Neurology Community
Sweating on one side of head and face

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Sweating on one side of head and face

Dear Doctor

I have noticed on numerous occasions that I have started sweating fairly profusely on one side (left) of my head and face.  I thought it must be my imagination - but I have noticed it several times in the last couple of months.

tt can be fairly pronounced - i.e., the hair on the left side of my head will be wet and the right side will be dry.

I've noticed this during exertion and while at rest.

Is this possible?  It makes no sense to me at all.

What might cause this?

All the best.

Andrew
I also suffer from sweating at times solely on the left side of my head, I am new to this site as I was looking for answers to this 'Problem'
I also suffer from this problem have done so for about 20yrs, half red half white face,  red side sweats profusely while other side cool and dry ,back of head and hair wet with sweat .until it drips. if anyone has an answer please email me ,***@****  

( this message is for braidnew & andrew79)

Leave a Note
Send Message
Add as Friend

braidnew
Member since Jul 2008  

,
I have recently been diagnosed with Harlequin Syndrome, which is a very rare condition in which only half the face will sweat or flush. This is actually the normal side. I am still waiting for my insurance to approve me going to a teaching hospital, which is what GARD recomends. Genetic and Rare Diseases website. It has been found to be due to a lesion in the cervical or thoracic spine in some patients. I also read a recent article where a woman had a tumor pressing on her nerves in her chest that supply the face. More info on this is in the Dysautonomia and Neurology forums. There is a similar disease where the eye is also affected called Horners Syndrome. I would be grateful if anyone has more info on Harlequin. I am in insurance limbo right now. I also get overheated very quickly and sometimes have weakness in my legs and difficulty breathing when I go up steps.
OK guys me too! I thought I was crazy & so did my co-workers and clients but they witnessed it happening to me on more than one occasion. I do have a neck injury (cervical) and wondered when I met a kid in a wheel chair that was talking about it happening to him too, he said it was due to nerve damage from his accident.
It was like Christmas to have someone else say it was happening becuz now I didn;t feel crazy. BUT I still want more info. I see my pain management doc & plan on asking. Will let all know what I find out.
Hi All,

I have the same problem. I sweat solely on the right side of my face and head, in fact when I'm exercising I would have a distinct line down the centre of my face - one side tomato red and the other side white.
I have always had this issue. I had some major surgery as a baby so I'm not sure if this contributed to the problem.
Has anyone else found more information on this?
Thanks.
my 10 year old so has this same problem...i was just wondering if you knew more about this...i just contacted his doctor but what were some of the signs and symtoms (symptoms) that you may have had that i have to look for so i can slow my worring down and is there medicine you have to take for this and how soon should i get him to the doctor...

thanks you much,
jennifer,32
wisconsin
I am also pls advise
I am so glad to know there are others that are experiencing this!  I just started having this happen to me within the last week and I thought I was losing my mind.  The right side of my head/face/neckline becomes soaked with sweat to the point of looking like my right side was dunked in water.  I have some other medical issues and don't know if this is a symptom or just a strange occurrence considering it is only a week old.
Anyone with information please share as I am stumped.  I'm afraid my doctors will begin thinking I am a hypochondriac!
2107112936
Me too!
I used to get it for one day after a big night out along with other hang over probs but right now as I type I'm dripping sweat on the cheek on the left next to my nose and a little on my nose and left brow.I'ts the third day I've had it and it's getting to be quite annoying.Hope someone has some answers.I know botox was injected into my brothers palms to cure excessive sweating.can and should the same be applied to my face?Though more than anything I want to know why its happening first.Any med experts out there please get back to me cheers!
My friend she has half face and head sweat on left side.  She was found blood clot three weeks ago and treat with blood thinner.  She complained her right eye tire easily for 7 months.  She also has tumors grown on the right side of the neck and radiation treated.  She think the cancer treatments are related to her problem.  
I have had this for many years. Unlike your friend, most people can't seem to find a reason. There is an up to date group on Facebook where you can meet many people with this and similar issues: Ross Syndrome, Holmes-Adie Syndrome, Harlequin Syndrome and Horner's Syndrome. You will have to ask to join.
I too have the half face sweating thing and then the little droplets about my left eye. I have a fused vertebrae in the thoracic region so I'm guessing its created a lesion there as mentioned above.
I am also guessing there is nothing to cure it :)

Oh well, life has gone on so far..
I was half paralyzed in an truck wreck when I was 21, now 54, still have it, have had an ablation and brain surgery in since 2014, thought it had corrected, but it's back, plus a buzzing in my head from pinched veins in my brain, not fun, constant pain, have had both shoulders and one knee orthoscoped, scraped, parts removed. Mine was a direct result of the impact of the semi hitting the back of the cab of my flatbed. The hospital lost the records and managed to give me hep infected blood to boot. So had the interferion treatment. Last 20 years has been a real challenge, I am using Reiki now, Tai Chi saved me way back when, got me balanced again, I have practiced yoga all my life, and use physical therapy yearly, as well as trainers and belong to gyms and exercise classes. Move it or loose it. Hopefully reseach will be done into this more, I do know that Brighams and Womans Neurology Dept where I had my brain surgery, had and extensive dept specifically for microsurgery on the nerves in the spine that connect to the brain. My  very smart nefew just got into a premed summer high school program, the young man sees himself in medical imagery. Proud Aunty here, gotta boast.