Neurology Community
Spots on Brain on MRI

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Spots on Brain on MRI

I am 30 years old I have had headaches for over a month I had an MRI to look for Sinus problems.  There were none.  They did however find several spots on my Brain.  What causes them? I do not have have any other symptoms.  I am scared that I may develop MS, Alzheimer's or dementia.  What are the possibilities?  I am other wise healthy.  I have a 4 year old and a 5 1/2 year old.  Can brain spots be reversed? I have been in a few car accidents but was never tested for head injuries.  I ma having a MRI of my neck and spinal cord, a spinal tap to look for diseases, and a VER test.  Help I need to know what to expect.
Sincerely,
Kaia
Thank you young at heart!!  I am mainly concerned due to the amount of spots found.  The neurologist said that I have considerably more than I should for a healthy 30 year old. My Family Dr. said a 30 year old should not have any spots on his/her brain.  I am picking up the CD rom of my brain today with the radiologist report on it.  
It is nice to know that MS is livable. Your comments are reassuring. I am making plans for long term health care now just in case it is MS, alzheimer's or dementia.  Once diagnosed it is very difficult and expensive to obtain coverage.  My husband is in the military and dealing with our insurance is trying to say the least.
Thank you again. Kaia
The test your Doctor is doing is to check for MS.Don't panic.You are under very good care of your Dr.Most Drs.take the wait and see approach when spots(lesions) appear on a MRI,since the only symptom you have is  headaches.He's being aggressive on figuring it out.
When MS is caught in the earlier stage it can be treated(not cured)this lessons attacks and symptoms.Which is a big plus.
I have MS and it wasn't detected until after the damage was done.I have 4 children.MS is livable and many people only have one or two attacks for years.Its an individual disease.
If you have any questions, I'll answer them the best I can.Staying positive is the key to this disease.
Please keep in mind its not the number of lesions that detemines a disabilty its the location.When demyelination occurs,it can occur in the white and grey matter of the brain,spine and spinal fluid.Mine is contained only to the spinal fluid(very rare)so it causes much havic to my sensororial nervous system.It has effected my eyes, ears and right leg.It has left me with severe muscle spasms.But all treatable by daily med maintance.
Our body has a way of repairing ourselves through a natural process.In early stage of MS the demyelination can be remyelinated and the lesions healed.
I function very well,I wear bifocals,leg braces and eventually hearing aides.I have adapted and learned limitations.I stay as active as I can or when my body tolerates it.I attend my sons football games,the girls cross country meets.I pretty much do what I have in the past.I can't run a marathon or lift heavy objects,it takes me longer to do things,but its all livable.You'll have good days and bad.remember stress will make symptoms worse.
Well here it is the radioligist findings.  I am trying real hard not to frak out but none of the listed ailments seem like any fun to me. I am after all only 30 and I was seen for
MRI of the brain before and after administration of IV gadolinium
contrast.
History: 30-year-old female complaining of frontal headaches and
dizziness and fatigue. Migraine medicines have not helped.
Findings: MRI of the brain was performed in varying planes and pulse
sequences before and after administration of IV gadolinium contrast.
There is no MRI evidence of intracranial hemorrhage mass, mass-effect
or shift of midline structure. The ventricular system and cortical
sulci and basilar cisterns appear to be relatively normal in size
shape and position for age. The diffusion-weighted sequences do not
demonstrate MRI evidence of restricted diffusion. Following
administration of IV gadolinium contrast no abnormal enhancement is
identified. 15 to 20 punctate foci of subcortical white matter signal
hyperintensity are present in the left and right frontal lobes. The
temporal, parietal lobes, basal ganglia, brainstem and posterior
fossa structures are relatively spared. The sagittal inversion
recovery sequences do not demonstrate involvement of the corpus
callosum. None of these lesions enhance. The lack of enhancement
suggests against an active process.
Opinion: The findings of this many scattered T2 white matter signal
hyperintensities in a 30-year-old female is abnormal. Differential
considerations include but are not limited to demyelinating processes
such as multiple sclerosis, infectious or inflammatory disorders,
migrainous white matter disease or perhaps a posttraumatic change.
I'm an ex-military man, now 35 years old.  (Canadian military)

I was diagnosed with MS in 1998, when I was 27.  I started having 'phantom' nerve twinges that travelled all over my body.  Luckily for me, the first doctor I saw was a visiting student doctor from India.  She listened to my symptoms, and then very seriously said to me 'I'm sorry, but that sounds like Multiple Sclerosis.'  Now, at the time I had NO knowledge of what MS was.  But I did a LOT of research.

I too had many spots on my very first MRI.  This is ONE of the things they look for before giving you the diagnosis of MS.  That sounds scarier than it actually was...I functioned very well until 2004, when I had a bad car accident which unfortunately made my MS much worse.  I had a relapse a year or so, but the symptoms went away within a month.  My wife at the time was very supportive. (we are no longer a couple but remain good friends)

What is the point to my meandering diatribe?  MS is a serious disease, but its not the 'end of the world' as you know it.  As the other poster said, you have to learn to accept your new limitations, but if you do that you will find your life very livable.  My only advice would be about stress.  Try to avoid it as much as possible, because stress (physical and emotional) can trigger exasterbations of MS.  Try to adopt a 'don't worry, be happy!' attitude.  (This doesn't mean you should let your kids get away with blue murder...just means you shouldn't get stressed at/about them. :)

I spent 8 years in the military.  I got out about a year before I was diagnosed.  I REMEMBER things being much different than they are now.  I REMEMBER running a rope bridge with a weapon in one hand and a 80 lbs worth of webbing, ruck and ammunition on my back.  Nowadays, I use a mobility scooter because I have trouble walking.  I'm on permanent disability.

Do I regret this?  Not really.  Before I got MS I got to DO so much with my life.  And at 35, its not over!  Now, I write screenplays...TV and movies.  Is that what I ever imagined I would do with my life?  Not at all.  Do I regret it?  Not a bit.

Smiles and laughter
I just stumbled upon your writing about the spots on your brain and am interested to know how you are doing today, almost 2 years later? I am also 30 years old and i have 5 children and went in for an MRI last Friday,(for headache just off the center top left side of my head) the neurologist said that the only thing that was found was the spots on the brain. He told me not to worry, that he saw 10-12 of these cases a day. Sorry... i can't help but worry, He wants me to see him in 2 months for another test to make sure he didn't miss anything. Should i be more agressive or trust the neurologist?

30 and scared
I have a question if you dont mind please.

I've had sevral I.R.I.'s done with with sevral lesion's found. I've had dizziness, eye  problems (seeing double),numbness in my arms. I've had one doctor say it's MS and another its do to a protein s defecancy. The second doctor said its the protien s that caused the lesion's but I've looked it up and have never found anything saying protien s can cause lesions. I was on ms medication but I've been taken off of it. I also have some nerve damage in my feet (LOL) witch makes it hard to walk in the dark. The first time I was in the hospital witch I had it seems like a million test done including a spinal dec done (not pleassssant) by the first doctor. the second doctor is baseing the not ms because he said i cant have two rare diseases. I'm lost I dont what to do and im not sure whats wrong.
I am 41 yrs old and have been having chronic migranes (migraines) for over a year now.  I lost four days of work in one week due to the migranes (migraines).  I have had two MRI's done, one in November of last year and the other the first part of March. They have found several white spots deep inside my brain.  The dr.'s told me on my frist MRI that i could possibly have MS and he wanted a second opinion.  I went to a specialist in Billings, MT and the dr. up there told me he didn't think I had MS due to the fact I had no other symptoms of MS.  He had a bunch of blood work sent to the Mayo Clinic to see if I had been having TIA's and I haven't, but I carry a gene for having strokes.  I just had another MRI done the first part of March and there is no change in the spots.  They have put me on a medication to try and stop the migranes (migraines).  So, far I don't have as many as before.  So, if I don't have MS and haven't had any mini strokes, it still doesn't explain why I have all these little white spots on my brain.  i wish they would figure out why I have them and give me some answers.  by sheridan, wyoming
My 8 yr old daughter had a serious 6 hour surgery in November to remove a benign bone tumor and remodel her face where it was. She has healed perfectly but started having headaches 2 weeks later. Gradually they have gotten worse. She has a terrible headache everyday.She has become emotional at times and hyper. We went to a neurologist who said she was having migraines without really examining her or reading her history. We did an MRI with contrast and the report says that an area in the front left lobe lit up. This same doctor says that she didn't think it could cause headaches and she still thinks its just migraines. We are getting a second opinion but until then have no clue what to think. Should we be worried??