I spoke to him about what to do for this type of pain.  He is the one who told me that 100 mg just isn't sufficient and that 200 mg is the lowest amount for Gabapentin to be effective.