Neurology Community
Shingles corrolation to Sciatica

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Shingles corrolation to Sciatica

Is there anyway that my Shingles could be caused by the pinched nerve in my L4-L5 vertabrae?

Shingles (herpes zoster) is a viral disease characterised by a painful skin rash with blisters in a limited area on one side of the body. This nis caused by the virus varicella zoster, the virus responsible for causing chicken pox. This virus remains dormant in the body after the person has had an attack of chicken pox. However, in periods of extreme stress or immunocompromized patients, the virus gets reactivated and can cause shingles. The rash of shingles and the pain associated with it is seen in the area which the infected nerve with the virus supplies. Which area of your body is affected by shingles? The pinched nerve in the L4 - L5 vertebrae is certainly not causing shingles. Shingles affects the nerves and then causes symptoms associated with it.

Best
funny you should comment on the sciatica

i had a terrible few days of sciatica and then a week later shingles came on - i think its something to do with the nerves  and the stress of the pain that can bring it out ! ive had a slipped disc and had an  operation 3 years ago to shave away the disc that was pressing on the nerve
3 yrs later i get terrible sciatica - some shooting pains and then shingles a week later - the rash went from my back to my stomach - still have it - quite painfl - im at work and i shouldnt have botherd - im so tired
I initially was diagnosed with sciatica then a week later I experienced the shingles rash. I was quickly treated with an anti-viral medication and the rash slowly disappeared, however; the pain remains. Now, I am not sure if the remaining pain is attributed to my original diagnosis of sciatica or is just remnants of the shingles virus. Being that both conditions come with long term recovery. I am a month and a half into this nightmare and trying to decide if I should go have an MRI done to check my back or continue with the assumption that it is still the shingles wreaking havoc on my nerves. Regardless, I am tired of living in pain and desperate to find a solution.
Any updates on condition? Did you decide to have an MRI done?