Syrinx or not
Hi I developed pins and needle in 2009 amongst many other strange symptoms.  I was diadnosed with a syrinx from C3 to T8 and 4 mm at its widest part and opening of central canal down to L11 region without syrinx, incidental haemangioma and bulging discs at T7 and 8.  I recently went to a new neurologist who said that he wouldn't reall call it big enough to call it a syrinx and that thats where radiographers and neurologists differ.  I am very confused now because if this is not the cause of the feelings in my left leg and side amongst other weird symptoms what is.  I am dus to go back on 22nd of this month as I've had another MRI.

Hi...not sure what ur Dr means  it is too small to be called a syrinx....what else would it be?
We do have a forum that have others with syringomyelia as it is related to Chiari malformation that is the forum many post on about their syrinx's......

Do u have copies of ur MRI? ...Ur new MRI what area was it of...the cervical, thoracic spine or ur brain?

With a syrinx, many times they r too small to treat surgically with a stent or a shunt....but I never heard too small to be classified a syrinx....odd

http://www.medhelp.org/forums/Chiari-Malformation/show/257?controller=forums&action=show&id=257&camp=msc

I hope u pop over to the Chiari forum and chat with others with syringomyelia.
Thanks, thought I was missing something so I thought I'd put it out there.  I was in shock when he said it that I didn't say much.  New Mri is of cervical and thoracic.  Brain scan was clear in 2009 so no chiari.  I was expecting the watch and see approach which I am fine about but need a neurologist for this.  I was expecting what he said so I didn't challenge him on it but I will ask your exact question when I do.  Thanks for reply.
Just to update went back to Neurologist, he was far more concerned with it this time asked me If I realised it went down to T10 which I didn't got feeling he didn't realise, he was completely different this time still can't do anything but will monitor it again in 6 months.

Do u have copies of ur 2009 MRI? Many times we r told it is clear when in fact it is not, they just do not consider chiari something to be concerned with.And something is causing ur syrinx to grow.....

I wold ask for a redo on ur brain MRI and get copies of all MRI's and the reports....not all Drs know about this.

Good luck
Thanks not sure that it grew but I will ask him, my brain MRI was a film in an envelope and got lost between hospitals but it had been looked at by a neurologist and neurosurgeon so I'm told but I will ask, Thanks for the replies. I made sure I asked more questions this time but obviously still have more to ask.