Skin very sensitive to the touch
I have been experiencing very strange skin sensitivity for the last 3 weeks or so.  It all started with one little spot on my ribcage about the size of a softball.  The skin felt very sensitive and had like a "sunburned" feel to it - it especially bothered me when my shirt would rub up against it a certain way.  Well, it eventually spread around to my whole rib cage area and was very bothersome.  Some days the feeling would be worse than others.  It seemed that each day the feeling would slowly move upwards and eventually the feeling was all around my breasts making it extremely difficult to wear a bra.  It slowly went away for almost 2 days but then the same feeling came back but this time it was on the underside of my forearm.  Same exact feeling, just a different location. It also all of a sudden appeared on one little spot on my foot and also on my pelvic bone area.  Currently, it is bothering me really bad on my lower abdomen and the top of my buttocks, all the way around my body.  The feeling seems to be more intense on the left side of my body though.  Again, it feels very sensitive to the touch, almost like I have been sunburned and it really bothers me when my clothes brush up against it.   There is absolutely no redness, bumps or lesions of any kind.  The pain doesn't feel very deep either, it is just on the skin.  

Now I don't know if this is related to the strange skin sensitivity or not but about 4 days ago I started feeling this really weird sensation behind my left eye.  It almost feels like I have to strain to move my eyeball to the left and when I do, I kind of have a dizzy feeling.  I know this all sounds really weird but I feel like I have started to fall apart since the new year rang in!  I have always been a perfectly healthy individual.  I'm a 31 year old female, have 2 young healthy boys and am married.  I have no stress in my life whatsoever so I know this is not related to stress.  I have a dr's appt tomorrow morning at 8:30 but I wanted to know if anyone has heard of these weird sensations or know what it could possibly be?   Thanks for any help you can provide...

Jamie
Hi guys stumbled here looking for an answer, saw an earlia post about ms and I'm currently under going tests for this, so it kind of adds up, I've got skin sensitivity on my inner thigh left leg, but see what happens apon results but it's all tying in as ms with my other symptoms :-) finally getting answers
Thank you for sharing. I have the same sunburnt feeling except for its on my right thigh and my left arm and it only effects the top layer. in addition I have numbness and tingling in my back and sometimes hands and feet and my eyes hurt really bad sometimes and its not my eye sight. i've been seen a neurologist for about three months now and am currently awaiting results from some blood tests. I have already had two MRIs and he just ordered another one, he is trying to rule out MS.
This seems minor compared with the symptoms most of you suffer with, but I have a very painful area just to the right of my shin (right leg) that seems to follow the vein up to the knee.  Just touching it is extremely painful....6/10.  Any ideas?
I have had these same symptoms for a couple of days. Started around hip and upper buttocks area. Then around to my stomach. No redness. No bumps. Nothing I can see. Just very sensitive skin that almost feels like a sunburn and my clothes irritate it worse. Did you ever get a diagnosis?
Just a suggestion......you should probably start a new post since this one is so long and outdated.  

Sounds like you could be dealing with Meralgia Paresthetica, which is entrapment and compression of the peripheral nerve originating at L4/L5 and coarsing through the hip area.
thank you for sharing your story. I am having very similiar sensitive skin that seems to move around my body... and is super painful to have clothes on, which is unfortunate as I must wear clothing!! lol
how are you since your post? I have not seen a Dr yet. I've had these symptoms for 2 weeks now. It seems there are a lot of possibilities.
I went to the Dr today, he gave me a B12 shot and said to get some good rest,I have had this sunburn sensation for the first time and hopefully the last time , it started Friday night and has just gotten worse. Cloths hurt, touch hurt's... a shower hurt. And yes I do have a new cold sore..intresting.
I have just read 2 mo. worth of everyones "Sensitive Sunburned Skin" felling.  Don't know if anyone else has noticed that everyone seems to hurt on the LEFT side.  I have had this sensation.... over and over on my LEFT side in the same areas. Left thigh runs up to the groing area to the backside of left buttocks area. Sometimes down to my inner left calf.  Cold is excruciating pain for me.  To the touch of anything cold or when I get goose pumps.. Yes I have Herpes.  I'm truly believing that this has a strong connection to mine and everyone elses sencitivity to the skin..I am going to go to my Dr. and mention Allodynia and Reflex Sypathetic Dystrophy. Both mentioned above.  I will also do my own reserch on these just to bone up before i go to the Dr.  My symptoms can last as long as 2 weeks.  Looking desperatly to a cure.  Good Luck everyone.  Will post any news as it comes.  
Did you ever find out the cause behind this? And did you find a way to stop it? I've been experiencing it off and on for probably 10 years... I am now 23. I have an appointment with a neurologist next week because it has gotten worse and more frequently occurring lately. In the mean time I was wondering what you had found out about yours since it sounds like we're experiencing the exact same thing! Thanks!
Hmm, I agree with Sunshine (above)...are there any conclusions? I have skin sensitivity as well. It's not horrible, but still limiting...
I have been having all of these symptoms and many more peculiar pains and ailments, no medical diagnosis can be found as these things change from one day to the next sometimes going away sometimes not.  I am currently awaiting a brain scan im convinced theyll find nothing there either.  I have been through a stressful divorce and am now fine but my ailments are getting worse.  I have since been doing my own research and suggest anyone else who has these symptoms with no apparent medical solution researches KUNDALINI awakening you will be very surprised and may find some answers, if my scan is clear i have a good idea of how to find a resolution to my pain.
I have the same issue. Mostly it's on my stomach. And 100% of the time it appears about a day/ day of me coming down with a cold or flu. I definitely believe its viral-related. I had chicken pox when I was younger, so I'm wondering if its the herpes zoster virus trying to make an appearance as shingles, but not quite getting there. I've heard people with shingles describe their pain to similar to my skin tenderness, but x 100. Like I said, my skin tenderness appears around the day I start feeling sick. It lasts about 2-3 days, same as my cold/flu. It's always this annoying/tender/raw skin feel. I've been experiencing this periodically since I was about 8-9 yrs old, now I am 25. I ve never been to doc for this. Im generally healthy, usually get a cold about once a year/ once every other year. I hope this helps.
To everyone who is experience this strange unexplained pain or senstitivity, you may have ciliac's disease or just a sensitivity to gluten.  Stop eating all wheat products for 1 month (no cheating) and see if the pain goes away.  I suffered similar pains and discomfort for 3 years, visiting doctor's monthly and getting every test known to man.  I was incorrectly diagnosed with Lupus and then Fibromyalgia when my problem was actually a glugen intolerance.  After 1 month of a very strict diet, I was pain free.  It's worth a try!
I just recently started having this sunburn sensation on the right side of my neck  have had it for about 2 straight weeks. I just got over a flu like illness came down with a sinus infection which I started taking a generic Bactrim for then I came down with a throbbing ear ache and suddenly this neck sensitivity to touch no rash bumps sunburn scratches or laserations I'm wondering if possibly this could be a reaction to the antibiotics I was taking wondering also if anybody else with these symptoms might have recently started a new medication.

Oh my gosh, YES.  This has been going on with me for the past 3 years or so and increasing in frequency.  The only thing I've been able to put it down to is also a very strange manifestation of HSV-2 which I've had for 10 years.  It would be crazy if that's the case!  Maybe they don't know as much about it as they think they do...
Omg, me too! I notice i get skin sensitivity around the time of a break out.  It started  on the upper back of my legs.  Now its down the rest and to my feet.  So sensitive its painful.  Theres nothing on line in this connection but it is connected, im dealing with it.
i have had these same symptoms have you figured out what it was? Thanks
Couldn't connect with the site for use of Apple Cider.  I'm interested.

Thanks,
My husband had a similar problem. He started taking Magnesium citrate - 530 mg / day.  The pain is absolutely gone! Just straight Magnesium - no calcium.
Did you ever find out what the issue was?.  I've had a couple of occassions with very sensitive localized skin sensitivity. No redness, swelling or other symptoms. Just very painful to the touch. Then it goes away after 2-5 days.
I had shingles years ago, which was sililar but more widespread...and lasted much longer....weeks.
Jay
I also recently started experiencing a similar feeling of "sunburn" and severe sensitivity on my right side, below my armpit down to my waist. This is the second time in a year I've had this. I had Bell's Palsy in 1994 with a relapse in 2007, and found out the Bell's is brought on by a variant of the Herpes Simplex Virus (HSV). I don't have a rash or any bumps (thinking it may be shingles), but I suspect it may be a form of shingles, since I have the HSV in my system. Both times, prior to the onset of the feeling of sunburn, I have felt extremely exhausted, had a sore throat and a feeling like I was coming down with the flu. Both times that I had Bell's Palsy, I had the same symptoms also (I had to take Prednisone both times to alleviate the "droopy" eyes, nose, mouth and right side of my face). I now have found that GABA, taken orally, eliminates the "sunburn" issue fairly quickly-within 2-3 days. I firmly believe that what I am experiencing is related to my Bell's Palsy, and the HSV. Interestingly enough, both times I experienced Bell's Palsy, I was in Greece, and had contracted the flu (stationed there in the military the first time, and visiting the second time). The two times that I experienced this "burning" sensation, I had also just gotten over what I thought was the flu. I believe there is a huge correlation between my getting Bell's Palsy, and now experiencing what appears to be Shingles. I purchased my GABA over the counter from a company called NutraBio. It has helped me immensely, lessened the skin "burning" sensation and pain that follows.
Has anyone considered chronic Lyme disease?  I have had the same issues but cannot find an answer.  I have been tested for almost everything.  MS, lead poisoning, stds, vitamin deficiencies.  Nothing g has come up positive.  My md gets back in July I plan on ask about chronic Lyme disease but thought I would ask this forum too.
33 year old man in good health. I have had the sunburn for 2 years now on and off all down my back,my backside and backs of my legs,very occasionally migrates to my arms and face. I get hip and knee pain to whether that is related i don't know. I have had many tests done and no answers. I still swim and cycle but truth be told i,m giving up hope and am losing the will. I would give anything for somebody to flick the switch and turn the pain off.
I have had this since I was 24 - it is progressively getting worse. Mine will last up to 2 weeks and I get general malaise with it now and sometimes if feels as if it is going into my bones! It will start in one area - lower ankle, and by the end of the day may have moved up to my inner knee. That is where it originated... now I get these sensations around my ribs and inner thigh.... mostly all right sided. I have had it happen on the left side 2 times - I am now 52.
I have been tested for lupus and MS... labs all normal also. Have you been able to come up with any kind of diagnosis yet? I have a neurologist and he is at his wits end with it all.
I am 52, female, healthy as a horse except this.
I was diagnosed with Lyme Disease back in 2008. I was fairly lethargic, could sleep for up to 10-12 hours a day if allowed (weekends and off days from work), and had an odd sensitivity/numbness in the skin of my chest across my ribcage to my back. It took weeks of tests and having to listen to my doc tell me over and over that the tests indicated that I was "the model of health".  After browsing some random site I came across a post, buried in hundreds of other comments, describing sensitivity/numbness across their ribcage, extending from the inside of the pectoral to the center of the back.  They said to get tested for Lyme immediately.  After arguing with my doc and finally convincing them to test me for it, I came back positive.  Now, 6 years later, I am experiences similar symptoms.  The sensitivity only affects my right pectoral (mostly around my nipple) and I have muscle soreness (almost like a mild pull) in my right pec and lat.  After reading most of these comments and their symptoms I have to agree with you, Alidow.  I think it would be wise for everyone to at least ask for a screening for Lyme.  
i thought it was fybromyalgia
For about the last 2 weeks now my skin feels like I've been rolling in insulation,along with a sunburn type of pain.It is around my neck,on my stomach,and down my arms.I put on a long sleeved Henley today-but had to take it off because of the sensitivity. I don't see any rashes or bumps-so I have no clue as to what this can be.  I'm beginning to think it's possibly either insulation is being disturbed by the chipmunks in the crawl space,and the furnace is picking it up and spreading it in the air-or the only other thing I can think of is the possibility that-because I am staying in my travel trailer,and I'm dealing with moisture inside-I'm trying to see if Formaldehyde may be seeping out of the materials this thing was made from.  It's a newer unit-a 2010 Dutchmen-and I read the newer units are built with a lot of materials that contain this toxic substance.        I'm really looking for an answer,and some relief;
did you ever find your diagnosis?  I know you posted this two years ago but I am just curious because your post caught my attention because I have the same symptoms as you do.  L5S1 herniation, severe skin sensitivity on my arms legs, back, thighs.  I have been diagnosed with Sjogrens syndrome by a dr. not by a rheumatologist and I am thinking he is wrong.  I had him do a lupus panel on me two years ago and it came back positive and he told me the same thing as you.  It came back positive but I don't think you have lupus I think you have Sjogrens.  I had never heard of it before.  Funny thing is I don't have dry mouth or dry eyes.  I do however have dry skin.  I don't know.  I think I have Raynaud's syndrome and lupus and rheumatoid arthritis.  I am getting frustrated with all of this.  No one can seem to figure out how to treat me or to diagnose anything.  I live in a rural area of Missouri where no dr. has any experience with this.  I don't have money to travel to Kansas City where I am sure they will be able to help.  My doctors hate it when I self diagnose when they are stumped and I tell them what I think I have.  I can understand them, but I have researched this for years and can come up with a better solution than them.  But it just makes them think I am a loony and they shut me down and prescribe me with either a Medrol pack or tramadol prescription and send me on my way.  Grrrrr.  
Herpes? Lyme? MS? MRIs? Neurological tests? Come on people! Everyone needs to be rational about this.  Some very good suggestions were made early in this thread suggesting vitamin/mineral imbalance. I've had this condition for three years in my left elbow.  After reading these hysterical responses I decided to take a cheap popular men's multi vitamin. (I'm not going to say which one lest everyone will think I rep the company).  I felt better within 12 hours.  After two days it's gone.  I don't know if it's a magnesium issue, calcium, b12, iron or Vit C but they are all contained in my multi.  Please try the simple, easy and cheap solutions first before resorting to expensive testing.
I have dealt with the same symptoms for years.  My Dr. has no idea as to what it is.  Have you figured it out?  I don't know of anyone who deals with this sensitivity.  If you know what it is and what we can do about it, please share the info. with me.
Do you have fibromyalgia? This can cause it. I have sensitive skin on different parts of my body when mine flares up. Talk to your doctor.
I am a 35 year old healthy male and had the sensitive skin from my back, around my rib cage, to my chest.  I am a bit of a hypochondriac so I found this very concerning.  I tried to pay attention to my symptoms in an attempt to figure out what may be the cause.  Here is what I noticed:

1) I had one of the worst sinus infections that I can recall 3 days prior to my symptoms
2) I had a deep knot which felt like a pinched nerve in my back

Other than those 2 things, everything else was normal.  The pain lasted for about the same amount of time as the pain in my back.  I believe that it was either some viral infection or caused by a deep pinched nerve.  I never went to my primary care, but I did go to the chiropractor for 2 weeks, 5 sessions.  After 3 weeks, the burning skin sensation finally went away.  

I do not think it is caused by anything serious, but at the time of the initial symptoms it really freaked me out.  I hope by me letting you know that it will go away, that it will help ease other peoples minds.
Hope you see this response although it's been over 3 yrs since you posted.  I read your post this a.m. about the vitamin C.  I just happened to have 2 packets of EmergenC in my desk at work.  I mixed both in aprox 12 oz of water and drank it down really quick.  Within 20 minutes the pain was gone.  but 3 hrs has passed and now its starting back up.  You are on to something with this vitamin c thing, but I'm not sure I can take it every 3 hrs.  Any suggestions????
Oh sure you can, Lefty. Vitamin C is the safest molecule known to man. I take 25-30,000 mg per day. never had a cold or flu or illness in 2 years since starting this. No allergies either. Yes, that other poster was DEFINITELY on to something. Vitamin C is exactly what is needed here, for many reasons.  
I have the same sensitivity to the touch, but on the right side shoulder, to the back, around neck area too.  But along with the sensitivity, I have soreness in the muscles, and I have numbness and tingling down the right arm, and constant numbness in the thumb, and forefinger. This has gone on for over a week now. Help!!
I heard just the opposite.  My friend's father had shingles, and as soon as he was well, she had to get him in for a shot to prevent another outbreak.
I know the answer.

I also know that I'm about three years too late in giving you that answer.  
Not that it would matter, since it happens to be a problem that no one in this Godforsaken world knows how to fix.

It would surprise me, though, if you and so many other "victims" in this forum, haven't found the answer yourselves by now. I can assure you an answer will not come from a doctor!  

You mentioned having taken antibiotics.  If one of those antibiotics was a fluoroquinolone, such as Ciprofloxacin, Levaquin, Avelox, et al, you have your answer.  

ALL of the problems you describe and THEN some, can be, and probably are, attributal to a fluoroquinolone.

This awful poison, designed to kill anthrax and also used as a chemotherapy drug, wreaks havoc with your system, destroying it at the molecular level.  The ramifications of what it does to our health is unimaginable, as is the number of people suffering because of it.

But it's all right here on the web, where thousands of sufferers can tell their stories.  And they do....in droves. They call themselves floxies, and they will tell you how once they were healthy men and women, then fluoroquinolones changed their lives forever.

I HATE being the messenger of such bad news; but because I am a victim of fluoroquinone toxicity as well, I just feel the need to warn others.  

One more thing:  Beware of having any procedure done in which you are anesthetized, as hospitals give fluoroquinolones intravenously, routinely, during operations.  

Veterinarians also give fluoroquinolones to pets.
Try the website bacteriality.com or Marshall protocol.  Seems like sarcoidosis and/or chronic lyme for me.   I have similar symptoms and just came across it recently.  Think it may be helpful but haven't had the chance to try it yet.  If anyone has had success/failure with this program, please post.
All.  I'm sorry I never replied with the outcome to this.  It turned out to be Multiple Sclerosos (MS). I went on Neurontin for the symptoms and Copaxone injections for the MS progression.  
That is just nuts. I have the same symptoms. Pain and sensitivity on one side of face and scalp. Skin is irritate but no rash. Scalp gets patches of what seems like eczema often. The skin sensitivity doesn't happen all the time, but I've noticed that it usually precedes a sore inside my nose. So strange that you mention all of this.

Please, someone tell me what is going on?!
I have the same problem.
I am 28, 18 weeks pregnant.
I have had this for 3 days, just all of a sudden my thighs started burning/hurting like a bruised sunburn where my pants rubs it really hurts, then next day it moved up to my hips and back of my shoulders so my bra and underware rubbing really bothered me. Then today it has gone down my left leg to my toes and my socks are bothering me.
Reading all of the options is seriously scaring me. I just cant be pregnant and get Shingles or Lyme or MS :'( seeing almost 300 posts and no one seems to be able to put their finger on it. I am going to call my doctor but I am not convinced that he will have anything helpful to say.
Finally someone in my same boat! I am 6 weeks pregnant and last Wednesday, my skin on my rib age started hurting. Then it's started moving to all over my stomach and back. The next day it spread to my thighs and my right arm. It just kept moving around! Finally, a couple days later, I went to urgent care and the doc had never heard of such a thing.  Got blood work done and got the results back of a high white blood cell count, which the doc says means some kind of infection. A week later, the pain is gone, but I'm getting more blood work done. I really need to know what happened, and has it affected my baby:(
Just wanted to let people know the outcome of my tests because some people have been asking. It was peripheral neropathy. I had MRIs with and without contrast, and EEG, and nerve conduction tests. I had all of these in 2007. All tests ruled out MS. They think it was my body's reaction to stress. I started having numbness in one of my legs earlier this year and had the whole MS work up again and again all negative. Said it was stress again. It's unbelievable what stress can do to your body. They told me to start yoga. One of the main symptoms of MS that I didn't have was pain behind the eye. I never had anything like that. I do still get the sunburned skin feeling if I am feeling stressed but it goes away after a couple of days. The first time it happened, it took close to a month or two to go away.
this is so late, but maybe you'll get an email about it. I'd look into CRPS (RSD) if I were you - that happened to me after a fracture, and I had osteopenia. The Cleveland Clinic diagnosed me and it's been sort of in remission for almost 10 years now.
Similar symptoms; extremely sensitive skin across left side of trunk, particularly on my stomach. Sheets brushing over while sleeping would wake me with a sunburn-like spurt of excruciating pain, loose fitting shirts were impossible to wear. Visited physician last week, dude said it is classic vitamin B-6 deficiency. Been taking 100mg daily for four days and symptoms dramatically reduced. Just sayin'.
I may have found a solution for some. I have had the same symptoms as the first people who posted. After a particularly difficult flamenco class, hair flipping, swirling and such. I started to feel 'off'. The next day I had extreme skin sensitivity on my right side between my hip and rib. Pressing on the area did not create more pain. I figured it was just the usual muscle achy stuff, so I iced it for several days. A week later it was still sore and I was sleepy more than usual. I took ibuprofen for two days and the sensitivity went away, so that tells me it is some kind of inflammation. Sugar affects me rather poorly (and is the cause of most inflammation) and I figured the sleepiness was due to my gradually taking in more sugar than usual. On day 8 of the skin sensitive, I cut out all forms of sugar, gluten, lactose, everything. I work for a chiropractor and got adjusted. He also speculated as in the above posts that it could be a pinched nerve or shingles. It's day 12 and I feel a lot better! Less sleepy and I don't require and ice pack for sitting long periods at work. Still no sugar and got adjusted again today. Although, last night the skin sensitivity is also of my forearm. Mild but still sensitive. I will continue to update.....
What was the name of the vitamin c drink please
It is mostly likely the herpes virus. L Arginine  feeds herpes and l lysine keeps it in check. You need to take 3000 mg l lysine at the onset and for a couple of days then 1000 mg a day to keep it away. The 1000 mg can be obtained through food sources too. Google lysine-arginine ratio in foods and try to consume more high lysine foods.
this is not an answer but I have a similar thing going on.  more a nuisance than anything else.   what did you find out at the doctors?   my email ***@**** if you prefer.

Ray
Same here, I would like to know too. I went to the doc. But didn't  find anything wrong.
Same experience.. sensitive skins on abdoman and thighs. Seems like Shingles without a rash. BUT I have never had the chickenpox but did get the vaccine for it. Seems like some connection with HSV.. which creeps along the nerves. Anyone know about Shingles without rash or chicken pox? It seems to get better with acyclovir but its not working this time.. grr
Sounds like shingles.