Neurology Community
Shoulder/Arm tics

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Shoulder/Arm tics

Since around November time last year, about 6 months ago, I've been experiencing tics and uncomfortable stiffness in my left shoulder and both of my thumbs. At the beginning, my thumbs were a lot worse, they would be subconsciously having tics constantly which caused pain and discomfort for me, preventing me from writing. After a couple months, my shoulder gradually got caught in the process and now the tics are more noticeable in the shoulder than my thumbs. I went to see a doctor, who concluded that it was hyper-mobility in my left shoulder and I would have to have physiotherapy to make my shoulder less stable. I wasn't fully comfortable with this at first, as surely hyper mobility in my left shoulder wouldn't cause tics in both my thumbs, plus, tics aren't a symptom of hyper mobility, so fair enough I wasn't entirely sure about it, but I went along with it anyway. That was 5 weeks ago, and surely enough, the physiotherapy hasn't helped my shoulder or thumbs at all, so you can understand my slight frustration. I've done a bit of research online, and I know people say that you shouldn't because it isn't accurate and can make you paranoid, but several sites say that hyper mobility can be the cause of a condition along the lines of tourettes. Now although I do have tics, I don't make involuntary noises, but around a year ago I did have to go to the doctors due to breathing changes, I found myself pushing air quickly when I exhaled, causing a sort of wheezing noise, and now I'm wondering if they're related and I do have something like tourettes. Am I just being paranoid? I'm not trying to self diagnose myself, it's just that I've had this problem for half a year now with no answers and I'm getting slightly tired, I'm coming up to exam periods now where I am constantly going to be ticking and moving in my exam, which is distracting for me and other people, so should I maybe suggest the idea to my doctor or would I sound stupid? Thanks for reading, I hope someone has any suggestions as to what I should do. :)
Hi!
I am sorry to hear about your medical problems. If you have unpleasant sensory sensations relieved by a movement and if this process is repetitive in nature then yes, you do have tics. This may occur without a cause at times, or may just be because of a wrong posture or strain to a particular body part due to a particular type of job. These are called muscle twitches. They can also occur due to electrolyte imbalance, anxiety or stress. However, if you have a strong prodrome or you can preempt that you are going to have that sensory sensation, then yes, you could be suffering from Tourette syndrome. The other possibility is tic disorder. This can be a transient or a chronic tic disorder. A diagnosis is made by ruling out conditions such as anxiety and panic disorder, obsessive-compulsive disorder, myoclonus, focal epilepsy or focal dystonia. Tic disorders and Tourette syndrome may or may not be accompanied by noises such as grunting etc.  This is because tics can be predominantly motor with no appreciable vocal component. The reverse is also true—you can have a predominantly vocal tic. Like twitches, tics are also aggravated by anxiety and stress. The factors which aggravate tics are heat, cold, tension, anger and fear. The diagnosis of tics and the type of tic is difficult and time taking. Most tics are harmless. Keeping yourself busy and learning to ignore them often cures tics. However, some cases would require treatment. Please discuss with your doctor. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.