Neurology Community
Skin very sensitive to the touch

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Viewing 201-255 comments:
I too have just started having a stange pain on my right inner thigh of my leg. There is a thin strip of skin maybe 2 inches wide that has become sensitive to the touch. It feels like sunburn. I can see no rash of any kind. When warm water is on it it is soothing but if I touch it or the seam of my pants brushes against it it burns like sunburn. When nothing rubs against it there is no pain at all. It has been like this for about a week now. Anyone know what the heck this is?
I have had this off and on for 30 years.  I don't think it's "just" anxiety or stress.  I am leaning towards the herpes connection, but have had no connection with other people being sick while I have these patches of painful skin.  I think this deserves more study.  Thanks, but I'm not going to quit looking for answers.
Betsey
Betsey
Betsey
I am bi-polar also, along with my skin thing.  Bi-polar is the big struggle of my life.  I take both the meds you mentioned and they are very helpful.  Those meds are used for other conditions besides bi-polar.  There are bi-polar/schcizophrenia websites that you might find pretty interesting also.  I'm glad you have a support group around you.  I'll be thinking of you.
BetseyP
hey, i had shingles two years ago and i had a scabby, ***** areas of a rash on my lower back and legs and some on my chest, if it were shingles you would see a rash and it can be treated with antibiotics or cream. hope this helps xx
I think it does indeed have something to do with the herpes, as the virus is at home around nerves, affecting your neurosensitivity. I have the same problem and I know when I have that weird-butterflies-not-in my-stomach-but-under-my-skin feeling that an outbreak is about to happen :(
You need to look up RSD Reflex Sypathetic Dystrophy, or its also know as CRPS, People go undiagnosed for SO long. See if your symptoms match, call a neurologist and go to a pain clinic! ASAP. I have a 14 year old son whos suffers from this.
beginning yesterday, the back of my left arm from the elbow up to just below my underarm became extremely sensitive to the touch. it felt nice to just hold my cold hand over the area, but just as soon as i would rub my arm, a sharp stingy-burny (horrible phrasing, i know, but i don't know how else to describe it..) sensation would occur. this took me by surprise because my arm wasn't hurting at all until i woke from a late evening nap. is this normal?

i am a teen suffering from this "Allodynia," or so i believe. i've done some research on this and the symptoms fit perfectly. while reading through these comments, i noticed that a lot of the people suffering from this are older than 20-30ish. is it strange that a young adult suffers from this as well?
I just read on another chat  the problem might be caused by animbalance of calcium. Too much ingested and not being absorbed properly in muscles. they discovered a strong vitaminC drink helped right away. The acidity helps to absorb the calcium. Some women in menopause might suffer forom the "burning "skin as the calcium magnesium balance is upset.  I am in that group but had this along time ago too. I also agree it is connected to stress and chicken pox (herpes virus)  I went to a doctor and walked away feeling stupid but with quite irritated painful skin on only one side of my body. I suffered the last month so gave the vitamin C a try.... gone! maybe lucky coincidence but anything is worth a try to rid yourself of pain. Fingers crossed Best wishes that we solve it  simply and stop worrying about serious diseases..
Your symptons rival mine...........I nave had sore spots on my scalp from time to time throughout my life but in the past couple of weeks I had a cold sore on my bottom lip it then seem to progress to my saliva gland and then to my right nostril then the sensitivity started from my nose to my cheek and up to my temple........I still seem to have a cold sore high in my right nostril but the sensitivity is bothersome and I wish it would leave........I can't correlate any reason why this happens other that the cold sores.........
I am questioning that your doctor suggested a shingles shot since you just had shingles. I had the understanding that if you have had shingles the shot would not prevent another attack.
I am a 49 yr male that has had a compression fracture of L1 and surgery to remove a herniation of my L5, I have osteopenia and the doctors don't know why, and I am always vitamin D deficient no matter how much i am taking. And 7 months ago I started getting this sunburn feeling on the upper part of my back it is now moving into my arms, rib cage, upper chest, and left hip.
The pain that is in my back is all the time and the other areas it seems to rotate around. One rheumatologist said my blood work came back positive for lupus but didn't think that was it and I saw another rheumatologist today and he doesn't think I have lupus or fibro. Still searching I am glad I am not just imaging this.
I forgot my joints ache when I get chilled or cold.
My 8 year old has been complaining of a painful arm and shoulder since last Friday. It happened out of the blue while helping make dinner. She was in obvious pain to the touch. She has not had the chicken pox or herpes simplex, however, she has been ill lately. Slight fever - perhaps a virus with congestion. I took her to the doctor and he said it was not broken or fractured and suggested she may have just pulled a tendon or muscle. That was all he had to offer. She says her arm feels better but now it is in her shoulder and around her shoulder blade. This is a tough girl who doesn't complain about much so I am concerned. I can very gently run my finger across her skin and she is in apparent pain. Any advice to what I can take back to the doctor and insist she get tested for? I read Allodynia and fibromyalgia possibilities. I'm not familiar with either and neither run in my family or her father's to my knowledge.
Excellent source of info.  I get these sensitive skin patches every few months.  I started experiencing this just over a year ago.
I've so far not been able to attribute it to anything obvious, and I've been very observant.  It seems random.
The pain is noticeable, burns and feels tender like a good bruise when I touch it.  Pinching it generates very high pain.  The pain also moves around.  Yesterday it was on the outside of my right wrist.  That pain is gone today. This morning the pain started at my left ankle, and throughout the day has moved/spread midway up my Tibia. It will be gone tomorrow, this never lasts more than a few days max.  I often get it between my thighs, lumbar sides and extremities.

My thoughts are that this is probably related to the central nervous system. Perhaps some form of subtle injury.

About me :
Male, 31
6'1" 180lbs, athletic, healthy, non-smoker.  Excellent blood work.
Latest BP is 108/74
No known allergies
No known spinal or head injuries
No herpes, never had shingles
I do however suffer from Restless Leg Syndrome at night since early childhood.
Sandy, my name is Clara White. My symptoms are just like you, and I have had this since, 2006, when I was hurt in my left upper arm, and now it is in all over my body. I know you suffer badly. I have RSD it's, Reflx Sympathetic Dyystrophy. I got this from a damaged nerve that was not taken care of in the proper time range.I have tried so many  injection, I have tried hyperbarbic chamber's many times and it just comes back. I see a pain clinic every month, but I still have pain all the time. I wish you the best in the future. I will pray for you too. ***@****
I'm 51 and started having sensitive to the touch skin on my right rib cage and back and it hurt so much i could barely bend over to put my shoes on.  very painful for days.  i was so concerned i thought to look up some info and read what people are saying about it and i read it could be Shingles or Stress.  I kept an eye on the skin to see if any breakout or rash was occuring, but nothing.  i read B12 would probably be good and exercise to relieve stress.  i started up the B12 and going to the gym - the pain has lifted and it's slightly hurts now.  I felt so awful and was so worried.  Now it's better.  Just a little discomfort now.  i felt this a few months back, but not as bad as this time.  I have been under a lot of stress so I would blame it on stress.  I hope this helps others out there with this symptom.
This sounds similiar to my symptoms.  I am hoping this can help me.  Thank you for posting!
I am a 31 year old mother of 3 & I have had this same horrible pain, but it's ALL of my body, except my face, hands, & feet.  The doctors can't figure out what 's wrong with me, but have put me on Gabapentin, which helps.  But instead of just treating the symptom, I need a diagnosis.  It's unbearable some days.  
I have only been experiencing this for about 2 weeks now. The first was a small patch that turned into a strip along my uppermost inner thigh..I had been out watering the garden and the hose dripped and soaked my heavy sweat shorts..I kept working outside and got good and sweaty and dirty so I thought I got a little heat/rub rash.  Only no visible redness or anything really I could see. But dang it was irritating--like I had a cactus rubbing me.  I applied a diaper rash ointment and INSTANT relief.  It traveled and got a little longer the next day and then poof gone.
Now, yesterday  I got a 'ring' running around my upper foot (wear my Keds were touching the skin...I applied shea butter lotion (St Ives)..it really helped......it's much less now in that area but has now gone straight up my shin..like a dang piece of two inch wide tape....ugh ugh ugh.  Shea butter on that now and it too feels better.  
Ice/cold was highly irritating ..warmth feels better.  I put on some of those thick cushy socks and with the shea butter it has improved 70-75%.
I hate the thought that this may be something I am going to have to learn to live/deal with.
I doubt highly that my doc would know--anytime I have had a mystery whatever she's like ..whatever.  Gonna visit my chiro and see if an adjustment helps. Get my nerves back in their spots!!  
Good luck everyone...
I haven't posted in a while.  I'm 65, woman, in generally good health & have had this condition for maybe 40 years.  I wanted to throw in that OFTEN the patches appear over a place with some mild trauma, like GloryDazed has described.  Not always but sometimes.  I treat these from the inside with ibuprohen (sp.) or tylenol.  I don't care for rubbing on the areas, so I haven't done a lot of ointments and such.  Like most of the posters this condition comes and goes, a month on, and several months off.  I feel for those who have pain all over.  All of my interactions with Dr's resulted in the same thing, if they can't name it or treat it, they aren't interested.  

BetseyP
A person after my heart ! You are the first that I have read about in hear that says exactly what I have been recommending people to do all along.
Thank You for not letting me seem that I am all alone in this fight on taking a different path , rather that the medical path they offer!

Kindess Regards Threewheelmobile
That's me!  I have it right now on the back top of my right leg.  I don't know whether its attributed to sitting too long yesterday at work or not but I felt it coming on at the end of the day.  It's not painful but its irritating.  I always take ibuprofen or tylenol for it which seems to help.  It'll be gone in a day or two as usual.  I'm sitting on a heating pad as I type.  :-)
For all these skin sensitivities  use Topricin cream. It a homeopathic cream that took away my sensitivity 2 days ago. You can buy it at Whole Foods or directly through their website. It works on many soft tissue issues.
Also, when we have these regions of sensitivity we need to look at how the organ and energetic systems are working. Do this by consulting a Naturopathic Physician, an acupuncturist, and an energy worker. Donna Eden is world renowned energy medicine healer. Innersource.net is that website.
You can start learning about how the body and it's function or disease is related to how the energy pathways are flowing. Are there blockages? Stagnation? These disruptions in flow originate in the spiritual, psychological, emotional, psychic, or just the physical. Most physical symptoms originate in the energy field first. Start learning about the energy meridians.
    My energies often get stagnant in the liver meridien. This is very common for women.Fibromyalgia has it's origin usually from trauma and immune activation.  Somatic Experience, Peter Levine, can release stored trauma from the body with release of symptoms
    Please consider all that I've written of as it is the way to true healing. Don't stop with western perspective. Dig deeper. The body is disigned to heal. You are designed to heal.  
     My warmest wishes to all.
Iam 40 yr old mom WAS picture of health, ran 4 marathons etc. until 3 months ago- had walking pneumonia spiraled into viral inner ear infection and after being on antibiotics, steroids etc. I am now dealing with a new normal! every day I endure achiness in my arms and body like the flu yet have no fever, restless legs at nght, weakness when I am walking to the point that I can not sustain a slow jog for fear of falling.  My blood work is pristine, and I know my Drs all think I am "anxious" or "depressed" but this is for real! Anyone have any clue what's going on here or what I could possibly do to heal? Currently all I do is pop Alleve and take hot baths!
I am a 32 year old woman with a 10 month old baby!! For 2 days my whole mid section of my stomach and around to my back is so senstitve to touch!!! I am making myself so sick worrying about this!!! No rashes, marks or anything!!!
I have this "burn" sensation on my skin under my left breast on the rib cage. It started about two months ago and the pain is nearly unbearable. I had the doctor check it out and she put me on a neurological medication called Gabapintin. So far no change and I can hardly stand wearing my bra but the pain is pretty bad with or without the bra. The doctor believes that this may be a symptom of Shingles but that I didn't develop the rash or soars. She put me on the medication because it seems like nerve damage which is what shingles does to us. I will post again in a couple of weeks and update if this medication helps me.
Hi guys stumbled here looking for an answer, saw an earlia post about ms and I'm currently under going tests for this, so it kind of adds up, I've got skin sensitivity on my inner thigh left leg, but see what happens apon results but it's all tying in as ms with my other symptoms :-) finally getting answers
Thank you for sharing. I have the same sunburnt feeling except for its on my right thigh and my left arm and it only effects the top layer. in addition I have numbness and tingling in my back and sometimes hands and feet and my eyes hurt really bad sometimes and its not my eye sight. i've been seen a neurologist for about three months now and am currently awaiting results from some blood tests. I have already had two MRIs and he just ordered another one, he is trying to rule out MS.
I have had these same symptoms for a couple of days. Started around hip and upper buttocks area. Then around to my stomach. No redness. No bumps. Nothing I can see. Just very sensitive skin that almost feels like a sunburn and my clothes irritate it worse. Did you ever get a diagnosis?
Just a suggestion......you should probably start a new post since this one is so long and outdated.  

Sounds like you could be dealing with Meralgia Paresthetica, which is entrapment and compression of the peripheral nerve originating at L4/L5 and coarsing through the hip area.
thank you for sharing your story. I am having very similiar sensitive skin that seems to move around my body... and is super painful to have clothes on, which is unfortunate as I must wear clothing!! lol
how are you since your post? I have not seen a Dr yet. I've had these symptoms for 2 weeks now. It seems there are a lot of possibilities.
I went to the Dr today, he gave me a B12 shot and said to get some good rest,I have had this sunburn sensation for the first time and hopefully the last time , it started Friday night and has just gotten worse. Cloths hurt, touch hurt's... a shower hurt. And yes I do have a new cold sore..intresting.
I have just read 2 mo. worth of everyones "Sensitive Sunburned Skin" felling.  Don't know if anyone else has noticed that everyone seems to hurt on the LEFT side.  I have had this sensation.... over and over on my LEFT side in the same areas. Left thigh runs up to the groing area to the backside of left buttocks area. Sometimes down to my inner left calf.  Cold is excruciating pain for me.  To the touch of anything cold or when I get goose pumps.. Yes I have Herpes.  I'm truly believing that this has a strong connection to mine and everyone elses sencitivity to the skin..I am going to go to my Dr. and mention Allodynia and Reflex Sypathetic Dystrophy. Both mentioned above.  I will also do my own reserch on these just to bone up before i go to the Dr.  My symptoms can last as long as 2 weeks.  Looking desperatly to a cure.  Good Luck everyone.  Will post any news as it comes.  
Did you ever find out the cause behind this? And did you find a way to stop it? I've been experiencing it off and on for probably 10 years... I am now 23. I have an appointment with a neurologist next week because it has gotten worse and more frequently occurring lately. In the mean time I was wondering what you had found out about yours since it sounds like we're experiencing the exact same thing! Thanks!
Hmm, I agree with Sunshine (above)...are there any conclusions? I have skin sensitivity as well. It's not horrible, but still limiting...
I have been having all of these symptoms and many more peculiar pains and ailments, no medical diagnosis can be found as these things change from one day to the next sometimes going away sometimes not.  I am currently awaiting a brain scan im convinced theyll find nothing there either.  I have been through a stressful divorce and am now fine but my ailments are getting worse.  I have since been doing my own research and suggest anyone else who has these symptoms with no apparent medical solution researches KUNDALINI awakening you will be very surprised and may find some answers, if my scan is clear i have a good idea of how to find a resolution to my pain.
I have the same issue. Mostly it's on my stomach. And 100% of the time it appears about a day/ day of me coming down with a cold or flu. I definitely believe its viral-related. I had chicken pox when I was younger, so I'm wondering if its the herpes zoster virus trying to make an appearance as shingles, but not quite getting there. I've heard people with shingles describe their pain to similar to my skin tenderness, but x 100. Like I said, my skin tenderness appears around the day I start feeling sick. It lasts about 2-3 days, same as my cold/flu. It's always this annoying/tender/raw skin feel. I've been experiencing this periodically since I was about 8-9 yrs old, now I am 25. I ve never been to doc for this. Im generally healthy, usually get a cold about once a year/ once every other year. I hope this helps.
To everyone who is experience this strange unexplained pain or senstitivity, you may have ciliac's disease or just a sensitivity to gluten.  Stop eating all wheat products for 1 month (no cheating) and see if the pain goes away.  I suffered similar pains and discomfort for 3 years, visiting doctor's monthly and getting every test known to man.  I was incorrectly diagnosed with Lupus and then Fibromyalgia when my problem was actually a glugen intolerance.  After 1 month of a very strict diet, I was pain free.  It's worth a try!
I just recently started having this sunburn sensation on the right side of my neck  have had it for about 2 straight weeks. I just got over a flu like illness came down with a sinus infection which I started taking a generic Bactrim for then I came down with a throbbing ear ache and suddenly this neck sensitivity to touch no rash bumps sunburn scratches or laserations I'm wondering if possibly this could be a reaction to the antibiotics I was taking wondering also if anybody else with these symptoms might have recently started a new medication.

Oh my gosh, YES.  This has been going on with me for the past 3 years or so and increasing in frequency.  The only thing I've been able to put it down to is also a very strange manifestation of HSV-2 which I've had for 10 years.  It would be crazy if that's the case!  Maybe they don't know as much about it as they think they do...
Omg, me too! I notice i get skin sensitivity around the time of a break out.  It started  on the upper back of my legs.  Now its down the rest and to my feet.  So sensitive its painful.  Theres nothing on line in this connection but it is connected, im dealing with it.
i have had these same symptoms have you figured out what it was? Thanks
Couldn't connect with the site for use of Apple Cider.  I'm interested.

Thanks,
My husband had a similar problem. He started taking Magnesium citrate - 530 mg / day.  The pain is absolutely gone! Just straight Magnesium - no calcium.
Did you ever find out what the issue was?.  I've had a couple of occassions with very sensitive localized skin sensitivity. No redness, swelling or other symptoms. Just very painful to the touch. Then it goes away after 2-5 days.
I had shingles years ago, which was sililar but more widespread...and lasted much longer....weeks.
Jay
I also recently started experiencing a similar feeling of "sunburn" and severe sensitivity on my right side, below my armpit down to my waist. This is the second time in a year I've had this. I had Bell's Palsy in 1994 with a relapse in 2007, and found out the Bell's is brought on by a variant of the Herpes Simplex Virus (HSV). I don't have a rash or any bumps (thinking it may be shingles), but I suspect it may be a form of shingles, since I have the HSV in my system. Both times, prior to the onset of the feeling of sunburn, I have felt extremely exhausted, had a sore throat and a feeling like I was coming down with the flu. Both times that I had Bell's Palsy, I had the same symptoms also (I had to take Prednisone both times to alleviate the "droopy" eyes, nose, mouth and right side of my face). I now have found that GABA, taken orally, eliminates the "sunburn" issue fairly quickly-within 2-3 days. I firmly believe that what I am experiencing is related to my Bell's Palsy, and the HSV. Interestingly enough, both times I experienced Bell's Palsy, I was in Greece, and had contracted the flu (stationed there in the military the first time, and visiting the second time). The two times that I experienced this "burning" sensation, I had also just gotten over what I thought was the flu. I believe there is a huge correlation between my getting Bell's Palsy, and now experiencing what appears to be Shingles. I purchased my GABA over the counter from a company called NutraBio. It has helped me immensely, lessened the skin "burning" sensation and pain that follows.
Has anyone considered chronic Lyme disease?  I have had the same issues but cannot find an answer.  I have been tested for almost everything.  MS, lead poisoning, stds, vitamin deficiencies.  Nothing g has come up positive.  My md gets back in July I plan on ask about chronic Lyme disease but thought I would ask this forum too.
33 year old man in good health. I have had the sunburn for 2 years now on and off all down my back,my backside and backs of my legs,very occasionally migrates to my arms and face. I get hip and knee pain to whether that is related i don't know. I have had many tests done and no answers. I still swim and cycle but truth be told i,m giving up hope and am losing the will. I would give anything for somebody to flick the switch and turn the pain off.
I have had this since I was 24 - it is progressively getting worse. Mine will last up to 2 weeks and I get general malaise with it now and sometimes if feels as if it is going into my bones! It will start in one area - lower ankle, and by the end of the day may have moved up to my inner knee. That is where it originated... now I get these sensations around my ribs and inner thigh.... mostly all right sided. I have had it happen on the left side 2 times - I am now 52.
I have been tested for lupus and MS... labs all normal also. Have you been able to come up with any kind of diagnosis yet? I have a neurologist and he is at his wits end with it all.
I am 52, female, healthy as a horse except this.
I was diagnosed with Lyme Disease back in 2008. I was fairly lethargic, could sleep for up to 10-12 hours a day if allowed (weekends and off days from work), and had an odd sensitivity/numbness in the skin of my chest across my ribcage to my back. It took weeks of tests and having to listen to my doc tell me over and over that the tests indicated that I was "the model of health".  After browsing some random site I came across a post, buried in hundreds of other comments, describing sensitivity/numbness across their ribcage, extending from the inside of the pectoral to the center of the back.  They said to get tested for Lyme immediately.  After arguing with my doc and finally convincing them to test me for it, I came back positive.  Now, 6 years later, I am experiences similar symptoms.  The sensitivity only affects my right pectoral (mostly around my nipple) and I have muscle soreness (almost like a mild pull) in my right pec and lat.  After reading most of these comments and their symptoms I have to agree with you, Alidow.  I think it would be wise for everyone to at least ask for a screening for Lyme.  
i thought it was fybromyalgia
For about the last 2 weeks now my skin feels like I've been rolling in insulation,along with a sunburn type of pain.It is around my neck,on my stomach,and down my arms.I put on a long sleeved Henley today-but had to take it off because of the sensitivity. I don't see any rashes or bumps-so I have no clue as to what this can be.  I'm beginning to think it's possibly either insulation is being disturbed by the chipmunks in the crawl space,and the furnace is picking it up and spreading it in the air-or the only other thing I can think of is the possibility that-because I am staying in my travel trailer,and I'm dealing with moisture inside-I'm trying to see if Formaldehyde may be seeping out of the materials this thing was made from.  It's a newer unit-a 2010 Dutchmen-and I read the newer units are built with a lot of materials that contain this toxic substance.        I'm really looking for an answer,and some relief;
Viewing 201-255 comments: