Neurology Community
Slow decline in hand coordination and dexterity.

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

My coordination has never been the best, in part due to a neuromuscular disorder, and I've always moved fairly cautiously to compensate for this, however, as a child my hand coordination was average, and I even got pretty good at card tricks and hand tricks for a while when I got interested in magic when I was about 10.

However, when I was 16, I noticed my hands started to feel a little more sluggish as I typed. Since then, over the past 10 years, my hand coordination and dexterity has slowly deteriorated. It's not absolutely horrible but it's not much better than my 83 year old grandmother's, and often times it's worse. I had to avoid stocking anything in glass jars at work because I was afraid I'd fumble and break them all. I have a very difficult time handling thin objects like card decks and money. It seems I lack the fine control over my hands that would allow me to sick through them quickly, and I will inevitably drop something when I go to pay at a cash register. I also have a hard time handling very light objects like plastic cup lids...I have a difficult time grasping them, and in class I lag behind my classmates in note taking so bad that I now need someone to take notes for me.

It's very much like I have the coordination and dexterity of a very old person or someone who lost their gloves in the winter.

I've had a nerve conduction test and it came back fine. My neurologist feels the problem is due to my neuromuscular disorder, and I'm sure it contributes, but I'm skeptical that it is the source of the problem because this feels a little different.

I went through a period when I was 16 where I had what seemed to be some small seizures. Whichever kind causes one leg to shake, or you to blank out for a second.

About a year and a half ago I started to develop myoclonus, which tends to improve if I can sleep 8 hours straight but comes back within a few days if I don't.

But now I have a slight tremor in my hands on top of my coordination problems, which gets worse the more I use my hands.

Does anyone have any ideas what might be causing the slow loss of coordination and dexterity? I'd really just like to get rid of that more than anything because I am unable to take any jobs that I have to work cash registers at and it's impacting my school work.